Here it is... the book thread!

Started by scatcat, November 30, 2007, 03:55:17

Previous topic - Next topic

scatcat

Quote from: Hero on December 10, 2007, 19:07:12
Well, I've been of school sick again today :? but its been a wonderfull excuse to read all day!
At the moment i'm reading The Problem of Pain by C.S.Lewis its a brilliant thought provoking book, its written from a Christian view point and asks why God allows people to suffer - im not religious and i dont believe in God but i still found this interesting but i think people who do believe would get more out of this.
I've nearly finished it so next im going to read
Broken Glass: A Family's Journey through Mental Illness by Robert V. Hine - it looks really good too! :)

Great to have a whole day reading in bed hero!! hope u well.  :smth001
C.S.Lewsis often wrote about the Christian values.. I have not yet read 'The Problem of Pain'..
Broken Glass sounds very interesting.. I look forward to your views on this one!  :smth020

Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Janko

Quote from: scatcat on December 10, 2007, 15:38:06
PLEASE EXPLAIN ?  love to hear a book review or two..  :smth020

NOT MUCH TO SAY
THOSE ARE THE WRITERS ANYONE SHOULD READ

CRIME AND PUNISHMENT, A FAREWELL TO ARMS, FOR WHOM THE BELLS TOLL, LES CHEMINS DE LA LIBERTE, NOTES FROM THE UNDERGROUND, NAUSEA, WOMEN, POST OFFICE, FACTOTUM, PROCES, STRANGER,  ...

THESE BOOKS ARE THE BASIC LITERATURE... IF YOU READ THOSE BOOKS YOU'LL UNDERSTAND THE WORLD MUCH BETTER!

JOURNEY TO THE END OF THE NIGHT IS A F***G BIBLE FOR ME...

CELINE IS AMAZING WRITER AND I BECAME A DIFFERENT MAN AFTER READING HIS BOOKS
BUT
IN THE LAST FEW MONTHS I TOTALLY INTO SARTRE'S ROADS TO (OF) FREEDOM TRILOGY MASTERPIECE...

YOU SEE, THOSE ARE TERRIBLY DIFFERENT WRITERS (RIGHT WING VS. LEFT WING)BUT YOU CANNOT GET THE WHOLE PICTURE OF THE HUMANITY WITHOUT THE BOTH SIDES...
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

silversand

Quote from: melly on December 11, 2007, 10:08:57
To answer your question re Stephen King... his books are as scary as your imagination will allow!!  They're not horrific, just a good read... Try one... see what you think..

Thanks for your answer melly :) I always thought that they're scary or horrific. Now i know they're not :)
Which book of Stephen King would you recommend?
Thanks for your answer in advance :)

scatcat

Quote from: silversand on December 12, 2007, 18:50:20
To answer your question re Stephen King... his books are as scary as your imagination will allow!!  They're not horrific, just a good read... Try one... see what you think..

Thanks for your answer melly :) I always thought that they're scary or horrific. Now i know they're not :)

uumm... silversand.. the only one that is not scary at all is 'The Eyes Of The Dragon', which Stephen King wrote for his children to read... there are a few that aren't so graphically scarey.. The Stand, The Dead Zone, etc.. listed above. In all instances, this genre of books really relies upon your own imagination and interpretation of what suspense is written. In my case... I can't read them anymore. On that thought though, I have not read 1408 ( the latest to be made into a movie).. so maybe others can recommend some not-so-scarey ones. I do believe however that Stephen King is a genius in his genre!!
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

robiola

silversand, if you're up for a long book, The Stand is not very horrific, like Scatcat said, and I think it's fabulous.

Janko

EVERY SINGLE ONE!
BUT DONT GET INTO DARK TOWER SERIES BECAUSE THEY WILL NEVER END!!!
SERIOUSLY!
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

Carnage Visor

I suggest a book like Night Shift that contains many stories, so you can see some different styles and get some different ideas of the kind of stuff he puts out.

NIGHT SHIFT contains classic stories that were later turned into movies, such as "The Mangler", "Children Of The Corn", and "Graveyard Shift."

I suspect more, though...a few movies seemed to have carefully ripped off some of the short stories in NIGHT SHIFT and made them into films without giving credit to Mr. King...

Hmmmmm.... :)

melly

There you go!! Lots of answers for you... That's the beauty of this place, so many people able to help out!! Just grab one, and start reading!!! Let your imagination run wild!!   Let us know what you think, won't u?? sorry if I'm slightly off topic, just didn't want silversand to think I wasn't going to reply!   :smth023
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

scatcat

Quote from: Janko on December 11, 2007, 14:44:00

THESE BOOKS ARE THE BASIC LITERATURE... IF YOU READ THOSE BOOKS YOU'LL UNDERSTAND THE WORLD MUCH BETTER!

JOURNEY TO THE END OF THE NIGHT IS A F***G BIBLE FOR ME...

CELINE IS AMAZING WRITER AND I BECAME A DIFFERENT MAN AFTER READING HIS BOOKS
BUT
IN THE LAST FEW MONTHS I TOTALLY INTO SARTRE'S ROADS TO (OF) FREEDOM TRILOGY MASTERPIECE...

YOU SEE, THOSE ARE TERRIBLY DIFFERENT WRITERS (RIGHT WING VS. LEFT WING)BUT YOU CANNOT GET THE WHOLE PICTURE OF THE HUMANITY WITHOUT THE BOTH SIDES...

thanks JANKO!!   I read a review of Celine's Journey to the end of the night it sounds like an extraordinary book.. and it will be the next book on my list!!  ;)
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Carnage Visor

I actually really want to read Alice In Wonderland, but not online. I can't really get into it when I'm online, because there's always the distraction of wanting to download music and all...

I want an original copy with art by John Tenniel (or whatever his name is), that seems to be the best art I've seen for that book.

NIGHT SHIFT is great, just finished reading Children Of The Corn and don't know where to go...happy reading, guys!  :smth001

kissingcrimson

"The war of Don Emanuel's nether parts", Louis De Bernieres

cochadebago de los gatos!
'I'm in a carefully careless mess'

Hero

I've just read Steve & Me by Terri Irwin (I was a Crocodile Hunter fan  :rocker)
It was quite sad near the end though... a few tears but it was a nice book full of adventures and crocodiles! Long live Steve Irwin!

CV ~ Alice in Wonderland is brilliant, Lewis Carroll is my favourite author!

silversand

Thank you so much scatcat, robiola, Janko, Carnage Visor and melly for your help :)
You are all great  :smth023
Now i know which book of Stephen King i will buy  :)

robiola

Quote from: silversand on December 17, 2007, 22:26:01
Thank you so much scatcat, robiola, Janko, Carnage Visor and melly for your help :)
You are all great  :smth023
Now i know which book of Stephen King i will buy  :)

Let us know how it goes!

Carnage Visor

Any time!

Any way I can help, I'll do it!

And yes, my adaption of ALICE is quite odd, I'm not even following the book very closely. The Mad Tea Party and the falling down the hole are in tact, but in my version the Tea Party is towards the beginning.

I've also changed some characters and scenes. Alice is now in the forest, and she meets the Cheshire Cat, who begins to pet her. It's stupid, but I laughed at the thought of a cat petting a person. It's like the "Backwards Russia" jokes that Yakov Smirnoff tells...

Oh, and Alice in my story is 16 and a bit more witty and obnoxious than her original counterpart. I may be butchering a great book, but it's just for the school Newspaper, after all.