Robert Smith: "The Cure will release a new album soon"

Started by dsanchez, February 15, 2020, 14:57:26

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

QuoteThe first one will definitely be out soon, we're wrapping it up now and it's going to be mixed. But until it's completed, no one will believe me. I look forward to it coming out more than anyone else, trust me!

https://www.spin.com/2020/02/robert-smith-says-the-cure-will-release-a-new-album-soon/
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Finally some news on the album, thanks for sharing!  :smth023

Nothing's promised, but it looks hopeful that I won't have to eat my old hat (as I'd said I was certain the album should be out before Xmas 2020)...
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

SueC

SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Hm, the current situation might lead to more delays (in my humble etc.)...  :1f637:

Assuming Robert was at work mixing the album (as he said), probably the other band members did not need to be there, but a producer, engineers, assistants etc. would be present. In theory, this could be done with the necessary distance - my thinking is: would Robert want to go into a studio? Or rather send the engineers (etc.) home to be with their family? He did not seem in a hurry to finish the album, so I can imagine him spending time with Mary at home.

Then we have the one show the band announced for summer 2020 (sadly might be cancelled anway), which the band viewed as the "full stop" of the 2019 festivals. Thus, I imagine, they would not go out on tour before 2021. Now I still hope the album will be out late 2020, but I'm not that certain any more.  :neutral-face

Let's hope for news at some point in time...

sandgrounder

Even if the album was finished I think it will still be a while before it is ready for sale. I think most Cure fans would prefer to buy a 'physical' copy on CD or vinyl rather than downloading. There would be no point in marketing a record if the shops that sell them are closed.

Ulrich

Quote from: sandgrounder on April 21, 2020, 13:12:34Even if the album was finished I think it will still be a while before it is ready for sale.

That is true, simply because it takes a while until the record company gets the booklet, cd's and vinyl pressed, they'll want to start a marketing campaign, plus they need to send advance copies to music papers etc.!

If there were a release date planned before June 2020, we would already have heard about it.

Anyway, I would hope the shops will be open again way before late 2020 (if not, there's still the online retailers like amazon etc.)!

Ulrich

https://www.nme.com/news/music/robert-smith-says-hes-spent-this-year-finishing-off-the-cures-new-album-and-a-solo-record-2749119

QuoteHaving revealed to NME earlier this year that the band had been hard at work on "two new albums and an hour of noise", now Smith has said that a year trapped inside due to COVID restrictions has made him very productive. The frontman was speaking on BBC 6 Music today (Wednesday September 9) to introduce his new collaboration with Gorillaz, which he said Damon Albarn first sent to him when he was "in the middle of finishing off the big song at the end of The Cure album" which he described as "10 minutes of intense doom and gloom".

Speaking of his life throughout the coronavirus lockdown, Smith said: "I feel really sorry for the people who had plans this year, it's been a disaster. From my own perspective it's great that we got so much done last year. This year has just been – just not a year – it's just been completely weird.

Our whole idea for this year was really finishing off the album we started last year, me finishing off the solo album and also, finishing digitising decades of stuff in order to make this film with Tim Pope about the history of the band. So,  it's actually benefited me because there have been no other distractions, so I've actually got a lot of what I wanted to do, done."

dsanchez

Update from Reeves:

https://www.music-news.com/news/UK/136989/The-Cure-s-comeback-album-is-heavy-and-dark

QuoteIt's a heavy and dark record. I don't think there are any short songs on there.

"The description of Lou Reed's 'Berlin' when it came out was that it was the "'Sgt Pepper' of depression" – I don't know if we're that psychedelic but we are that depressed.

"It was a tough couple of years for everybody. A by-product of getting older is that people around you keep dying. We all lost relatives. Robert lost his brother, I lost a step-dad and father-in-law – while we were on the road too, which meant there was more strain."

The group have recorded so many songs, Reeves isn't sure just how many albums frontman Robert Smith is planning.

He added in an interview with Uncut magazine: "We started the record in January 2019 in Wales – we went in for about two months.

"We'd all been writing before that. So we got together and listened to it all, learned it, went into the studio and recorded it.

"There's enough material for two or three records, a lot of stuff.

"So one of the problems, when you've got enough for two records, is deciding which songs to bring to completion.

"Right now, I'm not 100 per cent sure where we're at. Are we at a record and a half? Are we two records finished?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

word_on_a_wing

Check out what Robert posted on Twitter today...

https://twitter.com/RobertSmith/status/1394092305129291777?s=19
He was referring to a charity event Jason was involved in, but notice the last line:
#wheresthenewalbum?

Hmmm... what do you all think... is he just being a stirrer?
"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

SueC

Quote from: word_on_a_wing on May 17, 2021, 12:08:23#wheresthenewalbum?

Hmmm... what do you all think... is he just being a stirrer?

Stirring the pot is such a delightful hobby, don't you think?  :angel  Especially when other people keep nagging you about something they want.  "Pleeeaase, I want the icecream NOW!  Noooow!"  Wouldn't you stir? I certainly would, but then I'm evil.  :evil:  :winking_tongue
SueC is time travelling

SueC

@word_on_a_wing, have a look at the drumathon topic David just posted, and what Jason Cooper has to say about this matter.  :beaming-face

I also liked Robert Smith's wording in the comments you linked to, promoting this charity event.  "Jason Cooper, drumming god" - Brett has been threatening for a long time now to get his own CF login to start a new topic with exactly that title, just to stir up the naysayers - but @Ulrich prefers a quiet life, I'm sure.   :angel

Have Robert Smith's several hundred nephews and nieces never explained to him that writing in CAPS LOCK is considered "shouting"? Surely they must have...
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

"New album" - that's been a good one since 2018 already!  :lol:

"Sometime soon" is what Jason said - well let's hope so.  :cool

(Whenever I see "caps lock" in connection with The Cure I think "oh it must be Robert himself".)

SueC

OK, I just saw something I thought I'd drop in here, in case anyone is stressing because The Cure are now largely around 60 years old.

Yes yes, we know their live performances are better than ever, but I'd just like you all to contemplate how many more albums one could theoretically make in 20 years...  :yum:

Brett is saying, "At this rate..." but that's not the point; good things come to those who wait etc and sometimes things take a while until they are exactly how you want them to be, no matter how old you are (and especially if you can still buy groceries regardless of how long you take).

From an instrumental perspective, this pianist is showing you can still be super sharp at 80. Good genes and a healthy lifestyle help, and that includes continuing to challenge your brain throughout your life instead of feeling you've arrived.  :cool
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

https://www.loudersound.com/news/robert-smith-says-the-cure-have-recorded-two-new-albums

QuoteRobert Smith has revealed that two new albums by The Cure have been recorded. Smith made the remarks during an interview with Zane Lowe on Apple Music 1, where he was interviewed alongside Chvrches about their new collaboration, How Not To Drown, which was released yesterday. 

"Probably in about six weeks time I'll be able to say when everything's coming out and what we're doing next year and everything," said Smith. "So we were doing two albums and one of them's very, very doom and gloom and the other one isn't. And they're both very close to being done. I just have to decide who's going to mix them. That's really all I've got left to do."

Ulrich

https://www.stereogum.com/2149872/robert-smith-explains-why-hes-made-an-album-without-the-cure-ive-always-wanted-to-do-an-hours-worth-of-noise/news/

QuoteSmith has been talking about releasing new Cure albums for years now, but it seems like he has a solo album in the works too.
"The reason I was doing something on my own was for exactly the same reason I was doing collaborations; I've always wanted to do an hour's worth of noise, and I didn't want it... The Cure, you wait 10 years and then we bring out an album that's just noise. So it was just like, 'No,'" he explained. "That was me doing the rest of the band. That 'no' was a band no. So I've been just having fun with that really."