3 (9.4%)
Other (State Song/Show)
1 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

KingOfSomeIsland

All of them are fuckin amazing  :-D
Plainsong is extra special to me though

othervoices

I'll go with underneath the stars, stunning on the 4tour... plainsong has been my favorite since '89 so I'm due a change of favorite!

mint car

its very hard to choose from this list, because each one is great! I love Plainsong so much, but I voted for Underneath The Stars, because it's momentary one of my fav songs  ;)
[i]...sleep sweet child the moon will change your mind...[/i]

jakso

for me it's...Plainsong..phenomenal song  :smth023

rubcure

Plainsong!!!  :smth023 

my favourite opener ever!!!
[center][size=10pt][font=arial][color=black]"...and the way the rain comes down hard is how i feel inside..."[/color][/font][/size][/center]

PAOKCURE

Although I absolutely adore Plainsong, I prefer to hear:

I realy don't know what I do here...

in the beginning of the concert

...and wait for Plainsong along with Disintegration and The Same Deep Water As You in one of the encores IN MY DREAM CONCERT
I went away alone with nothing left but faith

disintegration

Datemi un cielo per caderci dentro!
SOLO LA TERNANA!
http://www.ternanashirts.it/
LADY, la luce nel mio buio!

Trust...

Plainsong ... pure magic  :smth060
Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

Matti

Seems like I'm the only one so far who voted for OOTW. I agree that Plainsong is one of the (and perhaps the) best opening song for a show, but then again it's in my opinion one of the über-songs anyway. For me, opening a concert with OOTW is like a huge wave of emotion taking you up an sweeping you to some place - well, out of this world I guess...
and we close our eyes to sleep
to dream a boy and girl
who dream the world is nothing but a dream

Borl Poris

I love the Cure live. I haven't missed a tour since 87, but I've often wondered why they always open their shows with album openers. For instance... Shake Dog Shake, The Kiss, Plainsong, Open, Want, Out Of This World, Lost, Underneath The Stars...In 2016 they opened a show with Pictures Of You, but I think it's the first time they opened with a non album opener since Shiver And Shake in '93 and The Baby Screams in 85.

Just curious to hear what other members think would be great show openers? I think Burn, would be a great one. Also, All Cats Are Grey would set a nice Plainsong-esque atmosphere

dsanchez

Quote from: Borl Poris on March 25, 2018, 21:31:19
In 2016 they opened a show with Pictures Of You, but I think it's the first time they opened with a non album opener since Shiver And Shake in '93 and The Baby Screams in 85.

I don't remember any 2016 show when they started with POY, it was always "Open", "Plainsong" or "Shake Dog Shake".

Anyway, merging this topic with an existing one that discuss the same subject. My favorite concert opener is "Want".
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

I love the Cure live. I haven't missed a tour since 87, but I've often wondered why they always open their shows with album openers.

Well, I guess the reason is: because they think that the album opener is a good one to "Open" the show as well (pun absolutely intended)!

Of course, at a time when the album was new, there was a logic to it! I do remember being at the 1992 concert in Stuttgart and my mates wondering what would be the first song. Well I had read some music papers before the gig, so I said "I'm sure it will be 'Open' - would be logical too". One mate said "if they'll play that at first, I'll leave", I said "well then, go and leave!" (Yes, you all know which was the opener then.)  :lol:
Needless to say, the last song (before the encores) was "End" (logical as well).

When it comes to my taste, I'd say the combination of "Adagio for strings" playing before the band played "Out of this world" was very good. Of course, so was "Tape/Open" and "Plainsong" and "Want" are great openers too.
("The Kiss" or "Shake dog shake" for example, work very well in other parts of the show and do not 'scream' for being an "opener" as the others do.)
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

tanyasmith

They opened with Out of This World at their last shows in Wembley in 2016 and I just remember that it felt so appropriate. After 6 months of lots of people following them from show to show around the world, lost in bubbles of bliss, the lyrics were very grounding: "We always have to go back to real lives...where we belong."

Borl Poris

Quote from: dsanchez on March 25, 2018, 21:40:55
In 2016 they opened a show with Pictures Of You, but I think it's the first time they opened with a non album opener since Shiver And Shake in '93 and The Baby Screams in 85.

I don't remember any 2016 show when they started with POY, it was always "Open", "Plainsong" or "Shake Dog Shake".

Anyway, merging this topic with an existing one that discuss the same subject. My favorite concert opener is "Want".

They opened with Pictures Of You in Charlotte, North Carolina in 2016. Maybe they cut Plainsong due to time limitations.

It must have been cool to see them open with something different for a change, but a complete bummer for people who really love Plainsong