2008.06.18 Cleveland - The Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Convocation Center (USA)

Started by dsanchez, September 13, 2007, 16:45:43

Previous topic - Next topic

j

lostflower4

Quote from: j on June 19, 2008, 06:32:28
Quote from: lostflower4 on June 19, 2008, 01:20:36
Quote from: Krakr on June 18, 2008, 21:11:05
What can we hope for? More standard show than in Charlotte before crazy final in NYC? Or even better than in Charlotte?

I'd bet for a more regular show this time, unless cameras are here  ;)

Ah, ye of little faith. Tonight will be a very special show. I've had this idea in my head for over a month now.

Just got back from the show.  More of the friggin' same.  The only difference was Charlotte.  The only highlight of tonight besides Charlotte was shaking Jason's hand right before 65dos went on.

Not as good as I would have expected, but still above average.

You got Torture also. Only the third time that's been played in over 10 years. Fits the new lineup perfectly.

If they could sound as good as that on every song, they'd be just as good as they ever were.

crowbi_wan

Quote from: lostflower4 on June 19, 2008, 06:51:00
Quote from: j on June 19, 2008, 06:32:28
Quote from: lostflower4 on June 19, 2008, 01:20:36
Quote from: Krakr on June 18, 2008, 21:11:05
What can we hope for? More standard show than in Charlotte before crazy final in NYC? Or even better than in Charlotte?

I'd bet for a more regular show this time, unless cameras are here  ;)

Ah, ye of little faith. Tonight will be a very special show. I've had this idea in my head for over a month now.

Just got back from the show.  More of the friggin' same.  The only difference was Charlotte.  The only highlight of tonight besides Charlotte was shaking Jason's hand right before 65dos went on.

Not as good as I would have expected, but still above average.

You got Torture also. Only the third time that's been played in over 10 years. Fits the new lineup perfectly.

If they could sound as good as that on every song, they'd be just as good as they ever were.

And J has been to the three shows that Torture has been played at.  That wouldn't disappoint me.  Besides, Torture and Charlotte, you also got Want and Fire in Cairo.  Not bad if you ask me.       

j

I should also mention that Porl was in the mix a lot more than usual tonight.  You can't go wrong having Porl coming through the PA!

lostflower4

Quote from: j on June 19, 2008, 06:59:05
You can't go wrong having Porl coming through the PA!

No doubt.

Curious how Want is sounding these days. I think it sounded really off in Miami '07, but maybe they just needed some more practice?

j

QuoteAnd J has been to the three shows that Torture has been played at.  That wouldn't disappoint me.

Exactly.  And they also played torture at the Hahn and Hamburg, Germany shows I went to in 2002.  Maybe RS knows I am there, and plays it for me!

Want was good.  FIC I have seen a bunch as well (or so it seems).  And it seems they play the 17 seconds encore at most shows I have been at this year.

askbill

The music sounded better than ever, Porl really shreds! Robert's throat was either bothering him or he was saving it for the last two NYC shows because, although he did not sound bad, he was cutting out a lot of lyrics, not forgetting them, just doing without them. And he wasn't cutting loose the way I have become accustomed to. The new songs were pretty good for having really gotten my first good listen, but Robert's singing style on the new songs was clearly different from earlier work, obviously to meet the changing nature of just getting older, which I think is very smart. His earlier work was written to be sung by a younger throat.

The highlights for me were definitely Kyoto Song, Torture, Push, Charlotte Sometimes, and the entire second encore full of 3IB era songs. I thought I would never get to hear Fire in Cairo, Grinding Halt, and Jumping Someone Else's Train Live.

Overall, three hour show, good acoustics, great songs, incredible Porl, Robert sounding good singing a younger man's songs, and let's face it, THE CURE!!!, my wife and I had a great time. I hope the lucky Cure fans who got tickets to Radio City Music Hall have a great time.

Peace,
Bill

rodney

I was hoping I wouldn't be kicking myself for not going to this show, and while I'm sure I would've had a great time, it's similar enough to the two 4tour shows that I did see that I'm overall not too disapointed that I stayed home.

askbill

Quote from: rodney on June 19, 2008, 14:43:09
I was hoping I wouldn't be kicking myself for not going to this show, and while I'm sure I would've had a great time, it's similar enough to the two 4tour shows that I did see that I'm overall not too disapointed that I stayed home.

It was a tour not to be missed, I'm glad you are not kicking yourself this morning. I am just really happy we made it to a show because I almost couldn't go this time around.

Krakr

Well, pretty standard as I suspected! All my hopes for the 2 last NYC shows!

cure_kitty

askbill--Glad you enjoyed the show and were able to get to one this time around!  :-D

j-Your pictures in the gallery are good!  Thanks for sharing & have an Awesome time in NYC.  I hope they play the Faith Encore at least once!   :smth023

rodney---I was planning to go to this show too but plans fell through but I agree, the show was like the two I saw earlier on the tour.  Actually I think we went to same ones, Philly & Chicago???  :D

rodney

malfleur

I have to say that I was somehow disappointed with the Cleveland show for several reasons:

1) The crowd was worst that I've seen in a cure show. Lots of drunks, an impressive complement of rednecks skinheads, and seemed to be a greatest hits crowd or people who'd go to any show for the beer. The true cure fans were relatively sparse at least in the back where I was (row 23 on the floor; best ticketmaster had to offer the moment they started selling. Not sure how everyone got much better tickets).
This was obvious when the less familiar songs came up: barely anyone moved during wrong number, there wasn't the crowd singing during Play for today.

2) I personally felt the acoustics were horrible. It was very loud for that space and it seemed like the equalizer at the soundstage was set to max bass max treble and fairly messed up midrange. I think the cure sound best in huge spaces (e.g., Wembley) or truly outdoor places (e.g., NY in Curiosa) vs. small venues and pavilions.

3) Robert was visibly restricting his voice. "Us or them" is case in point, you didn't have the usual anger that he makes.

4) Setlist... What can I say? Going over the list of songs that were played in the tour, none of the things I hoped for were there: plainsong, underneath the stars, strange day, how beautiful you are, bloodflowers, to wish impossible, etc.

In fact, what strikes me as the strangest about this show is that there were no quieter sad songs. It was almost too upbeat. I don't know how the band managed to get through that since the solos of the quiet songs are a good time for them to rest.

Only good points were "Play for today", "M", "Charlotte Sometimes", and the retro encore that made me feel so old :)

WaxlyMolding

If anyone's interested, there are 2 sources being seeded publiclly already- one on Dime and one that just appeared on Zomb.

malfleur

Quote from: WaxlyMolding on June 22, 2008, 01:16:13
If anyone's interested, there are 2 sources being seeded publiclly already- one on Dime and one that just appeared on Zomb.

For the computer challenged (or not computer challenged, just someone who's never used torrents before)? How do we get to them?