Weather extremes

Started by j, August 11, 2007, 05:28:50

Previous topic - Next topic

crowbi_wan

I hear you, fiction.  While the weather here in Seattle isn't as extreme as what you are experiencing, we've gone from an absolutely gorgeous 70F day to 50F and rain.  Today is more typical for this time of year.  That little bit of California sunshine sure was nice, even if only for a day.   

lostflower4

Speaking of extremes... Here in Iowa (central U.S.) we've gone from this just a couple months ago:

(that was the parking lot of a local grocery store)

...to 87°F (31°C) just the other day.  :eek:

japanesebaby

it feels totally surreal to look at all those pics of snow now  :shock:

last winter we had more snow than ever, now it's been followed by an abnormally hot summer (the heat record +37 C).
thanks to all the heat, the thunderstorms have been really powerful, with powerful downburst winds.
a downburst is not exactly similar to a tornado but it can cause similar kind of heavy damage, damaging buildings and destroying entire forests, breaking trees like matchsticks etc.

i was on the path of a downburst yesterday and it was far from fun, i've never experienced anything like that. for a moment it made one feel like it's the end of the world. :eek:

in other parts of the country, one camping site with mobile holiday homes was pretty much destroyed:

Asta-myrsky 2010

also yesterday, a similar downburst caused serious damage on a music festival. the storm ripped off pieces of the main stage and a lot of people were injured by the flying debris, some critically:

http://www.yle.fi/uutiset/news/2010/08/injuries_at_sudden_storm_at_pori_music_festival_1888510.html

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

alwaysprayingforRAIN

honestly, when you turn on the news you see so much crazy shit going on these days i am not even surprised anymore.. let's bet what we get next: hurricane, flooding earthquake etc. etc.
Say hello on a day like today
Say it every time you move
The way that you look at me now
Makes me wish i was you

MeltingMan

Today I saw a somewhat different 'weather extreme' en miniature: a bee on a fresh grave -
attracted by the flowers. Bees are rare and it's January - a miracle.  :)
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

MeltingMan

To be honest: I miss the snow in our region. It's not only that he reflects the sunlight
when the days are short and deadened the noise from the streets but he also covers
the muddy areas with plastic waste, especially after flooding. Uprooted trees are depressing
as well. We had a lot of them after the last storm. That's why I do prefer walks on the cemetery.
It looks bearable even without snow - good for my nerves.

Ulrich

Quote from: MeltingMan on January 27, 2018, 19:59:12
To be honest: I miss the snow in our region.

I don't. Well the rest of it is melting away now... We had a lot and my back/shoulders were already hurting from shovelling too much snow.  :roll:

But in general: if the whole winter were without snow, yes I would miss something...
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

MeltingMan

We had 20cm in mid December but only for a couple of days. I miss also 'proper' rain
at times. When you're listening to The Same Deep Water As You, you can hear that special rain.

MeltingMan

Finally winter over Northern Germany though he turned on its home straight.
Last Sunday I saw the clouds drifting by in opposite directions at different altitudes.
The wind chill is so strong that I could barely walk for 30 minutes (-8℃) under a cloudless
sky. Beautiful - but the skin in my face hurts too much. Now it's tea time at home...

MeltingMan

Intense rain. I was soaked to the skin.

Ulrich

It's unusually warm for April here - but I won't complain, so I can go outside later. Also there is kind of a family gathering at the weekend, so that should be nice(r) with nice weather.  :)
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

A Strange Girl

It already feels like summer..."The sun is up, I'm so happy I could scream"  :)
...I think you come from another world...

MeltingMan

Here too. The Germans are crazy for ice cream. Is it already summer??

chemicaloverload

It's sunny in Glasgow, finally!  :smth004

TAPS AFF
Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves

MeltingMan

This week was the hottest so far. I had 28℃ in the living room (ground floor)
and then it rained - finally. I opened the window and thanked G*d. That was
in the afternoon. At noon I had visited the cemetery as well. The oak trees are
loosing their acorns in large numbers. I could
see they're suffering. The grass - burned - and I was alone and it was very quiet.
No wind. No singing bird. Strange moment...