2018.07.07 London, Hyde Park (England) "British Summer Time"

Started by Ulrich, December 12, 2017, 09:44:08

Previous topic - Next topic

PearlThompsonsBloodflower

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

cheyler

I'm afraid my cynicism is welling up inside me again...  One show in Hyde Park, loads of other bands, a two-hour festival set intended, ostensibly, to do justice to 40 years of music, in front of 500,000 fans (give or take), hit-and-run and a massive payday at the end for doing about half a gig.  Whatever interest I may have had is gone.  Nice work if you can get it...

Ulrich

Quote from: cheyler on January 14, 2018, 03:44:21
One show in Hyde Park, loads of other bands, a two-hour festival set intended

Well, I said right from the start that 120 minutes seems relatively "short" for The Cure!
The good thing is: the other bands are good or interesting (at least).  :)
(However, if you're on your feet for all of them, you'll be happy the Cure will "only" play 2 hours...)

Quote from: cheyler on January 14, 2018, 03:44:21a massive payday at the end for doing about half a gig.

How much is their payday?  :?
When I saw them in 2016, they played for two and a half hours. That was part of a tour with lots of concerts, so I would guess the pay was "massive". Thus I would guess Hyde Park's not about the money... (they could do a festival tour playing "greatest hits" for 1,5 hours if they wanted that).
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

dsanchez

I'm afraid my cynicism is welling up inside me again...  One show in Hyde Park, loads of other bands, a two-hour festival set intended, ostensibly, to do justice to 40 years of music, in front of 500,000 fans (give or take), hit-and-run and a massive payday at the end for doing about half a gig.  Whatever interest I may have had is gone.  Nice work if you can get it...

Only European show, but you can bet there will be US shows also. They play more in the US than they do in Europe anyway.

And seeing Slowdive & The Cure in the same night is priceless... for all the rest there's Mastercard :P
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

cheyler

Quote from: Ulrich on January 14, 2018, 10:39:45
One show in Hyde Park, loads of other bands, a two-hour festival set intended

Well, I said right from the start that 120 minutes seems relatively "short" for The Cure!
The good thing is: the other bands are good or interesting (at least).  :)
(However, if you're on your feet for all of them, you'll be happy the Cure will "only" play 2 hours...)

Quote from: cheyler on January 14, 2018, 03:44:21a massive payday at the end for doing about half a gig.

How much is their payday?  :?
When I saw them in 2016, they played for two and a half hours. That was part of a tour with lots of concerts, so I would guess the pay was "massive". Thus I would guess Hyde Park's not about the money... (they could do a festival tour playing "greatest hits" for 1,5 hours if they wanted that).
Like in 2012/13/14?

No idea about the size of the payday, but it's in the millions, has to be.  I don't begrudge them a dime, they deserve every penny and well done them!

cheyler

Quote from: dsanchez on January 14, 2018, 12:43:50

Only European show, but you can bet there will be US shows also. They play more in the US than they do in Europe anyway.

And seeing Slowdive & The Cure in the same night is priceless... for all the rest there's Mastercard :P

I hear the 'Only European Show' line and have to wonder.  There wouldn't be another U.S. tour in the offing.  They'll never play Washington State again after last year's Sasquatch nightmare, and they gave up on Seattle more than 20 years ago.  I think Toronto gets a 40th Anniversary show too.  I'm calling it right here and now.  Toronto will be the next gig they announce.

Ulrich

Quote from: cheyler on January 14, 2018, 19:09:34
No idea about the size of the payday, but it's in the millions, has to be. 

For one show? I don't think so.
I can imagine the payday for a big tour like 2016 will go into millions... (but they have to pay road crew and drivers and so on).
Here's attendance and gross sales for 2016, draw your own conclusions:
http://craigjparker.blogspot.de/2016/05/cure-tour-2016-attendance-and-gross.html

http://craigjparker.blogspot.de/2017/01/cure-tour-2016-stats.html

Ulrich

Quote from: cheyler on January 14, 2018, 19:13:26
I hear the 'Only European Show' line and have to wonder.  There wouldn't be another U.S. tour

Probably not, more like one special show (or two?) to celebrate the anniversary (maybe in L.A. with Lol joining in)? We'll have to wait and see...

lacrima mosa

Quote from: dsanchez on December 21, 2017, 11:03:38
By the way, as most fans will be in London from the day before, we will be, hopefully, organizing a Curefans dinner on 6th July. Watch this topic for further updates ;)

i will have a meeting with roger waters that night... bought tickets for friday AND saturday! ;-)
will you be there david?
08.10.2022 Helsinki
10.10.2022 Stockholm
12.10.2022 Oslo
13.10.2022 Göteborg
14.10.2022 Kopenhagen
16.10.2022 Hamburg
17.10.2022 Leipzig
18.10.2022 Berlin
18.11.2022 Strassburg
19.11.2022 Basel

dsanchez

Quote from: lacrima mosa on January 15, 2018, 19:13:02
Quote from: dsanchez on December 21, 2017, 11:03:38
By the way, as most fans will be in London from the day before, we will be, hopefully, organizing a Curefans dinner on 6th July. Watch this topic for further updates ;)

i will have a meeting with roger waters that night... bought tickets for friday AND saturday! ;-)
will you be there david?

I will be there, can't miss this. See you there!
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

cheyler

Does anyone know anything about the park and how it's set up for concerts?  Have there been shows there with 500,000 people?  How can they have huge concerts there three days in a row, cleaning everything after even one huge event must take a long time.

Ulrich

Quote from: cheyler on January 16, 2018, 20:59:20
Does anyone know anything about the park and how it's set up for concerts?  ... How can they have huge concerts there three days in a row

I think there were 3 days of concerts too when I saw The Cure there back in July 2002!
Hyde Park is huge, so there is only a part of it which is used for the concerts. The rest of the park is still accessible for people to do what they do in a park (taking a walk, row a boat on the lake...).

For more info, look here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_concerts_in_Hyde_Park
QuoteHyde Park in London, England, has been an important venue for rock music concerts since the late 1960s. The music management company Blackhill Enterprises held the first rock concert there on 29 June 1968, attended by 15,000 people. On the bill were Pink Floyd, Roy Harper and Jethro Tull. The supergroup Blind Faith (featuring Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood) played their debut gig in Hyde Park on 7 June 1969. The Rolling Stones headlined a concert (later released as The Stones in the Park) on 5 July that year, two days after the death of founding member Brian Jones, and is now remembered as one of the most famous gigs of the 1960s.

The park has also played host to many music festivals, including Party in the Park between 1998 and 2004, The Wireless Festival between 2005 and 2012, Hard Rock Calling between 2006 and 2012, Radio 2 Live in Hyde Park since 2011 and Barclaycard presents British Summer Time since 2013.

Of course, after the events, the grass won't look nice and there's been complaints in the past.
http://archive.westendextra.com/news/2012/sep/residents-group-says-live-concerts-have-left-hyde-park-looking-wasteland
"As per previous years, following the concert series in Hyde Park, the Parade Ground will be restored to its previous condition. The Royal Parks team at Hyde Park has extensive park management experience and are experts in planning for large events and restoring the grounds effectively and to a high standard."

Ulrich