other things

Started by Steve, October 13, 2007, 00:01:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

QuoteAnd that is exactly what we are trying to prevent here!!  As I said before, the mods here are all former members of other boards.  We have all had bad experiences there.  That is why we try to keep this place in good working order.

Point taken there.
I just want to say that we all have the cure in common, but I think if we have that in common, then I am certain that there are other things we also have in common. I (personally) would like to talk, discuss etc. with other cure fans what else we may have in common (music, politics, sexual peferences, whatever) & feel like I am engaging with someone with the sme interests etc.
Imagine going out with your friends, who will more or les all have the same tastes etc., but it's the more or less that is the issue, i think.
I like the cure & iguess other cure fans may like things that I like, outside of the cure. Therefore, I think that it would be good to talk to them about other bands, what they like to eat, favourite clothes, how not to be too goffix etc... you know what I mean right?
But I really do not like it when threads are derailed.
Sorry for blablabla-ing, but I'm a little bit trashed this evening. :oops:
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

dsanchez

Quote from: Steve on October 13, 2007, 00:01:38
Therefore, I think that it would be good to talk to them about other bands, what they like to eat, favourite clothes, how not to be too goffix etc... you know what I mean right?

I totally agree with you. I guess we just must try to keep the balance in this forum, so that the "off-topic" won't pass the "Cure topics" often. Then it's really ok.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

Quote from: Steve on October 13, 2007, 00:01:38
QuoteAnd that is exactly what we are trying to prevent here!!  As I said before, the mods here are all former members of other boards.  We have all had bad experiences there.  That is why we try to keep this place in good working order.

Therefore, I think that it would be good to talk to them about other bands, what they like to eat, favourite clothes, how not to be too goffix etc... you know what I mean right?
But I really do not like it when threads are derailed.

yes, why not discuss other things too. i don't mind having this section here as long as people post meaningful and intelligent topics that  inspire someting that could be called a discussion. but if it's just about starting some loosely structured threads about just about anything just for a sake on chatting along, i don't see much point there. and i think the magic words you said "when threads are not derailed". the truth is that this section has been derailing heavily during the past few weeks with too many threads turning towards  spamlike chatter only, sorry. so like j said, we like to keep things here in good working order. this is meant to be an organized cure forum and not a chatline. so considering what you post and keeping things on-topic is to be required.
and like david said, the focus should be on the other boards. i personally find it a bit strange if somebody would want to hang around here mostly for a sake of this section but have nothing much to contribute to the cure-related topics/discussion. like i've said elsewhere, this attitude easily comes from places like the official site where the not only the threads 'open topics' board but mostly any other curer-related threads are full of unorganized spam and consecutive posts hardly have nothing to do with each other - not to mention they'd have much anything to do with the cure.
but let's not bring that mess around here.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

LuvURobert

QuoteI just want to say that we all have the cure in common, but I think if we have that in common, then I am certain that there are other things we also have in common. I (personally) would like to talk, discuss etc. with other cure fans what else we may have in common (music, politics, sexual peferences, whatever) & feel like I am engaging with someone with the sme interests etc.
Yes, I have to agree here as we all have the obvious in common, and it's nice to learn new things about our fellow fans... besides Cure news all the time as that's just not possible. :D

QuoteBut I really do not like it when threads are derailed.
Yes, since I've been here recently I am also guilty of this and am trying to be more aware of it ~ as I've noticed the moderators are guilty as well once in a while.

Quotei don't mind having this section here as long as people post meaningful and intelligent topics that  inspire someting that could be called a discussion. but if it's just about starting some loosely structured threads about just about anything just for a sake on chatting along, i don't see much point there.
Exactly what can be considered "meaningful" and "intelligent" to some are not to others.  That's the way of the world, so how should we know when it's ok to post something that's on our minds?  My point is... who gets to decide if an off-topic post is ridiculous or legit, discarding the obvious of course.

Quotethe truth is that this section has been derailing heavily during the past few weeks with too many threads turning towards  spamlike chatter only, sorry.
I am new here as you all know and I'm sure you all know that I was/am previously on the "official" site that is so despised with good reason.  I guess I honestly made the mistake of mentioning my affiliates with the "other" site earlier on and kept the same name. Unfortunately, this may have caused people to already case judgement on me.

It just seems that "certain" people here keep making insinuations regarding recent members joining from the "official" site and are very condescending if they mean to be or not.  I apologize as I am trying my hardest not to take it to heart, but when post after post I have the underlying feeling of resentment in general for being here ~ it becomes quite difficult.  All I know is that I truly love The Cure and everthing they are tied to in my life.  I only recently re-discovered the internet in general ~ actually joined the "official" forum in July just after purchasing tickets to see them in September. 

I found the excitement of fans just before their tour started amazing, but since the tour was cancelled it's all been downhill, atleast at the "official" site.  Yes, people did get unbelievably out of control there and I did not partake in the bashing, but I keep getting this feeling that because I am from that site ~ I am not worthy to post here and that is sad. 

I find it very refreshing and upbeat here most of the time, but as I was saying... I really do not appreciate the not so subtle comments that are implied towards anyone coming from the official site.  If there are certain members that are causing problems - then they could be pulled aside and talked to, instead of this repeated finger pointing to all in general.  And I really do believe this site is worthwhile, that's why I joined.

Anyway, I apologize if I sound like I'm ranting and raving.  It's quite late here, but when my feelings start it's hard to stop my mouth (or fingers) from speaking.  I hope no one was offended by my comments.

Hope everyone has a good night!  :lol:
"And I shiver and shake
When I think of how you make me hate"

japanesebaby

since you're clearly referring to me with "certain people", let me add something:
i don't resent anyone coming from the official site. i've never said this - on the contrary, i've repeatedly said everyone's welcome here and i say it again: everyone's welcome here. all i've been saying is that let's not bring the attitudes/fears/whatever we might have had in that place in here. i'm not campagning towards anyone here and i'm not campaigning towards people coming here form the official site. again, everyone's welcome. but please note this: since we've had older members contacting the staff (see: i'm not talking about myself only here) and who have been expressing the worry about this place starting to resemble the babbly attitudes on the official site and that the something else section is getting out of hand/the balance in the forum is getting distorted, i've thought we'd bring this up in public. if it made me feel like i'm on a personal crusade against someone, then this is not the case.
all i want to point out here is that there's a clear difference between you saying that i (or someone else here) had some sort of resentment towards people coming from the official site and me saying please be welcome but please remember that this forum is a different place than the pfficial site is. these are two completely diffrent things. ok?  :smth001
i hold no ill will against anyone here, wherever they came from. but when something needs to be said and discussed in public for one reason or another, i maybe don't hesitate to bring it up. and those are two completely different things too.  :smth001
but i don't resent anyone here or think someone has no "right" to be here.
that's simply not at all true. this place is based on having all kinds of different people here, if we were all the same it would be a lot more colorless.

and yes, i've posted to off-topic threads too sometimes. let's all be more careful then.

and intelligent: well you know, i immediately knew that word would fire people up, when i wrote it. whatever it is that everyone thinks it means, i think it still holds some truth in it. but please anyone just skip that word if you find it annoying.

Steve

Going off topic's not all bad, but we should all remembr that someone started a thread to put a certain subject out there & to derail it completely is just going to p!ss that person off eventually.
I agree that there has to be a balance & with the recent Cure activity (tour, new song) it's only natural that there should be more cure relevant posts, but alos that more folks will be on the forum & so may take a peek at the other things too.
In the other things section, I have discovered new music (thanks M  :smth023), had advice for my current back problem (thanks L) & hopefully been able to offer a bit of a shoulder to lean on to some people.
But most importantly, I have made what I consider to be new friends from all over the world.
CherryRed & her punk thread (that rhymes) is a good example. Someone on the other side of the world who shares the same interests in musical culture, other than the cure.
Certainly those sorts of things would get edited (quite rightly) from cure related stuff, so I think this section is working quite well.
Perhaps a bit of strategic pruning now & then would keep it tidied. Say, threads inactive for more than x months can get chopped, or threads with 1000 replies can be "re-born" or whatever.
Just a thought. Seems someone smited me yesterday, so perhaps I should keep my opinions to myself?
Cheers
Steve

ROGUE

Quote from: Steve on October 13, 2007, 10:16:52
Perhaps a bit of strategic pruning now & then would keep it tidied. Say, threads inactive for more than x months can get chopped, or threads with 1000 replies can be "re-born" or whatever.
Just a thought. Seems someone smited me yesterday, so perhaps I should keep my opinions to myself?

Good idea, on thred, re-birth etc. Especially when you cant start a new topic- that may already be here, a year old.... would be nice to rehash some old topics, because its also different now, with
tour, etc.

Umm dont worry about the Smites, Say what you want-    But interesting,  you are an older member and also considering not to say certain things- Yeh thats all i worried about., but wont speak of it anymore.
...........(i wasnt here yesterday.)  :smth023

Hope it works out for everyone thats all.

Hope you heal and feel more mobile soon, enjoy the medication in the meantime.  :smth030

Janko

SORRY IF I SEEM PUZZLED, BUT WHAT PROVOKED THIS TOPIC?

:?

Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

Steve

The fact that David was p!ssed off that this section got more traffic than the others
Cheers
Steve

Janko

Quote from: Steve on October 13, 2007, 16:27:28
The fact that David was p!ssed off that this section got more traffic than the others

BUT, IT'S PERFECTLY NORMAL THAT AT SOME POINT SOME SECTIONS WILL HAVE MORE TRAFFIC
WHEN NEW ALBUM COMES OUT, PEOPLE WILL SWARM AROUND CURENEWS AND ALBUMS AND SONGS...

:D
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

scatcat

Quote from: Janko on October 13, 2007, 18:17:08

BUT, IT'S PERFECTLY NORMAL THAT AT SOME POINT SOME SECTIONS WILL HAVE MORE TRAFFIC
WHEN NEW ALBUM COMES OUT, PEOPLE WILL SWARM AROUND CURENEWS AND ALBUMS AND SONGS...

:D

Yes we are waiting for more news, any news on the up coming tour!!! :rocker
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Carnage Visor

Well, I certainly didn't join with intentions of making vitally important posts, and I'm also not one who keeps up with the times...

Which leads to the fact that I am depressed about my social life and lack of Cure-related outings in the real world. I agree with the earlier posts about us Cure fans having many other things in common, and I think alot of us also have endured many social problems and depression...

Plus, talking about tour dates bores me. I know I can't go to the tours, so I tend to steer away and aim for a thread that has something to do with me or that I can relate to.

I thank you with all my heart for keeping everything up-to-date and trying new things, but especially with this new karma thing, I find myself more and more in the off-topic section venting to hopefully sympathetic readers on the other end who can give me the support I deserve.

It's not like the site is falling apart because of it, and I'm sure the moment our favorite band releases their new album in '08, the boards will be up and running again. There's just not that much to talk about that hasn't already been said.

I could most definately go on and on about how I'm dying to pull off a Robert look, or how I think the group's image in 1982 is my definitive view on the band...but that gets boring after a while.

Congrats if you read any of that, it makes me feel good when people listen to me... ;)

japanesebaby

sorry folks but i just had to find it a bit ironic that one of the subjects in the start of this thread was the fact that threads have been derailing:

Quote from: Steve on October 13, 2007, 10:16:52
Going off topic's not all bad, but we should all remembr that someone started a thread to put a certain subject out there & to derail it completely is just going to p!ss that person off eventually.

- and that actually this one didn't make no exception since it actually turned out to become a topic about going to gigs.

now, i don't know if steve was pissed or not pissed about this (his words ;)) but regardless of that, in order to promote the readablity here i've split this topic. the going to gigs part can be found here:

http://www.curefans.com/index.php/topic,4174.0.html

please post to these according to the original subject of the topic.
thanks everyone.