LP13 Delayed... Again?!

Started by Bloodflower, July 16, 2008, 23:32:50

Previous topic - Next topic

KingOfSomeIsland

Oh well I guess a new EP and DVD justify an extra month of wait...

This is reminding me of the wait for In Rainbows...

rodney

I don't have all of the magazines handy, so I can't say for sure what they've said (if anything) about the actual songs, but I do know that major music magazines are easily swayed by money, so if Universal payed up, like they do with so many other releases, I'm sure they'd recieve plenty of attention.  You can have the greatest album in the world and if your label doesn't have the money (or won't spend the money) to get you mentioned in the magazines, then it's not going to matter (I know this from experience).  It seems clear to me that Robert's not happy with his current contract with Universal, and a lack of promotion and focus on the band could be a major reason why.  The Cure are just a cog in a very, very big machine there and without a major campaign, they're unlikely to sell more than a few hundred thousand copies of a new full length release, which is small change to a company like Universal.

firecrasher

Quote from: Purple Orchid on July 17, 2008, 17:32:09
Quote from: scatcat on July 17, 2008, 08:47:57

OCTOBER 13TH...
7/16/2008 10:13:31 PM - by CURE:ROBERT

SINCE WE GOT BACK FROM AMERICA
I HAVE BEEN MIXING PARIS
AND CHARLOTTE
AND NYC SHOWS FOR TV/DVD

Another DVD with the same Line-up????
Urghhhh!!!!
Do I have to buy it?
Would my collection be considered "incompleteif I don't???
It might remain just as my Festival 2005 DVD...
Unopened...

Hopefully it will make for better viewing; Festival sounded fabulous but looked like Robert's Great iMovie. And all in all, Festival was a still a great buy for $10. Plus this time we'll get Porl's makeover.
[i]so this is permanence... love's shattered pride...[/i]

wish-man

Quote from: Purple Orchid on July 17, 2008, 17:32:09
Another DVD with the same Line-up????
Urghhhh!!!!
Do I have to buy it?
Would my collection be considered "incompleteif I don't???
It might remain just as my Festival 2005 DVD...
Unopened...

Well, festivals are festivals. There are too many audience, noises etc
But the concert is absolutely another cauldron! There are a big difference between concert & festival. Its as good as compare 'Trilogy' with 'Festival 2005' isnt it?
So I hope new dvd would be HDTV (I don't think tht they will do BR) + with Porl's artwork effects instead of bloody 'festival 2005' grey & black effect on Signal To Noise or any other shit...  :smth023
and the way the rain comes down thats how I feel inside...

mint car

I am a bit sad that it is at month again, but I still enjoy on new album  ;) I respect Robert arbitrament  :) it is his band and album, and we can to wait only ;)
[i]...sleep sweet child the moon will change your mind...[/i]

scatcat

Quote from: mint car on July 18, 2008, 11:43:01
I am a bit sad that it is at month again, but I still enjoy on new album  ;) I respect Robert arbitrament  :) it is his band and album, and we can to wait only ;)

I totally agree on this aspect.. .. do we want a half-finished/wishwashy/thrown together album?? .. ( or double album ?  :smth023 )

NO!! Creativity takes many twists and turns.. like 'writer's block',  as an artist myself... pressure only contributes to regrets and failures.

Take the time you need Robert. 

:smth020
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

silversand

Quote from: scatcat on July 18, 2008, 22:37:29
Quote from: mint car on July 18, 2008, 11:43:01

I totally agree on this aspect.. .. do we want a half-finished/wishwashy/thrown together album?? .. ( or double album ?  :smth023 )

NO!! Creativity takes many twists and turns.. like 'writer's block',  as an artist myself... pressure only contributes to regrets and failures.

Take the time you need Robert. 

You said it scatcat :)
A half-baked album isn't what we want.
And we all know that Robert is perfectionist :)

I'm not sad that the album will come out in October :)
Curious how it will be :)

scatcat

:-D

yes..  & lapping up the singles as they are released is like food for the soul!!

Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Lostflowerboy

Just listened to piles and piles of the old mixes and the idea of the Remix-EP really grows on me. Just push the album release further as we get a surprise like that every month. ;)

KingOfSomeIsland

Quote from: rodney on July 17, 2008, 19:43:17
It seems clear to me that Robert's not happy with his current contract with Universal, and a lack of promotion and focus on the band could be a major reason why.  The Cure are just a cog in a very, very big machine there and without a major campaign, they're unlikely to sell more than a few hundred thousand copies of a new full length release, which is small change to a company like Universal.

The idea of RS not being happy with Universals treatment of the band actually makes alot of sense. From what I can gather they signed a five album contract with Universal in 2003, the first album being the 2004 album and the second being the Festival 2005 DVD.
Now with Robert deciding to release the next album in two seperate installments along with the 30th anniversary DVD that would effectively free them from their contract with Universal...

Moral of the story: Major labels suck, and Robert is just learning this now after 25 years on an indie label...

Bloodflower

I believe -- believe -- The Cure signed a three album deal. I don't think the Festival DVD counts toward fulfilling that commitment. If I'm right, then making the upcoming album two separate albums makes sense; it fulfills their contractual obligations to release three albums with Geffen/Suretone.

Come on, Robert: Release one album in October and another in December.  :smth023
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

crowbi_wan

Quote from: Bloodflower on July 21, 2008, 06:58:28
I believe -- believe -- The Cure signed a three album deal.

That's the way I understood it.  And I strongly doubt that the Festival DVD counts as an album.  They should be out of their contract with the release of the next two studio albums.   

nausearockpig

ditto, live dvd wouldn't constitute an album.. i would say...

revolt

Quote from: silversand on July 18, 2008, 22:52:22
A half-baked album isn't what we want.

Yeah, but do we want an over-cooked one?  :-D

revolt

I just remembered a thing Porl Thompson mentioned in some interview a while ago, I think at the end of 2007, or something. When asked what the new Cure album sounded like, he said it was 'gorgeous'. Of course he was referring to his impression of the sessions, since by that time nobody knew the track list to the album... (Did I say 'by that time'?  :-D )

I'm holding to this 'confession' and conclude that The Cure must have recorded  quite a few wonderful songs, even if they don't bring anything new to the table. Now, if they haven't ruined the songs after that interview with unnecessary mixes and overdubs and if Robert makes up his mind and decides to chose an inspiring track list, there is still a possibility that from those 30-something-songs-sessions at least ONE REALLY GOOD album will come out...