Roger on Prayer Tour

Started by cheyler, November 17, 2015, 00:25:09

Previous topic - Next topic

cheyler

Roger was kind enough to reply to a couple e-mails I sent and he talked a bit about the tour...

"I think in general those performances on that tour are some of the best of any band at any time. Certainly the best The Cure has ever been by quite some margin. Sadly we didn't realise it at the time but then again we were never the kind of band to pat ourselves on the back after a show however good it may have been."

"I believe the Dallas recordings on the Disintegration micro site are far superior to the Wembley shows and I was quite amazed when I heard them around the time of the reissue."

A little insight.  Thanks Roger!
I also have to assume that he thinks highly of the current line-up.  They're so damned...happy.  Will we ever get to hear The Figurehead or Drowning Man or even Faith (that came out Filth somehow so I fixed it) ever again??

cheyler

The Dallas show was recorded 15th September 1989, roughly seven weeks after the Wembley shows.  It does sound good, but I can't say for sure yet which I prefer.  Certainly the performances from Dallas are better, the band seemed to have gained confidence over the course of the touring year starting on May 1st, and were likely re-energized from the several weeks off before the start of the American leg of the tour.  The entire show is available as a very good audience recording.  It's possible Roger heard the masters or maybe just the mp3s.  I asked if he meant the recordings were superior or the performances were superior.  I don't remember what he wrote or even if he wrote anything.  He definitely has other things to do other than answer my questions!  The Dallas show is a good candidate as an 'archival' release, the entire show taken from the masters and distributed either as silver CDs or flac files.  Probably wishful thinking...or deluded thinking even.  The mp3s are pretty good but every time I listen I keep thinking about how much better they would sound in a lossless format.  With RS being so busy trying to tie up neatly the previous incarnation with Porl, it's unlikely to the point of impossibility that he'd take time away from the current incarnation of The Cure and also take time away from scrambling to put a full-stop on the 2005-2009 band to work on yet another project by a band that REALLY no longer exists, what with that and the fact that roughly one third of the show has already been released (albeit in mp3 format).  Now that was a long sentence.

Ulrich

Quote from: cheyler on November 17, 2015, 21:58:59
I asked if he meant the recordings were superior or the performances were superior.  I don't remember what he wrote or even if he wrote anything.

That's a shame.   :(
But thanks for at least sharing above sentences from him (1st post).
The holy city breathed like a dying man...