vote for The Cure at the European MTV Awards!

Started by japanesebaby, September 04, 2008, 08:46:34

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

i just noticed that the cure is listed in the "headliner" category in the preliminary rounds for the MTVEMA:

http://ema.mtv.co.uk/vote/

five artists with the most votes in each category will become official 2008 nominees.

go vote.  :-D

(you can of course choose to vote for fall out boy or tokio hotel just as well....
and you can also fill in your own nominees for each category, in case the pre-listed ones don't please you.)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Trust...

Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on September 04, 2008, 08:46:34

No way. I refuse to get involved in such blatantly mainstream activities!  :twisted:

japanesebaby

disintegration

Datemi un cielo per caderci dentro!
SOLO LA TERNANA!
http://www.ternanashirts.it/
LADY, la luce nel mio buio!

Lady

[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

iwannashagsimon

Voted as well.

Hhmmm...why just headliners and not best act ever? ;)  Hell, they could have easily been nominated for both.  :-D

Janko

Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

rubcure

[center][size=10pt][font=arial][color=black]"...and the way the rain comes down hard is how i feel inside..."[/color][/font][/size][/center]

disintegration

Datemi un cielo per caderci dentro!
SOLO LA TERNANA!
http://www.ternanashirts.it/
LADY, la luce nel mio buio!

Trust...

Disintegration, you're right! Come on, just vote  :-D
Maybe it helps???????
Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

japanesebaby

Quote from: Janko on September 05, 2008, 00:57:31
Quote from: revolt on September 04, 2008, 10:31:26

No way. I refuse to get involved in such blatantly mainstream activities!  :twisted:

Me neither.

:!:

i got into thinking this again. i suppose you mean it to be a sort of statement, not to vote. and sure i agree with you that MTV is totally idiotic and who really cares for it? well at least i don't. but that's also why i don't see not voting as a statement either. if one wants to make a statement then the subject at hand must be somewhat important, something that matters - and MTV is not that.
would i rather see a ridiculous band like tokio hotel be nominated than a good band like the cure? well, i'd rather see the latter one.
so i can vote (even though MTV is idiotic) because i don't see anything to lose for the cure there. whether or not they get nominated or not, MTV can't hurt them, there's nothing they can lose there. 

(that doesn't mean people HAVE TO vote. of course not. it's just that "because it is mainstream" seems to be an somewhat empty statement for me. it's like saying "i won't support my favorite band because I am embarrassed by the context they are put in". but so what? surely it's embarrassing, that they get listed next to tokio hotel. but i think it's embarrassing for tokio hotel, not for the cure! so hmm, perhaps you cannot vote because you are actually rooting for tokio hotel?  :-D)

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on September 05, 2008, 12:02:29
Quote from: Janko on September 05, 2008, 00:57:31
Quote from: revolt on September 04, 2008, 10:31:26

Me neither.

:!:

i got into thinking this again. i suppose you mean it to be a sort of statement, not to vote. and sure i agree with you that MTV is totally idiotic and who really cares for it? well at least i don't. but that's also why i don't see not voting as a statement either. if one wants to make a statement then the subject at hand must be somewhat important, something that matters - and MTV is not that.
would i rather see a ridiculous band like tokio hotel be nominated than a good band like the cure? well, i'd rather see the latter one.
so i can vote (even though MTV is idiotic) because i don't see anything to lose for the cure there. whether or not they get nominated or not, MTV can't hurt them, there's nothing they can lose there. 

(that doesn't mean people HAVE TO vote. of course not. it's just that "because it is mainstream" seems to be an somewhat empty statement for me. it's like saying "i won't support my favorite band because I am embarrassed by the context they are put in". but so what? surely it's embarrassing, that they get listed next to tokio hotel. but i think it's embarrassing for tokio hotel, not for the cure! so hmm, perhaps you cannot vote because you are actually rooting for tokio hotel?  :-D)

Well, I don't know about Janko, but as for me, yes, that refusal is meant as a kind of statement. I don't vote for that kind of thing because for me it would mean sinking to a level that I simply refuse to do. Call me pretentious, if you want.

Anyway, to the question "would i rather see a ridiculous band like tokio hotel be nominated than a good band like the cure?" all I can answer is: I just don't care. I don't care whoever MTV choses because I don't watch it. Never.

Also, the Cure are not MY FAVOURITE band. They are among my favourites, of course, and if we were back in 1989 I would possibly be able to say that they were my number one band, but as things are today, if I sort of make a summary of all the Cure have done in their career, I just don't think it is enough for them to reach the top. I mean, a band like Einstuerzende Neubauten, for instance, would probably get a higher average score for album from me.

japanesebaby

Quote from: revolt on September 05, 2008, 13:10:39
Well, I don't know about Janko, but as for me, yes, that refusal is meant as a kind of statement. I don't vote for that kind of thing because for me it would mean sinking to a level that I simply refuse to do. Call me pretentious, if you want.

my point was that if one wants to make a statement then one needs to choose a subject worth it - something like human rights or war in georgia etc. - so imo MTV simply isn't worth a statement. to me MTV is so below all possible levels of quality that it doesn't even matter whether you vote or not - it's just not going to be a statement either way. to me to say sounds like giving the whole issue way much more importance than something like MTV deserves.

Anyway, to the question "would i rather see a ridiculous band like tokio hotel be nominated than a good band like the cure?" all I can answer is: I just don't care. I don't care whoever MTV choses because I don't watch it. Never. 

then there are two of us here: i'd never watch that shit myself either. :D
(actually i don't even own a tv so i don't any tv because i don't care what's on it but hey that's another story ;)).

Also, the Cure are not MY FAVOURITE band. They are among my favourites, of course, and if we were back in 1989 I would possibly be able to say that they were my number one band, but as things are today, if I sort of make a summary of all the Cure have done in their career, I just don't think it is enough for them to reach the top. I mean, a band like Einstuerzende Neubauten, for instance, would probably get a higher average score for album from me.

alright then, no problem. bad choice of words from me there, i suppose.
anyway, like already said, nobody has to vote and i'd feel stupid if i was pushing people to vote "just because". i was just questioning the reason why - you see, i can perfectly understand you don't care to vote if you said it was because the cure isn't that important to you. i just don't think MTV deserves any statements from anyone... ;)

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on September 05, 2008, 13:26:01
my point was that if one wants to make a statement then one needs to choose a subject worth it - something like human rights or war in georgia etc. - so imo MTV simply isn't worth a statement. to me MTV is so below all possible levels of quality that it doesn't even matter whether you vote or not - it's just not going to be a statement either way. to me to say sounds like giving the whole issue way much more importance than something like MTV deserves.

You say MTV is not important and yet it seems you found this MTV-voting thing important enough for you to start a new thread. Aren't you contradicting yourself?

Anyway, it was not my intention to make a statement TO THE WORLD. Just a statement to Curefans and this particular thread. Also, that was probably not even my main motive. I was just trying to pick up another conversation with you. It worked...  :-D

Also, this might not be a nice thing to say, but as you could possibly guess, since "it doesn't matter if we all die" is one of my favourite Cure quotes, the fact is that I don't care much for either the human rights or the Georgia war issues. If humanity wishes to destroy itself, so be it, I won't stand in the way.  :twisted:

Quote from: japanesebaby on September 05, 2008, 13:26:01

alright then, no problem. bad choice of words from me there, i suppose.
anyway, like already said, nobody has to vote and i'd feel stupid if i was pushing people to vote "just because". i was just questioning the reason why - you see, i can perfectly understand you don't care to vote if you said it was because the cure isn't that important to you. i just don't think MTV deserves any statements from anyone... ;)

The Cure is important to me. I just don´t view my fan status as something akin to football club supporting or anything like that (more so because football supporters are in general the most stupid people in this stupid world). I would like to see The Cure regain general recognition because they have released a new great album, not via some MTV apperance.

One more thing: since we are both non-MTV watchers, why would we want to interfere in what MTV watchers will watch? If it is Tokio Hotel that they want, let them have it. I would not benefit anything from having The Cure perform there instead of TH whereas they would definitely lose. Since doing harm to others without benefiting yourself is not only immoral but also stupid, I don't think it is the way to go. I might be something of an immoralist sometimes, but stupid, I would like to think that I am not.

Anyway, excuse my very serious tone in the last paragraph but I thought that if I am going to waste my time participating in such an unimportant thread, I might as weel use the opportunity to say something possibly relevant.  ;)