Truth goodness and beauty

Started by fannwenner, May 06, 2008, 07:48:58

Previous topic - Next topic

fannwenner

Is the track "Truth goodness and beauty" only available on the Japanese version of "The Cure" or was it officially released anywhere else?

I am trying to get to grips with the "The Cure" album and its songs. I found that there is an 11 and a 12 track release (the latter including Going nowhere, but possibly only as a cd-rom track), the Japanese version with bonus tracks (Fake and Truth goodness and beauty if I understood it correctly) and four b-sides: This morning / Fake / Why can´t I be me / Your God is fear. Are ther other officially released tracks from tis period? Please enlighten me...

japanesebaby

Quote from: fannwenner on May 06, 2008, 07:48:58
Is the track "Truth goodness and beauty" only available on the Japanese version of "The Cure" or was it officially released anywhere else?

no, it was included on some other pressings too.
i have a limited edition CD+DVD version, relesed in europe which does have 'truth goodness and beauty' as an extra track (track 4). the serial number is 9862890.
otherwise it's perfectly similar to the regular european cd+dvd edition.
there's a blue sticker on the cover saying 'limited edition', instead of the typical yellow sticker advertising the bonus dvd.
i bought mine from ebay UK and only paid something like 4 pounds, i think.

the track was of course also available on the double vinyl version.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

japanesebaby

here's one currently up on ebay.co.uk:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Cure-The-Cure-Limited-Edition-CD-Album-2004-DVD_W0QQitemZ120102076298QQihZ002QQcategoryZ1049QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

(btw it does funnily say "two bonus tracks". the sticker on the cd cover also says this: "two exclusive bonus tracks: 'truth, goodness and beauty' and 'going nowhere'".
i wonder who wrote that crap and decided that 'going nowhere' was something of an exclusive track... :roll:

fannwenner

Thanks for replies,
I just the other day ordered the "normal" version of this album, will hopefully get it this week, my retailer says 12 tracks incl Going nowhere. So that was possibly a bad decison. What is on the bonus DVD? I read about a 18 min documentary, but is there something else?
With different versions in different countries and different tracks on different versions of the same album, it is a bit problematic to have all info. The discography on the official site is not very helpful either...and is Going nowhere added as a cd-rom track on certain issues and as a regular track on others?

At least the following versions seem to exist:
* European - regular
* European - with bonus DVD
* European - limited and bonus DVD
* US
* Japanese

Possibly there were also DVD editions in non-European markets? And exactly which tracks are on which version? Is it me that´s stupid, or is this a mess?

For earlier albums, Join the Dots gives all info necessary (I think and hope), but for The Cure, no such help seems to be available...

japanesebaby

Quote from: fannwenner on May 06, 2008, 08:55:24
For earlier albums, Join the Dots gives all info necessary (I think and hope), but for The Cure, no such help seems to be available...

i don't think 'join the dots' really gives much info at all about the different pressings for the older albums. it only gives a list of released albums so far, it's a very brief discography listing only. for albums, there are no details like serial numbers for different pressings and/or any possible differencies between pressings, not even track listings are stated. track listing are stated for the singles but not nearly everything is included on that list. just the most common stuff. and again, no differencies between pressings are stated.

for checking out lot of the details i used to depend on daren butler's 'cure on record' for a long time:

http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,3846.msg27671.html#msg27671

it's still a good resource. but unfortunately it stops in 1993... and was never updated since. :(
but luckily there are some other sources...

Quote from: fannwenner on May 06, 2008, 08:55:24
At least the following versions seem to exist:
* European - regular
* European - with bonus DVD
* European - limited and bonus DVD
* US
* Japanese

...there's a lot lot more than that. for starters, you might want to check this site:

http://www.thecurerecords.com/

have fun ;)

besides, that site is not only pretty well updated but also mostly a lot lot more comprehensible than butler's book ever was.
(a great site - i don't know the webmaster but would surely want to thank him(/them?) for all that work! :smth023)

what comes to bonus dvds on 'the cure', i'd assume all the bonus dvds were the same (=consisting of the same studio footage/documentary material) regardless of the pressing.
at least this is the case for the pressings that i have: i have both the regular EU cd+dvd pressing and the abovementioned limited edition pressing, and the dvds are the same, the same size 1.13 GB. so there's no hidden tracks or anything in there and 'going nowhere' is not o the dvd side.
even the dvd serial number for both is same: 51505164 - so it's just the same dvd.

fannwenner

Again, thanks,
Phew, that site had more than I expected (and perhaps even asked for...). But I must say it wasn´t easy to find tracklists - perhaps there are other festures whan logged in that I haven´t discovered yet.
And I realise there were many more things to look for than I expected. And that Join the Dots was incomplete in its discography. I am more interested in songs than in pressings and I assumed (perhaps that might be wrong as well) that the box contained most or all b-sides and additional songs from 78-01 (excluding a lot of remixes). Of course, some things are missing - like Killing an Arab and the 86 version of Boys don´t cry. Perhaps there is much more - is there some topic on this here on Curefans (what´s missing on Join the Dots)?

japanesebaby

Quote from: fannwenner on May 06, 2008, 11:33:22
Again, thanks,
Phew, that site had more than I expected (and perhaps even asked for...).
[..]
I am more interested in songs than in pressings

to be honest, i definitely agree. i myself stopped collecting most of the official stuff after it started to turn into checking some serial numbers alone in order to tell the difference between some otherwise identical pressings... simply wasn't my thing anymore. 
yet i do appreciate it that some people bother putting together such highly detailed websites as the one mentioned above. one never knows when they come in handy and they do save you a lot of trouble then.

Perhaps there is much more - is there some topic on this here on Curefans (what´s missing on Join the Dots)?

i don't think such a topic exists - so go ahead and create one.

japanesebaby

Again, thanks,
Phew, that site had more than I expected (and perhaps even asked for...). But I must say it wasn´t easy to find tracklists - perhaps there are other festures whan logged in that I haven´t discovered yet.

one can mostly view the track listings easily just by clicking the album/pressing icon in question (which opens a new window) and then scrolling a bit down to view the close-up scan of the back cover.

by the way, the japanese edition seems to have 14 tracks:
http://www.thecurerecords.com/record.aspx?id=0891
so it includes one track more, maybe 'this morning' or 'fake'(?). in this case the back cover scan doesn't help because the ubi hides the track names in english(!).

fannwenner

As you say, you can read tracklistings from the scans, but it is complicated when it is in Japanese...(or when there are no scans, as for some of the 2004 singles).

After research, I think this is how it is:
* US release has 11 tracks
* EU release has 12 tracks (incl Going nowhere)
* UK release has 13 tracks (incl Going nowhere and Truth goodness and beauty), hence the "2 bonus tracks" sticker - it compares itself eith the US release.
* Japanese release has 14 tracks (incl Going nowhere, Truth goodness and beauty + Fake)

nevyn

just to let you know, that all that you were discussing was in one place called "a chain of flowers"

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/ChainofFlowers/thecurealbum.html