Best of: Seventeen Seconds

Started by scatcat, December 22, 2007, 21:42:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Which song is the best from the album 'Seventeen Seconds' ?

A Reflection
Play For Today
Secrets
In Your House
Three
The Final Sound
A Forest
M
At Night
Seventeen Seconds

scatcat

Which is your ultimate favourite song from the album 'Seventeen Seconds' ?
Cast a vote, and post a reply with the reason why this song is the best!
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Hero

A Forest because i have very nice memories of that song, also the first cure song i ever heard but i love them all Seventeen Seconds is one of my favourite albums.

rubcure

A forest for me because I remember that song when I was only 12 and I watched the video (for me the first of The Cure)  :smth020 but I like M, at night and Play for Today too. :smth023
[center][size=10pt][font=arial][color=black]"...and the way the rain comes down hard is how i feel inside..."[/color][/font][/size][/center]

Steve

A Forest. No question there.

But have a damned good listen to the song 17 Seconds.
It's a masterpiece.
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

japanesebaby

i really don't know what to vote here. i tend to listen albums very much as a whole and not as a collection of songs. on some labums the songs are more easily separated though, yet on some others it's more difficult. this is one of the really tough cases.

if the question was about a live song, then i'd probably say 'a forest' - but now i think i have to pass voting altogether....
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

crowbi_wan

I really dig Secrets.  Play For Today has long been a favorite of mine as well, but Secrets is the preferred track on Seventeen Seconds.  All in all, it's really a pretty basic song, just that the vocal part has some cool layering effects.  Then there's whispering of "keep quiet" at the beginning which is a perfect touch to get the song started. 

LuvURobert

Hmmm.  Definitely a favorite is A Forest for me as well.  It just seems so timeless and hearing it just brings back really fond memories!!  I can picture living at home with the parents and being locked in my bedroom watching this crappy VHS tape that I had with all the Cure videos on them... (BTW, sorry for getting off-topic here, but have to say after seeing this again ~ Robert does look like Ben Affleck, especially when he played in Dare Devil  :shock:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY7wuV_C1oI  (sorry couldn't resist)

Also, I thought this little article was quite interesting on the making of A Forest.  I didn't realize there was so much going on in recording a track like this!!  My hubby tried explaining some of the terms to me, having to do with the amps, etc. but it's all Greek to me!

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec04/articles/classictracks.htm

p.s. I do also love Play for Today (but only voted on A Forest  ;))

Thanks and sorry to make this post sooooo long!!!

"And I shiver and shake
When I think of how you make me hate"

disintegration

A Forest for me, but all the album is very good!  :rocker
Datemi un cielo per caderci dentro!
SOLO LA TERNANA!
http://www.ternanashirts.it/
LADY, la luce nel mio buio!

Steve

Quote from: crowbi_wan on December 23, 2007, 17:06:36
I really dig Secrets.  Play For Today has long been a favorite of mine as well, but Secrets is the preferred track on Seventeen Seconds.  All in all, it's really a pretty basic song, just that the vocal part has some cool layering effects.  Then there's whispering of "keep quiet" at the beginning which is a perfect touch to get the song started. 

I just played that & you are right. A very  cagey little number, but hits the spot.
Still find myself going back to a forest though.
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

silversand

I've voted for A Forest, because i love this song!!
But i love the whole album. I also love songs like e.g. at night, M, Play for today etc.!!!

scatcat

It has to be A FOREST for me... One I never get sick of hearing....one of the first songs that got me hooked on The Cure.. :smth023
some versions of other songs,Play for Today I love live!! :rocker
M, Secrets, 17 seconds also deserve a vote.. although so hard to seperate ...ohh it's ;ilke choosing between your own children!!

:smth020
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

aap

for me: Play For Today, cause it was the first song of The Cure that i heard, and till now the best!       (but A Forest rocks too  :-D)

robiola

I voted for Seventeen Seconds, but it's hard for me to say why, as it was hard to choose. (What about A Forest! a part of me screams. What about M!!) Aside from the music, I remember when I first heard it the concept really grabbed me -- seventeen seconds, a measure of life....

Sussex

At night is the best for me..i really love the bass-line of the song..

A Forest is good too, but id rather choose the one with a bass-line that always make me goosebumps when i listen to it loudly.. :rocker
"Thick As Shit"

Oneiros

I vote for 'A forest'. A classic... a deep and amazing song. But I also enjoy a lot 'Play for today' or 'In your house' from this album.
Always keep a dark space in your heart