MUSE - HAARP (live in wembley '07)

Started by japanesebaby, April 15, 2008, 19:34:31

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

mmmmmmmm looks like it's christmas today:

MUSE - H.A.A.R.P. live in wembley 2007.06.16/17 (CD + DVD)  :)

CTL: 'take a bow'  :shock: :eek:  :P :smth035  :rocker

:D :D :D

by the way, this IS a really good live/soundboard!
haven't checked out the dvd just yet...

'a making of' downloadable from here: http://musehaarp.warnerreprise.com/
(kind of funny to see how they got to crawl/be literally "towed" underneath the stage structures in order to get onto that platform in the middle of the audience :lol:)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

crowbi_wan

I've been listening to HAARP in the car during the past two days and am just now getting to the DVD.  The sound is phenomenal  :smth020  Though the CD picks up some screaming girl in the crowd that just bugs the piss out of me.  But hey, it's nice to know that even the pros can't escape the screamers  :lol:

CLT (watching) - New Born  :rocker 

crowbi_wan

Quote from: japanesebaby on April 15, 2008, 10:15:16
i was on in a competition to win tickets for the gig up until the last minute but wasn't among the lucky ones. damn!

Really? What a coinicedence.  So was I!  A local radio station gives away a concert trip a week.  Listeners can qualify during the week and then one name is drawn and announced.  That person then has 10 minutes and 77 seconds (the station is 107.7) to call in and claim their prize.  I was a qualifier, but not a winner  :(  How cool would it have been to meet up for that gig?  Seems it wasn't in the cards. 

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wan on April 15, 2008, 20:47:49
How cool would it have been to meet up for that gig?  Seems it wasn't in the cards. 

that would have been something! better luck next time for both, i hope.

QuoteMUSE  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1BBiWfmql0  H.A.A.R.P. - New Born
some great shots in the footage there, like that singing black dude with a megadeth t-shirt around 3:37 :-D :rocker)

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wan on April 15, 2008, 20:41:26
The sound is phenomenal  :smth020  Though the CD picks up some screaming girl in the crowd that just bugs the piss out of me.  But hey, it's nice to know that even the pros can't escape the screamers  :lol:

i was first kind of bothered by it (the screamers), then i started to feel like it was adding to the atmosphere in a positive way (they aren't really THAT loud i think, nothing like that certain blue-haired girl :P).
i think i have two-fold attitude towards it: on the other hand it's a bit annoying. because you'll always hear the same screams in the same spot and thus it's not "live" crowd noise but something "frozen" - that's the reason babbling etc. on live recordings is so annoying.
but on the other hand i also kind of hate official live recordings/soundboards that are too "clean". they sound just way too hygienic and like the band was playing to an empty venue. so maybe i don't really mind that much. (or maybe i do? i guess i'm not sure!)

anyway, considering there were something like almost 70 000 people there on wembley, i sort of like it that you can hear them. like the crowd singing in the beginning of 'knights of cydonia' - that's just pretty cool. you somehow get a sense of that it's not just 200 or 2000 people out there but a bit more... 8)

crowbi_wan

Quote from: japanesebaby on April 16, 2008, 22:34:27
Quote from: crowbi_wan on April 15, 2008, 20:41:26
The sound is phenomenal  :smth020  Though the CD picks up some screaming girl in the crowd that just bugs the piss out of me.  But hey, it's nice to know that even the pros can't escape the screamers  :lol:

i was first kind of bothered by it (the screamers), then i started to feel like it was adding to the atmosphere in a positive way (they aren't really THAT loud i think, nothing like that certain blue-haired girl :P).
i think i have two-fold attitude towards it: on the other hand it's a bit annoying. because you'll always hear the same screams in the same spot and thus it's not "live" crowd noise but something "frozen" - that's the reason babbling etc. on live recordings is so annoying.
but on the other hand i also kind of hate official live recordings/soundboards that are too "clean". they sound just way too hygienic and like the band was playing to an empty venue. so maybe i don't really mind that much. (or maybe i do? i guess i'm not sure!)

anyway, considering there were something like almost 70 000 people there on wembley, i sort of like it that you can hear them. like the crowd singing in the beginning of 'knights of cydonia' - that's just pretty cool. you somehow get a sense of that it's not just 200 or 2000 people out there but a bit more... 8)

Don't get me wrong, because I do like the crowd noise mixed in the way it is.  You pointed out the singing along during 'Knights' and fists in the air which was very cool.  :rocker  There's also some times where fans clapping along  and such just add to the sound, making it "live" and really giving the listener an understanding of what it was like being at Wembley.  The same can be said for those screamers, but I still find those high pitched squeals annoying...just like I would if I was there.  Maybe I've just turned into a bitter old man  :P

Quote from: japanesebaby on April 16, 2008, 07:25:33

QuoteMUSE  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1BBiWfmql0  H.A.A.R.P. - New Born
some great shots in the footage there, like that singing black dude with a megadeth t-shirt around 3:37 :-D :rocker)

:)

My favorite is the lightsaber wielding fan seen during 'Kinghts of Cydonia' at 2:50 and 5:00  :lol:

japanesebaby

hehe i was here, in this pogo pit: :P

(from 'new born', around 5:30)
i'm not sure which one of those tiny bouncing dots is me but i'm certainly one of them, it's guaranteed. :-D

i watched about two thirds of the dvd now and i have to say i like it a lot more than i expected in advance. :D i was certainly expecting great stuff on the CD but wasn't sure how i'd like the look of the dvd, the way it's directed/cut/edited. but despite the fast tempo i think it's luckily not "MTV-ish". i think it's pretty impressive production, really. it does manage to capture an amazing array of lovely details without losing the sense of everything being on a really grand scale. it's a good balance i think. and i really like how they've taken some time to look for all kinds of details from the audience and how they do show the audience reactions - that's really vital, for a good live dvd.
and it's really good that they did keep the audio in PCM this time. :smth023 for instance by comparison the otherwise pretty marvellous 'hullabaloo' dvd was utterly ruined because of a crappy 128 kb/s soundtrack. :?

(btw the good old tim kirk is mentioned as producer but did he direct this too? not sure actually, strangely it's not stated in the credits or on wiki either. or maybe i'm blind(?).
anyway, i always liked the stuff that tim kirk did for muse. he's a sharp director with a good eye!)

coxoxi

awwwwwww dunno what to say... love to see here that someone here likes Muse and that you're that person japanesebaby  :D
:smth006