The Cure and PUNK

Started by ~*CherryRed*~, August 21, 2007, 01:51:53

Previous topic - Next topic

~*CherryRed*~

Quote from: Carnage Visor on August 25, 2007, 18:33:46
It's quite a shame we have these limits as to how one acts and what that represents...and if I want to dress like Johnny Rotten or Sid Vicious, who's to say I can't? Does that mean I'm a poser if I enjoy the fashion in which punks have worn? Or does that just mean that it fits my taste?

LOL I have NO fashion sense what so ever really... I wear what feels good at the time, and as a result have gotten some odd looks - but I'm used it now.. I am 33 after all.

All in all, this whole punk/emo/goth thing is overrated, and contradicts itself most of the time. There's no set ways to achieve each standard, and everybody views emo/punk/goth differently. Some people mistake punks for goths, some mistake emos for punks...what does it matter, really? In the end we're all people, we all have our own views on what is cool, so how are you sure, if indeed you are a punk, that someone ISN'T thinking the same of you; thinking YOU are a poser?

Too true my 15 year old Cure-ite!

We, as people, get into a lot of trouble trying to label each other. Robert hates being called a goth, but many view his messy black hair, black eyeshadow, and introspective lyrics to be of the goth subculture...or worthey thereof. But he doesn't view himself as a goth, so who's right? The people calling him a goth or he himself not thinking that of himself? There is no way to tell which is correct...

I've always thought the labelling thing as just a means to try and understand where a person is coming from! Plus, I've always said you can tell alot about a person by the shoes they wear...

So I wrap things up now. I don't even know if anybody read that, but if you did I congradulate you. (Why thankyou kind Sir!!!)You have just read some mumbo jumbo written by a 15-year old boy. High-five!

Thanks for your time. I'll be here all week. <-HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
"prone to flights of whimsy"

~*CherryRed*~

Quote from: iwannashagsimon on August 26, 2007, 06:07:15
Quote from: ~*CherryRed*~ on August 24, 2007, 01:36:11
I have to ask you 'iwannashagsimon' if you are aware of The Glove LP? That is the collabaration between Mr Smith and Steve Severin (of The Banshees). Its a thumping bloody good LP too, and has been released as a double delux CD edition - ooohh SPECIAL!!

Yup.  Been a Glove fan since 1990 when I got the re-issue of "Blue Sunshine" on blue vinyl.  And I just recently got the re-re-issue doluble CD with the bonus songs.  I also have another copy of "Blue Sunshine" on single CD.   3 copies of the same album...man, I gotta be a huge fan. :smth001

Excellent! (as Mr Burns would say... umm, you have to imagine it people!!) I have the LP too and also the Like An Animal 12", but nothing in blue vinyl - that sounds really cool!! I'm a tad jealous of that I must say! I really really LOVE Jeanette Landray's vocals too... Wish I could sing like her!

~*CherryRed*~

Quote from: Steve on August 26, 2007, 11:21:29
I was on a train in Leeds a few weeks back & there were 3 teenage girls boasting about having water spat over them by the MCR singer at a gig :shock:
If it were punk, then it would be the other way around & it would have been beer.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, too bloody true! OMG! that kinda stuff takes you back.... :smth023

iwannashagsimon

Quote from: ~*CherryRed*~ on August 27, 2007, 08:45:09

Excellent! (as Mr Burns would say... umm, you have to imagine it people!!) I have the LP too and also the Like An Animal 12", but nothing in blue vinyl - that sounds really cool!! I'm a tad jealous of that I must say! I really really LOVE Jeanette Landray's vocals too... Wish I could sing like her!

That reminds me!  I also got the Like An Animal 7".  Paid $32 ($39ASD)for it at a record convention.  I also have some Glove tv appearances too. If you never saw them....here they are thanks to someone at youtube.  (How nice they put both of them on one video--getting 2 for the price of one. :smth001)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-OLykgeubI

BTW, here's what the blue vinyl Blue Sunshine looks like:

It's for sale on ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Glove-Blue-Sunshine-LP-Cure-Siouxsie-Blue-Vinyl_W0QQitemZ140150841937QQihZ004QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

~*CherryRed*~

Ah cheers there for that youtube link... I've only got damned dialup (as I'm in the bush!) so I've saved it to my fav's in the hope that one day I may be able to download it and watch it fully!!! I actually didn't realise they'd done video's! Pleasant surprise I must say. And BAD :smth076 :smth021 you for posting that ebay link.... no no no! I must not go on ebay, it's far too dangerous!! I've spent too much money already on expnading my vinyl collection! And have been BANNED from it by my partner... LOL, however I do still sneak the odd auction in from time to time without him knowing!! (hehehehe). It's actually interesting too discover all the different releases in vinyl colours. Hmm, me thinks a new topic has been born!!!

iwannashagsimon

Technically the Glove never shot any videos.  They just performed on some UK show.

If you get a copy of The Banshees "Noctune" on DVD that features the "Play At Home" tv special that includes the video for "A Blues In Drag". :)

Or you can just have your friend let ya see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdSNcXBsg8k

Not the best sound or image quality...

~*CherryRed*~

Quote from: iwannashagsimon on August 28, 2007, 08:11:02
Technically the Glove never shot any videos.  They just performed on some UK show.

If you get a copy of The Banshees "Noctune" on DVD that features the "Play At Home" tv special that includes the video for "A Blues In Drag". :)

Or you can just have your friend let ya see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdSNcXBsg8k

Not the best sound or image quality...

Cheers there... me thinks I should just purchase the DVD!

Purple Orchid

I can't remember how did I get to the punk stuff, but it must have been through The Cure (listening comments on the radio that the hair was punk, and even the lyrics, well, that was the perception) that I bought "Never Mind The Bollocks", then I listened to The Clash, Joy Division (their first single is completely punk and I absolutely love the Warsaw album), and from there, The Buzzcocks, The Jam and all the post punk (it's hard to draw a line) P.I.L., Siouxsie, etc. Onle recently have I bought a couple Ramones alums (they have kind of always been there, and I had underestimated them for bieng more "accesible", besides, I'm more fond of british punk). (through Morrissey I got to listen to The New York Dolls of course!)
I've also become a fan of punk documentaries: The Filth & The Fury by Julian Temple (The Great Rock'n'roll Swindle sucks, but let's not forget Chris Parry's on both), Punk by Don Letts, Westway to the World and the episodes on punk from Dancing in The Street and The TNT History of Rock'n'Roll.
Sex Pistols, Joy Division, The Clash, Ramones, The Jam and The Stooges are in fact a few of my favorite groups nowadays...
...when suddenly, behind a tree, I appear
strange mixture of the one-before-the-last wanderer
and first stowaway on the trip to Venus.
Half melon on the head and the stripes of the shirt painted on the skin,
but only you see me...

~*CherryRed*~

Hey Purple Orchid, I've got some of those docos too... LOL I forgot all about them until now! Cheers there, I'll have to get 'em outta the cupboard and have another watch. Most of them I've taped of the tele! Although when I watch stuff like that on the tele, it just gets me in the mood for going out and causing havoc - and doing that now at my age.... well it's not a pretty sight anymore!!! hehehehe

iwannashagsimon

Quote from: Purple Orchid on August 30, 2007, 00:33:06
The Great Rock'n'roll Swindle sucks

I got that for Christmas the year before last!  Yeah, I admit it's not that great.  But Sid doing "My Way" is a punk classic. :-D

Also..don't forget "The Punk Rock Movie". :rocker

Just thought of something....ever notice when there is either a book or film about punk rock The Cure are rarely if ever menitoned?

Carnage Visor

Wow, I left for a few days and a HUUUUGE conversation took place without me! GOOOORRRSH!

Steve

Yeah sorry CV.
Wanna add anything? :D
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

~*CherryRed*~

Ah LOL Carnage (love this bloody ID of yours - so jealous, why didn't I think of it before you and use it??? Bugger!!) forums tend to do that... you step away from the coversation for just a few minutes, and your lost!!! Never mind, there is plenty of reading for you now! :smth023

Purple Orchid

Quote from: iwannashagsimon on August 31, 2007, 10:09:13

I got that for Christmas the year before last!  Yeah, I admit it's not that great.  But Sid doing "My Way" is a punk classic. :-D

Absolutely!!!

Also..don't forget "The Punk Rock Movie". :rocker

The name sounds familiar to me but can´t remember anything else about it, and of course, have never never watched it. Can you tell us a bit about it?

Just thought of something....ever notice when there is either a book or film about punk rock The Cure are rarely if ever menitoned?

It's true. At least they´re on the "No Thanks! The 70's Punk rebellion" Box Set.
The book on it is great, has great pictures, date of recording and release, personnel details, cat. no. in the case of singles of every track! Quite a few rare ones on it...not excellently mastered I should say. It has no pistols tracks because they refused to be inluded...
...when suddenly, behind a tree, I appear
strange mixture of the one-before-the-last wanderer
and first stowaway on the trip to Venus.
Half melon on the head and the stripes of the shirt painted on the skin,
but only you see me...

Carnage Visor

That pisses me off...every book I read about "The best punk bands" or "best of the 80s" I hardly ever see The Cure. And if I do, it's always some half-assed little section referring to them as "doom and gloom"...and then a full page of Madonna (who looks like she smells) and Boy George...ugh!

And go into Rock America, there are 5000+ POISON shirts and one Cure shirt. This world is f*cked up.