Main Menu

Stupid question

Started by iwannashagsimon, December 25, 2007, 10:09:47

Previous topic - Next topic

melly

Oh...now THAT was easy.... THANKYOU hero for taking the time to tell me how to do it!! Took a couple of tries, but, I've got it now!! hallelujah!! another step forwards in understanding all this technical stuff!
Who said you can't teach old dogs new tricks hmmm??
"woof"   ;)
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

robiola

If it makes you feel better melly, when you asked I didn't answer because, although that's the way I do it, I figured there was probably some hip, shortcut way of doing partial quotes (if you're quoting a short part of a really long post it takes a bit!) and I would look silly telling you how I went about it.
That's just to say -- I'm no techie either, and there are a billion things I don't know, but hey -- we old girls born in typewriter days manage anyway, eh? ;)

melly

you bet!! at least these days, I don't get "the blue screen of death" on a regular basis!! I've been eager to know how to crop a quote, and finally had to ask, thus allowing all to see what a doodle head I really am when it comes to all this kinda thing!!   :smth043

baby steps...but gettin' there!!  :smth023
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

scatcat

Quote from: melly on January 12, 2008, 09:15:23
you bet!! at least these days, I don't get "the blue screen of death" on a regular basis!! I've been eager to know how to crop a quote, and finally had to ask, thus allowing all to see what a doodle head I really am when it comes to all this kinda thing!!   :smth043

baby steps...but gettin' there!!  :smth023

melly, it took me ages to figure this out... I had to ask help from my son !!!
DOH!! I felt like a fool!! ( I'm sure that computers will take over the world, at least, supersede us oldies!! DAMN!!)  :smth011
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

robiola

So, since this is the thread where we overcome embarrassment and admit to out little gaps in information or in technical ability that make us feel a bit inadequate... a little like group therapy, eh? Now it's my turn.

Hi, my name is robiola, and I don't know how to include a picture in my post using the img tags.  :oops:  :smth100

Carnage Visor

Quote from: robiola on January 24, 2008, 16:27:39
Hi, my name is robiola, and I don't know how to include a picture in my post using the img tags.  :oops:  :smth100

Hi, Robiola, nice to meet you again!  :P

[img ][ /img] it should look like that when you press the image icon in the editing portion of the message posting page...so all you have to do is insert a web adress with whatever picture you want in between those "[img]" thingamabobbers...and voila! You have a picture! (hopefully)

I hope I come across as helpful instead of snarky and pretentious. I don't even know what snarky means, but it sounds like what I'm not...

japanesebaby

Quote from: robiola on January 24, 2008, 16:27:39Hi, my name is robiola, and I don't know how to include a picture in my post using the img tags.  :oops:  :smth100

in order to use img tags the picture you want to include must already be uploaded somewhere in internet.
like this: let's take a "random" image:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1435/591990173_02819b0c57_o.jpg

now i put img tags around this same address, and we have this:

so img tags won't make it possible to include a pic that is on your hard drive. if you only have the pic on your computer,  in order to use img tags you need to upload it first to some service like www.imageshack.us - there're really a million similar services available in the web.
or, of course you can choose to upload the pic directly from your HD as an attachment, by clicking 'additional options'.

it might be good to remember that including lots of pics (especially large pics) in your message body can considerably slow down the uploading of that whole page. and for people viewing the site with slower connection than you this might become troublesome. so it often might be better to use attachment option for any larger images/for several images.

hope this helps!
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

robiola

Aaaahhh.. Thank you guys! I didn't realize it wasn't for posting pics from my computer, and it was driving me barmy that I couldn't figure it out!
I shall try it immediately:

Randomly chosen -- my beloved Gary Oldman. Will this work?

Edit: it worked! Thans again cv and jb. :-D

japanesebaby

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

scatcat

Hey Robiola... I only recently worked out how to post proper pics, thanks to JB!!
I felt like an utter idiot beforehand, not knowing how to do simple things!
I my have a "Curefan Master" rating ( I feel like a bit of a fraud !!)  :oops:
but nooo not a computer master!!   :smth023

Ask and there will always be someone to help you here !!  :D
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

robiola

Quote from: scatcat on January 25, 2008, 07:39:19
Hey Robiola... I only recently worked out how to post proper pics, thanks to JB!!
I felt like an utter idiot beforehand, not knowing how to do simple things!
I my have a "Curefan Master" rating ( I feel like a bit of a fraud !!)  :oops:
but nooo not a computer master!!   :smth023

Ask and there will always be someone to help you here !!  :D

Ha, and when these young techies start to feel they need some wrinkle-prevention advice, it'll be our turn to shine.

robiola

Ehm, it's me again. :oops:

Just another tiny question... I've been wondering for a while...
What the heck is a "sticky topic"?

iwannashagsimon

Quote from: robiola on February 08, 2008, 23:22:04
Ehm, it's me again. :oops:

Just another tiny question... I've been wondering for a while...
What the heck is a "sticky topic"?

A "sticky topic" is a topic that is popular or important so it's always kept on top and it never moves down like other topics.

For example:  http://curefans.com/index.php/board,1.0.html

The topics at the top of the page (the ones about the shirt and indroducing yourself..etc.) are the sticky ones.  They are topics that are important to Curefan.com members so they stay put.  Whilst other topics are forced down the list. 

Hope I explained that ok!!

robiola

@iwannashagsimon

Thank you kindly, ma'am.

scatcat

Quote from: iwannashagsimon on February 09, 2008, 16:37:54

A "sticky topic" is a topic that is popular or important so it's always kept on top and it never moves down like other topics.

For example:  http://curefans.com/index.php/board,1.0.html

The topics at the top of the page (the ones about the shirt and indroducing yourself..etc.) are the sticky ones.  They are topics that are important to Curefan.com members so they stay put.  Whilst other topics are forced down the list. 

Hope I explained that ok!!

I did not know this!!! I thought it meant it was a controversial topic  :shock:
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life