2018.06.24 London, Royal Festival Hall 'Meltdown Festival'

Started by dsanchez, April 10, 2018, 14:38:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

Quote from: g_erman on June 25, 2018, 11:25:29
Anyway, I just do not blame or point out the band.

:D
Oh yes, you do:

a Cure covering The Cure gig. Current line-up is the nastiest ever. Reeves Gabrels doesn't fit in...
Roger ...unbearable

But that's okay, we can live with that.
Can you elaborate a bit what exactly was so bad about FTEOTDGS or SDS? Wrong notes, wrong tempo?
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

dsanchez

Some photos from yesterday...

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Quote from: Ulrich on June 25, 2018, 11:56:16
Can you elaborate a bit what exactly was so bad about FTEOTDGS or SDS? Wrong notes, wrong tempo?

I can imagine he means Reeve's signature "rock" sound, e.g. below from 2m20s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo49XCO85Hg

Specially when you compare to THIS (from 3m10s)

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

In Sequence

I thought was all going super-great until High.... which I didn't expect to hear. Then wasn't so super-great until they worked their way backwards again and it picked up from from Disintegration to the end.... Clearly I'm just not a fan of the newer stuff.

Ulrich

Thanks for sharing your impression, InSequence!

@dsanchez: if he'd meant that, he could've said it. It would be bad if Reeves did not have his own style (especially for a guitar solo!), because then it would be more like a cover band...

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

g_erman

Quote from: Ulrich on June 25, 2018, 11:56:16
Anyway, I just do not blame or point out the band.

:D
Oh yes, you do:

a Cure covering The Cure gig. Current line-up is the nastiest ever. Reeves Gabrels doesn't fit in...
Roger ...unbearable

But that's okay, we can live with that.

No, I really cannot say exactly what was so bad about those songs (and others). It's just a feeling. A perception. There's nothing stronger than that. Words are useless when the perception system works fine. But I can say that Roger keys are unbearable. He plays more than what's needed, his horrible sound is too loud and at the front of the mix. And Reeves does not fit in The Cure. Which does not mean he's a bad guitar player. He's a very good one. But The Cure's not Tin Machine. Adrian Belew or Robert Fripp (maybe my most fave guitar players along with Pearl) would not fit in The Cure. A trio Robert, Simon and Jason would be a much better line-up than this tired and tiring quintet. We don't need a fat and loud sound any longer. I'd love to hear a sensitive band, truly emotional. Not what they become. And when I say I do not blame the band, I mean that I know this is MY perception of things. Having seen the band playing live for more than three decades, I know when a live version it's not a very happy one. And there's no point in justify a feeling. FTEOTDGS was atrocious. And that song, under my point of view, was conceived to be played live. With Pearl, naturally. Pearl is truly missed. And she will always be. You cannot replace her as you cannot replace Simon. You need to change the formula.

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Good to see/hear him. He seems very happy with his Meltdown"!  :smth023