Currently Listening to

Started by Steve, April 08, 2007, 08:56:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Dillinger

kyoto song. on my 4th cure album in a row  :lol:

japanesebaby

Quote from: farquad92 on April 15, 2007, 19:55:31
kyoto song.

hehe no offense at all of course but for me 'kyoto song' has got to be one of the most annoying cure songs ever.
the phrase structure (or should i say "structure") keyboard melody is so poor that it's almost idiotic
- it sounds like it was made by some musical moron, not by the band that... uh! :oops:
it's a bit annoying really, that they used to play it that much live!
ok sorry for rant - i suppose i should have post on the topic "songs that you HATE"  :twisted:

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Steve

Bit like the keyboard melody in The Walk then  ;)
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

japanesebaby

Quote from: Steve on April 16, 2007, 08:26:50
Bit like the keyboard melody in The Walk then  ;)

no, i think the melody in 'the walk' is actually a pretty good musical invention - and this regardless of whether or not one liked the song. the melody in 'the walk' is based on a clearly defined idea that's clearly directed somewhere. yes it might be very short but still musically it's "going somewhere". and it has a rhythmic spine that carries it onwards - now where's that on 'kyoto song'? uh, there is none... *blush*
'kyoto song' is just clumsy what comes to the overall structture of the melody/compositional use of the melodic motives:
at first it's stuck within a range of a perfect fifth, repeating one idea, then repeating the second idea that's even more narrow registrally... and there, at the very last moment possible to save it, instead of finally offering us some catch, some proof of "why we even bothered this far", what was all that opening stuff trying to take us... then it just completely fails us by making a pointless  return to the oepning motive!! that's just a silly decision altogether, there's no point in the whole thing then.
anyway, i tink it was pretty much dead from the start anyway. the opening motives are too symmetric both melodically and rhyhtmically, it gets framented and cannot ever build a melodic arch that it's pretending it's doing.
thus.

' the walk' - good work!  :smth023

'kyoto song' -  :oops: :oops: :oops:

rjl

The Walk = good work on Simon's part (well, live), playing those damned octaves perfectly every time. I can't think of a show where I've heard him flub the bassline to that.

Just had to comment, as I have a live version on right this moment....

dsanchez

"closedown". So beautiful keyboards there. So nice melodies. So sad song...It drives me crazy these days...
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Janko

Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

adam60

Tom Waits - Orphans (and on the back of that Bloodmoney and Alice)

Steve

Fields of the Nephilim: Memoriam
CLT Blue Water

Thanks Philippe  :smth023
Cheers
Steve

Steve

The Last Cry
CLT Out of the Sky.
http://www.thelastcry.com/index2.htm

Ermm.....
Drowning Man??? :-D
Cheers
Steve

japanesebaby

Quote from: Steve on April 22, 2007, 09:04:55
The Last Cry
CLT Out of the Sky.
http://www.thelastcry.com/index2.htm

Ermm.....
Drowning Man??? :-D

uhh, sorry everyone who likes them but what a dreadful piece of music!
maybe there's some general atmospheric similarity/similarity of tempo to 'the drowning man' but i have to say i wouldn't have thought about it unless it hadn't been suggested to me first. mainly because the harmonies/bass line are not at the same. even if they were more alike, i think this 'out of the sky' song would be just a perfect example for demonstrating everything that's good in 'the drowning man': 'the drowning man' is such a great song because there's such an intensity of the structure, there is an dramatic arch that gets built up and thus actually hides the fact that it's still just looping a certain passage of music anyway. do the same without the arch and you get what we have here: a sense of something just looping over and over again, without any real motivation for doing it...
ok, sorry to be harsh... but i really was getting bored to death while listening to this band...!
*sorry*

Steve

Good morning Marika.
Good to see you're up bright & early. How's the flu?
I was idly surfing earlier & I remembered them from way back in the good old days.
That's how I stumbled accross the site.
There are some interesting downloads on their site actually (if you fancy giving them a 2nd chance) ;)
By the way, have you seen the line up for the Sziget Festival in Budapest?  8)

Cheers.

Steve
Cheers
Steve

japanesebaby

Quote from: Steve on April 22, 2007, 09:49:29
Good morning Marika.
Good to see you're up bright & early. How's the flu?
I was idly surfing earlier & I remembered them from way back in the good old days.
That's how I stumbled accross the site.
There are some interesting downloads on their site actually (if you fancy giving them a 2nd chance) ;)
By the way, have you seen the line up for the Sziget Festival in Budapest?  8)

Cheers.

Steve

hi steve
uh, about the flu: let me just say if you're feeling flu-ish this week and you're still feeling flu-ish next week - then take the hint and start taking it easy well in time. i sort of didn't and now i'm on a sick-leave until may.  :?

i must have started my day a bit harshly, i guess... but i just found the song pretty dreadful...
should i give those guys another chance? or was that their last cry that i just heard...  :lol:  let's see...

(i just started a new thread in this section about the festivals, more about sziget in there)

japanesebaby

Quote from: Steve on April 08, 2007, 10:28:02
CLT

hehehe i must have been out of my mind but actually i bought that one last week. one of the local record stores had this big annual sale and i ended up buying quite a lot of things (i couldn't decide which one or two i'd buy so i had to choose the whole bunch).
i have to agree that the sound is HUGELY improved there. the old one was really really dreadful, i can hear it now.
and i can actually even enjoy some of it a bit, like'black planet', 'walk away'. anyway still i just miss the variety of songwriting/arrangements/sounds/atmospheres. i guess that's why i never really learned to recognize any SoM songs: they all just sound too much alike to me.
and one things for sure: i absolutely can not stand 'amphetamine logic'!!  :evil:
mr. eldritch's howling makes me go completely nuts, i'm afraid i have to say i don't want to hear that song ever again! :?

but i also was listening to their royal albert hall '85 show the other day and it surely had its moments, i have to admit.

Steve

Logic's a cracker (at least I like it anyhow), but I guess it's an aquired taste.
Glad to see you gave the old goffs another crack at the whip  :lol:

About time for a new studio product from them I feel.

Cheers
Steve