The Cure to release new album end of 2019?

Started by dsanchez, February 02, 2019, 13:18:10

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

Christmas time is usually the best time to release an album, so wouldn't be surprised if with The Cure is the same:

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

bobcat

Quote from: dsanchez on February 02, 2019, 13:18:10
Christmas time is usually the best time to release an album, so wouldn't be surprised if with The Cure is the same:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/CraigatCoF?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@CraigatCoF</a> Interesting stuff : a friend working for universal has seen The Cure has just been added to their Q4 record release forecast files !</p>&mdash; Eric le Curiste (@ericlecuriste) <a href="https://twitter.com/ericlecuriste/status/1088446731258216448?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 24, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Q4. the fourth quarter of the year then. so the Fall or Winter..i say the Fall! :) ive always heard the spring and the fall are the best times to release an album. looks like the new album might be out right around the time of a NA tour if that happens. Roger mentioned in an interview recently about a NA tour in the fall possibly. that makes sense. The record company prob would like them to tour/promote the new album. (that they wont play much off of anyway haha) and thats fine by me! lol

i hope they come to toronto this year and play there OWN show and not some festival like the last two times they were here, that i didnt go to :/ if its later in the year thats good! outdoor festivals will be finished by then for sure. yaa! i hope so!

tanyasmith

What is Robert getting himself into...??? Ha ha. I guess I'm empathetically feeling the wild, crazy busyness of a soon to be world wide tour, although I must admit that after just writing that I'm feeling a really foundational vibe, as if it's going to be a really fulfilling, thorough experience for everybody. Robert was joking when he said it's a really dark album, wasn't he? Then again, I'm anticipating something like Wish for some reason. Many of us know that Robert loves Christmas, so will it be released then or in the Fall? They said the Fall, but often things get held up, so it would seem more likely Christmas or even post-Christmas. I'm feeling some good, deep songs.

Ulrich

Quote from: tanyasmith on June 14, 2019, 23:04:14Robert was joking when he said it's a really dark album, wasn't he?

Erm, I don't think so. He said this several times in interviews, what made you think it was a joke?  :?
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

the thread of a dream

They are mixing the album right now (during the Summer)he mentioned in some BBC 6 interview. Agh! I'm really excited, with all the new modern bands he's been listening to, he's been really inspired. I'm thinking it's gonna be pretty modern. (But not shit what's on the radio modern, that's just kack). So I'm looking forward to it! Hopefully the boys might be a bit more popular again. There's only so many times I can listen to Madonna's come back,(ack) it's about time we hear about The Cure's 'come back'!
☆Slit the cats like cheese!
Then eat the sweet sticky things! ☆

tanyasmith

Quote from: Ulrich on June 15, 2019, 09:26:43
Quote from: tanyasmith on June 14, 2019, 23:04:14Robert was joking when he said it's a really dark album, wasn't he?

Erm, I don't think so. He said this several times in interviews, what made you think it was a joke?  :?

Roger recently said in an interview that one should never believe anything Robert says. Even a biographer disagrees with points about Robert's life that Robert himself has said are true. If it's anything like Wish (and I know you have your method for predicting what kind of album The Cure is going to release next) it would have deep, dark songs. I don't know if they still feel influenced to add lighter, pop songs for the general public or not, but that's what they did for Wish (Friday I'm in Love, which I read was meant to be a slow song, but sounded good as a pop song when speeded up, and High). Back to Robert's honesty, it's possible that he feels a disconnect when being interviewed, as if the truth is not that important to tell, being that he's not emotionally connected to the person interviewing him and the silence of the audience to whom he's speaking, also I wonder if he might say what he thinks fans want to hear. I believe Robert is authentic, especially when in front of audiences. He has a way of connecting that's deeply moving, as if he's able to align his heartbeat with the rest of ours. It's really special standing in front of him. One can feel loved for the rest of their life from just one experience of being that close to Robert Smith, but I don't see anything in his astro chart that gives him a particular drive to be honest. Plus, he's an artist. What he says one moment might feel wrong in the next moment. Only time will tell how the next album will be. I imagine great changes can be made in the mixing and who knows if they add a few songs they weren't intending to when recording? Would we all know if they went back to the studio to record two new songs? I'm going to stop now...:-)

Ulrich

Quote from: tanyasmith on June 18, 2019, 02:47:48Roger recently said in an interview that one should never believe anything Robert says.

And? Roger talks a lot and that proves absolutely nothing. And btw, I was asking about why you think it was a "joke", not a "lie"...

Of course, it has been said many times before: plans can change. If Robert talks about the future, things might change. And in the past, he has had some fun telling lies to interviewers...

Still, his talk about the recordings, sounded both serious and believable.

Quote from: tanyasmith on June 18, 2019, 02:47:48Only time will tell how the next album will be. I imagine great changes can be made in the mixing and who knows if they add a few songs they weren't intending to when recording? Would we all know if they went back to the studio to record two new songs?

Maybe, as usual someone from the band will mention it or word will get out...

Yes, even RS himself mentioned they might add two songs to "out-balance" the darker stuff, still that won't make it into a "pop album".

word_on_a_wing

"it's about time we hear about The Cure's 'come back'!"

...they never left! 😁
"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

the thread of a dream

Hence the quotations! But new albums/music wise, it has been 10 years.
☆Slit the cats like cheese!
Then eat the sweet sticky things! ☆

tanyasmith

Quote from: Ulrich on June 18, 2019, 11:15:40And btw, I was asking about why you think it was a "joke", not a "lie"...

What I meant by the joke is that I know Robert knows that the hardcore fans want deep, dark stuff, so I wondered if he was being his jokey self saying "yeah, the album is going to be really dark." Also the media won't let him live off "goth" so he could have been trying to mess around with them by perpetuating the label they've given him. If we take Robert's words seriously, it will be a dark, heavy album, depressing, sad, melancholy, morose. Personally, I'd love to hear songs that reflect that he's in good condition mentally, spiritually, and emotionally. I'd love to hear wisdom. Out of This World is along the lines of what I'm speaking about, Jupiter Crash, How Beautiful You Are, To Wish Impossible Things...Phenomenal art songs.

Ulrich

Quote from: tanyasmith on June 18, 2019, 18:03:13What I meant by the joke is that I know Robert knows that the hardcore fans want deep, dark stuff, so I wondered if he was being his jokey self saying "yeah, the album is going to be really dark."
IF he'd said it like that (which he didn't) I'd tend to agree it might be a joke. But I don't, he said it right after the recordings, so I guess he told it like it is.

Even "Disintegration" had its fair share of hit singles though, thus there is nothing to worry about.

dsanchez

Quote from: Ulrich on June 18, 2019, 20:33:34
Quote from: tanyasmith on June 18, 2019, 18:03:13What I meant by the joke is that I know Robert knows that the hardcore fans want deep, dark stuff, so I wondered if he was being his jokey self saying "yeah, the album is going to be really dark."
IF he'd said it like that (which he didn't) I'd tend to agree it might be a joke. But I don't, he said it right after the recordings, so I guess he told it like it is.

Even "Disintegration" had its fair share of hit singles though, thus there is nothing to worry about.

Indeed, I don't think he was joking:

Quote"It's so dark. It's incredibly intense," he explained. "The songs are like 10 minutes, 12 minutes long. We recorded 19 songs. So I have no idea what to do now. The others are saying, 'triple album!' I'm saying, no let's not. I'll pick six or maybe eight songs and do like a single album. But I think I will delight our hardcore fans. And probably really, really infuriate everyone else. At my age, I'm still doom and gloom."

P.S Wrote my reply on your post and edited by accident, sorry about that @Ulrich
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

tanyasmith

I don't know...something tells me the guys are just messing around with peoples minds. It's as if they know that playing up on the goth thing is winning with doom and gloom fans, maybe especially the new wave of goth Cure fans. Simon said in Singletrack "You know, the thing is with Robert, he's not a fake, he is what you see. He is Mr. Goth - he does go to bed at seven (am) and gets up at 2pm." (That article is quoted on Curefans: http://curefans.com/index.php?topic=8852.0). I read it now and I think, well maybe. Maybe that's true, but my first instinct when I first read it was that Simon was pushing the goth image on Robert for sale purposes. I don't know why I got that impression, but I did. I also got the feeling that Simon was angry with Robert, like something happened to strain their relationship. Eden made a public statement about a year ago about how new bands should be given more recognition and out with the old. I think he was talking about radio play. I don't think he meant it as a direct statement against The Cure, but...Also, Robert has brought on all kinds of bands to the festivals, but has he asked Violet Vendetta to play? So I wonder if there's been tension about that. And did Robert go to Eden's wedding? I didn't see him in any of the pictures. Anyway, just stuff that's none of my business that I'm curious about.

Ulrich

Thanks @dsanchez, it's okay, I think it was an unimportant part which got "lost" due to edit. And thanks for the quote, does not sound like he's joking to me.

Quote from: tanyasmith on June 19, 2019, 04:31:39Maybe that's true, but my first instinct when I first read it was that Simon was pushing the goth image on Robert for sale purposes.

Robert (and those who know him) has often talked about how he stays up until the early hours of the day... but he does not do it because he thinks it is "goth", he does it because that's who he is. He happens to like wearing black, that's his taste - he does not do it because he wants to be "goth".

He happens to write songs which often tend to have a melancholy mood, to me that is not "goth" (maybe it is for others).

Also, Robert has mentioned that he never really liked the typical "gothic rock", so he can't be "goth", can he?

chemicaloverload

Goth is a mindset. Even in my tender old age, I tend to revert back to my goth childhood ways (the dark grape purple hair I'm rocking just now is perpetuating it  :rofl) because thats where I feel most comfortable.

Bring on the darkness  :cool
Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves