2008.03.20 London - Wembley Arena (England) *Sold Out*

Started by j, September 27, 2007, 13:58:37

Previous topic - Next topic

feebee42

Yes, poor Porl!
It was extremely hot in the arena by the time they got to the encores... a couple of 'standing' fans at the front, pressed right up by the barriers, had to be pulled out, and the security guys were handing out big cups of water to those right at the front.
Perhaps Porl got a bit overheated? I did notice that it looked like he'd taken a top layer of clothing off when he came back out again... Must be awfully hot dancing about for over 3 hours, in those big boots and heavy kilt!
Me and my hubby were probably some of the oldest ones there, but we had a great night, and the group rocked.
I thought it was especially touching at the end - the other three all went off stage, but Robert stayed there alone for quite a few minutes. Just smiling at the crowd and holding his hand to his heart. He walked over like that to every corner of the stage. I thought that was very 'heartfelt', actually, like he was saying thanks to us all for being there and supporting them.
Sure, maybe the set list was a bit lame in places, and sure, maybe they could have played this or that, instead of the other, but we really enjoyed it. There was a grey-haired lady in the next row to us, and she was really bopping and enjoying herself. Fun!
I know a lot of the pop hits don't sound so great the way they're played now in 2008, but the majority of the crowd really lapped it up. Let's face it - The Cure have got 30 years of music to cover, and they can't play every single thing they've ever done. I think they've tried to play something to please everyone. But here's always someone who'll complain, I guess.
There was a young couple sat behind me, actually, who were being very annoying. The guy was talking very loudly to his girlfriend all the way through the concert, so loud that I could hear every word right in my ear, and it was mostly all negative. All night... As far as he was concerned, everything was 'awful'.
As far as I was concerned, I'd paid good money to listen to my favourite band, and it had cost me a lot of money to travel all the way from Norway to do it, and I certainly hadn't paid to listen to his loud, negative, running commentary for three hours. Yeah, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, but was that really necessary? It almost spoiled the show for me.
But what made the show for me, was that the band looked like they were having a good time themselves. Robert looked very relaxed, and was interacting with the audience a fair bit.
I've been a fan since 1978, and I feel very honoured to have been there last night...  I'm back home in Norway now, and it all feels like a dream. :D

There is no end to the stars and the wind.
There is only you yourself,
who aren't who you think you are.

crowbi_wan

Quote from: Tof on March 22, 2008, 14:49:53
The SUN ...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/music/caught_live/article947752.ece

"with frontman ROBERT SMITH sporting his trademark EDWARD SCISSORHANDS look"

And here I thought Tim Burton modeled Ed after Robert.  After all these years...finally, it all makes sense.  :roll:

"Love Song - written for his wife MARY POOLE as a wedding gift almost three decades ago - was as beautiful as it was then".

Really?  THREE decades ago?  :smth017

strange_day

Typical UK press having no idea what they are talking about.

I was there, it was a great show i wont forget for a long time.  ;)

dsanchez

"In between Days and Never Enough were definitely highlights for me, but next time I think I’ll just rent a TIM BURTON movie."

WTF? :smth013
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Lady

Quote from: feebee42 on March 22, 2008, 02:22:03
a couple of 'standing' fans at the front, pressed right up by the barriers, had to be pulled out, and the security guys were handing out big cups of water to those right at the front.
Just a couple?? Let me tell you, it wasn't so bad: I've never seen so many fans pulled out like during the italian cure shows, every moment I saw the security guys running to take people out of the crowd..but I don't think it was just for the people's press, eheh.... :? :smth030 :smth033 :smth025 :smth011
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

Hero

boo

the cure were booked till 11pm.for every single minute past 11 they would have to pay a £2000 fine. if i remember right they played till 11.20 or so and if the security guy told us the truth then they paid at least £40000 !!!!!! to play the 3rd encore...
yes i wanted to hear faith or a few rare songs as well but what more can you ask for?????
they started late. maybe its true that porl wasn't well, who knows? he did cough quite a bit during the show.... 

scatcat

Quote from: Hero on March 21, 2008, 17:26:53
@boneheadhaggar I noticed Porl didn't look too good, i hope he's okay.

Oh and Roberts excuse for not talking much was that he can't speak english!

One word to sum Wembley up = MAGIC!!!

From the pictures and videos coming out of the European tour, I have seen  that he's not looking as good as here in OZ..  :(
but Bob just looks better than here ( he hardly moved at all)  :smth023

good to hear someone had a great time hero !!   :smth038
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

japanesebaby

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

scatcat

Quote from: japanesebaby on March 23, 2008, 03:27:47
Quote from: crowbi_wan on March 22, 2008, 15:38:23
THREE decades ago?  :smth017

time flies brian, time flies...

..but it's a bit exaggerated though. 23 years or so..?  man, I'm 4 decades old now..
WTF?  :shock:
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Steve

Quote from: [labyrinth] on March 21, 2008, 12:56:52
i really can't understand what's happening with them.
this is really a disappointing setlist, because , as gioez said, there were a lot of "special" things yesterday night.

but "they went away with nothing" more than the same setlist they played over and over again this tour.

... they've never been like this.
so static.

So, just like in 82 then right.
The setlists then were't really that varied TBH.
In addition, given the fact that the audience were largely "asleep" I am not surprised that the encores didn't roll on for longer.
Let's face it. If you were on stage playing to a pretty dead crowd who stopped shouting for an encore after less than 30 seconds, then would you come back & give them something special?
I wouldn't.
Concerts are a 2 way thing & people can't just rock up & "expect" to have all the songs they want to be played.
The band has to have something to bounce off & that is what makes a great show. Band & audience synergising.
FACT!
So, don't blame Bob & the boys. They blew our socks off on Thursday, but the crowd were generally unresponsive.
If I was BOB Smith, I don't think I would have even come back on for E3.
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

japanesebaby

hi folks,
and fear not, your posts have not disappeared anywhere. yet i took the liberty to split this topic as the conversation went on not really to concern the london show anymore but the tour in general.
the new thread ( with all the posts from this thread after this point moved) here:

http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,4773.msg45211.html

:D
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine