2008.12.19 "RS: I can't see a long future for The Cure", World Cafe, WXPN-FM, US

Started by dsanchez, December 25, 2008, 16:46:23

Previous topic - Next topic

immaginarygirl

rodney

Quote from: boo on December 30, 2008, 22:45:32
Quote from: DJscribbles on December 29, 2008, 21:34:45
the fans still want more.

of course the fans want more...but if the fans (and a few do)go to concerts with their adult kids or even grand children that makes one (Robert) feel quite old...
and for somebody who said since his 30's he can't see the cure going on for much longer is losing his credibility. and how many more interviews does he still need to suffer through when you can clearly see he doesn't enjoy them at all. being asked for 30 years about your hair,eyeliner and changes in the band... i would have shoot quite a few of the interviewers but no he sits there and answers ridicules questions friendly and very intelligent.

In fairness, this was actually quite a good interview, which is what World Cafe is known for.

alt.end

it's kinda sad as a haven't seen the cure live yet. 

he may do a solo album later on though. u never know.

sullen

Quote from: alt.end on January 03, 2009, 22:28:10
it's kinda sad as a haven't seen the cure live yet. 

he may do a solo album later on though. u never know.

He's not going to do shit but sit on his ass, eat twinkies, and drink blackberry brandy once their done!
Make a point to see him before the band is done!!

japanesebaby

i really can't "decide" how to feel about these news. not because i didn't care if they stop or not, but it's just exactly the same kind of talk from robert as around Bloodflowers etc etc etc., exactly the same sort of thing.
it only makes me think that perhaps robert is a sort of person who needs to motivate himself by regularly making these announcements about quitting. i know there are some people like that: they need to say "ok, it's over, we're done!" in public, just in order to "re-ignite" themselves somehow. i know some people like that, for whom to "officially" quit every now and then is somehow part of their self-motivating process.
or, maybe this time it's for real and he really means it. who knows.

anyway like said, i just find it hard to react to this in any way, to be sad about it or shout "oh no!". so far i feel it's just words, like always before - who knows what the actions will turn out to be.

Quote from: sullen on December 25, 2008, 21:15:58
more of a reason to go to london.

should they really stop for real, then i'd say i'm glad the last thing i heard live was 'faith' in paris last march. and personally i see even less reason to ruin that memory just by panicking about the news and going to some truncated NME gig just because "it's maybe the last chance to see them".
but of course, if someone hasn't caught them live yet, then better hurry and go now, i agree about that.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

crowbi_wan

Guys, let's remember that the interview took place before the decision to split the album was finalized.  They're going to put out the dark album (in 2010 from what I've heard) and will surely tour in support of it.  And then...:?:

alt.end

i would really love to see them but there are only tickets for sitting, somewhere far from the stage. i'd rather not see them at all than this. sorry.

AStaticWhiteSound

Quote from: fiction on December 26, 2008, 12:30:36
Well RS can be a bit of a punist sometimes and the last song on that (noisy) last album is titled "It´s Over". Is he telling the truth this time?

Well, if you recall, "Wish" ended with the song aptly titled "End" lol.

I'm hoping they keep going (they probably will at least for another year or two). With all the delays that happened for 4:13 Dream, maybe since Robert had mentioned possibly having the "dark album" out before his birthday (less than a year's span between albums) it will probably be delayed again, and again. I'm almost hoping it gets delayed because then they'll tour later, which gives me a better chance of being able to go (my parents wouldn't take me, so I'd have to wait until I'm 17 to have a licence, I'll be 16 in june)I've never seen them either. :(

It's unknown exactly what will happen, but I'm sure Robert and the guys will do it with discretion and have the end of the Cure be a worthy one.
A charcoal face bites my hand... My Cure guitar and bass covers

rubcure

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:smth011

wait 'til 2012 anyway all is going to end!

;)
[center][size=10pt][font=arial][color=black]"...and the way the rain comes down hard is how i feel inside..."[/color][/font][/size][/center]

AStaticWhiteSound

Quote from: alt.end on January 18, 2009, 00:26:10
this thread is so depressive

I know, tell me about it! I've been looking forward for the day that I can finally go to a Cure show for ever! I'm crossing my fingers they tour again (new album would make the odds better).

I'll be devastated if they don't have a go again. Or if they tour and only go to Europe  :cry:
A charcoal face bites my hand... My Cure guitar and bass covers

Rickenbacker4003

I think Roger O'Donnell said it best "he'll never stop, he just loves what he does too much to quit."  I agree to a certain extent.  I remember he said he would stop after Disintegration (which I didn't buy at all) and then Bloodflowers (which I actually believed given the band was really mentioning it alot).  Then they get a second life, new bands cite them as influences and the revival of 80's bands was back in fashion.  The Cure were in demand and cool again.

So in some ways I see what Robert's saying and it makes sense.  But to stop is one thing, but to stay that way is another story.  Either way, they still have an album that's supposed to come out this year and another one after this (whenever that is).  So I wouldn't worry about them ending it anytime soon.  So let's fully enjoy them in their (seemingly) final years. Having said that, I don't see them playing like the Rolling Stones into their 70's.  Lol!
"You're dying for the hope is gone, from here we go nowhere again."

Rickenbacker4003

Quote from: AStaticWhiteSound on January 17, 2009, 21:49:50
Well RS can be a bit of a punist sometimes and the last song on that (noisy) last album is titled "It´s Over". Is he telling the truth this time?

I'm hoping they keep going (they probably will at least for another year or two). With all the delays that happened for 4:13 Dream, maybe since Robert had mentioned possibly having the "dark album" out before his birthday (less than a year's span between albums) it will probably be delayed again, and again. I'm almost hoping it gets delayed because then they'll tour later, which gives me a better chance of being able to go (my parents wouldn't take me, so I'd have to wait until I'm 17 to have a licence, I'll be 16 in june)I've never seen them either. :(

It's unknown exactly what will happen, but I'm sure Robert and the guys will do it with discretion and have the end of the Cure be a worthy one.

If there ever was a time for the band to truly stop I would have guessed right after Wish.  They had reached the apex of their popularity and creativity of the band circa 92-93.  They toured until 1993 and then it all went crazy for the band.  Tolhurst sued them and that set the band back at least a year or two.  All the momentum was gone and with the popularity of Britpop emerging...The Cure were a footnote.  Porl was gone and then Boris left, Simon had to go get help for his drinking problem so it was only Robert and Perry.  That would have been the perfect time for Robert to say "f*ck it, it's time to stop.".  But we know what happened after that.
"You're dying for the hope is gone, from here we go nowhere again."

japanesebaby

Quote from: Rickenbacker4003 on January 18, 2009, 23:45:29
Quote from: AStaticWhiteSound on January 17, 2009, 21:49:50

If there ever was a time for the band to truly stop I would have guessed right after Wish.  They had reached the apex of their popularity and creativity of the band circa 92-93.  They toured until 1993 and then it all went crazy for the band.  Tolhurst sued them and that set the band back at least a year or two.  All the momentum was gone and with the popularity of Britpop emerging...The Cure were a footnote.  Porl was gone and then Boris left, Simon had to go get help for his drinking problem so it was only Robert and Perry.  That would have been the perfect time for Robert to say "f*ck it, it's time to stop.".  But we know what happened after that.

i very much agree.
perhaps roger is/was right. and maybe robert just likes to stop at times, so that he can enjoy the luxury/pleasure of being able to start again. it's about being fully aware of being fully in charge: "i can stop when i want and i can start again when i want".
like i said somewhere above, there is a type of people who get their momentum from that sort of thing. these people might seem unpredictable but they are actually very predictable in all of their "patterned unpredictability".
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

harrold

:( I really don't like to read this thread... terrible topic...  :( Don't wanna think of that... feel like crying..
And I just want to believe that 'once more is never the end'....  :smth100  :smth100  :smth100  :smth100  :smth100

I've checked the interview and Robert says exactly "I can't see a VERY long future for The Cure..."
Thank God, that's different!  :)
"...the kiss is dry and it's not the same you... "