Started by dsanchez, October 20, 2008, 02:13:17

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

revolt

Quote from: dsanchez on October 20, 2008, 02:13:17
hmmmm...

Not everybody: there seem to be at least 3 or 4 very distracted people behind her...  :-D

By the way, very nice picture indeed!  :smth023

japanesebaby

hmm to me it's just really a quite chauvinistic pic of a half-naked woman.

*edit: nevermind guys.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 21, 2008, 08:54:35

I have to agree it all depends on one's own perspective. One could also say that she looks half-dressed...  :-D

PS: By the way, I don't think it is necessarily chauvinistic, at least I don't see it that way. But this would definitely not be the best of reasons to start a "war", so let's no delve into it.

nausearockpig

sex sells. not sure what they're selling though.. LOL..

maybe it's odd that she's wearing nothing, or carrying a surfboard in  a train station or a combo of both..

or maybe it's cos she's hot.

Tof

Everybody looking her because she has a beautiful design on her surfboard !!!

:-D
Tof

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 21, 2008, 16:40:09
Quote from: nausearockpig on October 21, 2008, 12:05:15
or maybe it's cos she's hot.

well it's just that if women post similar pics about "hot guys" they are considered to be silly and teenager-ish. but when guys do it, it's strangely ok - because hot pics about women are cool.

But IT IS kind of silly and teenager-ish, whether it is women or men who do it. Which doesn't mean it is sexist. It can be or not, depending on each person's attitude towards these things...

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 21, 2008, 17:26:22
no, it IS sexist. because guys post these pics and other guys come with a "that's hot" - and it's all supposed to be perfectly normal because guys objectifying women is strangely considered ok. and that's why bush doesn't have to care about women's rights either and so on and so on. and it's all around us, regardless of what personal attitude we might took towards these matters.
it all says a lot about the world we live in, unfortunately, about the continuing lack of real equality between sexes. we like to talk about equality but we forget it all the next moment, when it suits us.
i suppose that from men's point of view there're just too many benefits in keeping it all that way so it's very hard to achieve any change.

Sorry, but I can't see how you draw all those conclusions from the previous posts here. This may be a sexist world but it doesn't mean that when a man says of a woman that "she's hot" he is being sexist. And the same applies to women talking of men. Sexism implies diminishing the status of the other sex. Which is a thing I was not doing and that I never do. The others can talk for themselves, but I don't read in their comments that they are sexist. Could be or not be. I don't think there's any need to blow this thing out of proportion. No one is offending anyone here, I believe.

By the way, there's no such thing as a real attainable complete equality in this subject or any other subject. Men and women are different and always will be. The best thing we can achieve is respect for one another's differences and the protection of what we consider to be the rights of the individuals, whether they are women or men. Which is far from what we have today, sure.

dsanchez

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 21, 2008, 17:26:22
no, it IS sexist. because guys post these pics and other guys come with a "that's hot" - and it's all supposed to be perfectly normal because guys objectifying women is strangely considered ok.

I think it all depends of the person you talk to. If you would ever post a guy's pic in a boxer and you say "that guy's hot", then I wouldn't mind and I would consider it very natural indeed. And I'm sure many guys like me would think that way.

I mean, expressions like "she/he is hot/gorgeous/amazing", etc. are pretty normal and based of the concept of beauty most humans have (there have been a research about this). So I don't see nothing bad in NRP's expression.

I guess the problem is with people who think men have more right than woman, that men can do this and this and woman can't. But I don't think that's the case here. Take it easy!

ps. yes, nausearockpig, she's hot! :P
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 21, 2008, 20:49:30
well i already knew someone would say that sooner or later. but it's not what i meant at all, and no i definitely was not complaining about "not having the similar right" to post similar pics and no i was not talking about whether it is "natural" or not.
sorry but you all get me completely wrong (perhaps on purpose?).
anyway.

not at all, I was trying to prove that you can't generalize when you say

"because guys post these pics and other guys come with a "that's hot" - and it's all supposed to be perfectly normal because guys objectifying women is strangely considered ok."

For me (and maaaaaany other guys) is also considered ok if you women would say/do otherwise. Just that.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 21, 2008, 21:07:39
Quote from: dsanchez on October 21, 2008, 20:53:01

i can't? for instance, i bet 9 or 10 out of 10 guys would just probably say "wow that's so hot" if they are asked what they think about this add.
and that isn't sexist?

would you mind I split this message into another topic? it would be cool to analyze the psychology of the male curefans.com members and their thoughts about the pic you just suggested ;)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

nausearockpig

For the record I wasn't intending on being sexist, just honest. I do think that this woman is attractive and not just cos she's wearing f*ck-all. I find a myriad of body types and facial structures attractive. I do like looking at women I find attractive, but it does not mean that I don't respect women.

Unfortunately, there are many [too many] double standards where women lose out but that's something that we need to change on a person - to - person basis. What's that saying think global, act local?

I know why a lot of women suffer from eating and mental disorders, well I know some of the reasons. they range from societal disrespect to poor family lives to being treated like shit by the wrong sort of guy to losing control and being part of a vicious circle fed by advertising [aimed at BOTH men and women] to oh the list is almost endless.

Bottom line I didn't mean anything negative by it... but then that's the problem a lot of the time, we do things intending one thing and we end up performing another function entirely.... ..

revolt

Quote from: dsanchez on October 22, 2008, 01:10:23
Quote from: japanesebaby on October 21, 2008, 21:07:39
Quote from: dsanchez on October 21, 2008, 20:53:01

i can't? for instance, i bet 9 or 10 out of 10 guys would just probably say "wow that's so hot" if they are asked what they think about this add.
and that isn't sexist?

would you mind I split this message into another topic? it would be cool to analyze the psychology of the male curefans.com members and their thoughts about the pic you just suggested ;)

The woman on the add picture suggested there is "hot", indeed. I don't think there's anything sexist in saying this. It's just a natural reaction without any negative meanings attached to it. There could be other things there worth analysing, though. If it is an add, what is it that is being advertised? Is the picture in question apropriate for the thing that's being advertised? There could be indeed a sexist attitude implicit in the choice of that picture, it all depends on the context. But the picture itself and the simple comment "she's hot" itself are not sexist, in my opinion.

crowbi_wan

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 21, 2008, 08:54:35

Half naked?  She's fully clothed!  In order to be half naked she would need to lose the top or the bottom  ;)