Equipment to tape a concert

Started by dsanchez, March 05, 2007, 16:44:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Druide

Quote from: Tof on August 31, 2007, 16:00:16
Quote from: Druide on August 31, 2007, 15:48:42
Quote from: Tof on August 31, 2007, 13:28:38
I need a SD cards ...

regardes les comparateurs de prix et FAIS attention aux dispos et délais...

;)

Do you think 4 Go is enough ???

Sure...it's enough for a BIG show and you can to record in 24 bits/48 khz...
But for many shows in a week or 2, you'll need many cards or take a laptop...

(ou sinon à la Fnac, il éxiste un truc pas mal du tout, un lecteur de cartes mémoires et qui stocke les données pour environ 130 â,¬)
...Dancing in my pocket...

Druide

Quote from: Tof on August 31, 2007, 16:05:05
Which mic do you think, do you have some reference ???

And for less quality !!!

I'm in my job...no time but :

http://www.core-sound.com/mics.html
http://www.schoeps.de/F-2004/navigator.html (in french)
http://www.schoeps.de/E-2004/navigator.html (in english)
http://www.pricerunner.fr/f/176/Microphones?a_search=classic&ref=sp&q=classic

For the less quality... maybe take the karaoke mic of your kid...
:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Ds ces liens tu trouveras ton bonheur

:)

Druide

japanesebaby

i've read a couple of user reviews from a local finnish forum for audiophiles/tapers/studio-freaks, and i've noticed that more than one people were saying they were disappointed with edirol R-09 because of the background noise/"hissy hum" which it produces (and which obviously can't ne removed??). anyway, that was surprising to me since the manufacturer has especially advertized this product as having "crystal clear sound".
m-audio microtrack got better user reviews, what comes to the sound quality.
anyway, i've never used either one, just something i've read more than once. so just wondering if anyone with edirol has noticed/paid attention to such a thing.
:?:
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

japanesebaby

another hiss complaint here (srcoll down to the reviews, see the first one):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edirol-R09R-Recorder-LIMITED-OFFER/dp/B000NJPMMO

...the Edirol R-09 hisses like a pre Dolby cassette deck.

i wonder if this hiss problem refers to recording with the built-in mics only? and so once you move on to using external mics this shouldn't be a problem(?).
or, it's a volume level thing - from the same review:

Loud source material may drown the hiss but any recording of low level sound will reveal the hiss problem.

lostflower4

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 31, 2007, 20:50:36
i wonder if this hiss problem refers to recording with the built-in mics only? and so once you move on to using external mics this shouldn't be a problem(?).
or, it's a volume level thing - from the same review:

Loud source material may drown the hiss but any recording of low level sound will reveal the hiss problem.

I've heard this too, but I always assumed they were talking about the built-in mics. Those are very hissy.

Also, it's possible that the mic input is noisy. However, my mics are powered by a battery box, so I always plug into the line in â€" which is supposed to be quieter anyway.

Some people will use the Edirol to power their mics and thus use the mic input, but this usually does not provide adequate power for optimum sound.

I have actively listened for hiss during my recordings, and it's just not there. Yes, there is a little background noise in extremely quiet situations (standing in a room all by yourself), but all mics have self-noise. Mine will always produce about 26 dB of their own noise, which is easily drowned out by loud music.

japanesebaby

i thought so too. yet i'm maybe still wondering a bit since some also say the hiss cannot be removed by using external mics.
from the amazon list of reviews (from the bottom of the list):

There is a permanent hiss on the recordings. I guess the signal-to-noise ratio is not better than 45dB (the manufacturer doesn't provide data!). Even when I used an external condenser mic (AKG414 costing £750) with a Beyerdynamic pre-amplifier routing the signal through the line input the hiss was still there. This was disappointing, but then you cannot expect too much for £260. JM

rjl

I'm pretty sure that the noise issue is caused by using the mic-in instead of the line-in. I remember from my MD days a lot of people complaining about noise, and the remedy always seemed to be "use the line input".

lostflower4

Well, now you're getting me worried. :lol:

Ok, here's something from a recording of mine. The beginning part is probably about the closest to silence you'll ever hear at a rock concert.

http://www.imaginary-lemurs.com/samples/10%20You've%20Got%20Another%20Thing%20Comin'.mp3

Mind you, there are still people rustling about and even some motorcyles in the background â€" but even if I'm trying to hear some bad hiss on purpose, it's just not there.

And you can see this absolutely couldn't be a problem when the music starts.

(I know, this is the kind of music that all Cure fans love...)

lostflower4

Quote from: dsanchez on August 31, 2007, 21:38:18Sorry for the silly question, but why do I need a "battery box". I thought I could buy the mics and connect them directly to the iRiver :roll:

It's simple. Mics need a source of power to function correctly. Now, some recorders will provide some degree of power, but it's usually not enough to give the mics their full potential.

My mics require 9 volts of power, and there's just no way any recording device is going to provide that (my Edirol is running on 2.4 volts of batteries!)

rjl

Quote from: lostflower4 on August 31, 2007, 21:30:03
(I know, this is the kind of music that all Cure fans love...)

Judas Priest, I am guessing? If so, awesome. Halford or Owens? (I can't check the sample at the moment).

Quote from: dsanchezSorry for the silly question, but why do I need a "battery box". I thought I could buy the mics and connect them directly to the iRiver rolleyes

If I remember correctly, powering your mic's will allow them to handle higher SPL levels before they distort. And it may have some bearing on the frequency range, as well. But definitely it will allow you to record in higher-decibel situations than you could without powering them.

Tof

I find this sample perfect, I think better is a soundboard !!!

Which mic it is Caley ???
Tof

lostflower4

Quote from: Tof on September 01, 2007, 01:17:20
I find this sample perfect for me, I think better is a soundboard !!!

Which mic it is Caley ???

Well, it's not Judast Priest (only a cover of them), but these are my mics:

http://www.core-sound.com/bk/1.php

They're actually just two DPA 4061 mics matched for sensitivity, with a special battery box made by Core Sound. But the package deal makes it worth it.

lostflower4

Here are some photos of my “pimped out” Edirol.

I’ve put black electrical tape over the built-in mics as well as over the record button (it flashes obnoxiously bright red when recording). Now I can just see a faint glow coming out from the sides, which is plenty to know it's working. I’ve also got a small piece of tape on the right side to help me find the hold switch more easily in the dark.

I also put a piece of tape on the back to keep the “bass cut” switch from shifting to on. This is kind of like a bass roll-off filter on the recorder, but it’s very strong. Not a good thing!   The other three switches on the back are not functional when using the line input, so it doesn't matter how they are set. And finally, I also put tape over the mic input so I don’t accidentally plug into the wrong hole!  ;)

I started off using a 4 GB SD card with a 2 GB as a backup, but since then I also got an 8 GB card and now use the 4 GB as a backup. If you’re recording at 24-bit / 48 kHz mode, it will use about 1 GB per hour. I figured for any Cure shows with an opening act or any other long festivals, this would still be cutting it close. I like to be able to just let the recorder run and not have to worry about it. And yes, 8 GB cards to work with the latest firmware even though it’s not published anywhere. You just have to make sure they are the SDHC Class 2 type. This is the kind I got (one of the very few of this like this that are currently available):

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Flash-memory-card-Class/dp/B000OF2F2W/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-8418285-0609638?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1188624146&sr=8-2

You might be able to find a somewhat better deal if you shop around.

As for what mics to get, it's really impossible to say unless you know what your price range is. I'm sure you could spend a million dollars on some mega-uber deluxe stealth mics if you had the cash. :P

Steve

:shock:
It's tiny :shock:
Have you used it yet, for a show, i mean?
What were the results like?
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php