Author Topic: Cured: Tale of Two Imaginary Boys (book by L. Tolhurst)  (Read 8086 times)

Offline Ulrich

• Staff Member
  • Curefan Master
Re: Cured: Tale of Two Imaginary Boys (book by L. Tolhurst)
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2017, 12:07:03 »
Ireland (+ England) dates added for July.

https://www.hotpress.com/news/The-Cure-drummer-to-bring-book-tour-to-Ireland/20244799.html

("Drummer", well that's not wrong, but...)
but memory's not life... and it's not love.

Offline Ulrich

• Staff Member
  • Curefan Master
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2017, 13:18:28 »
New article/interview in the "Irish Times"!  :smth023

Considering The Cure sold more than 30 million albums, it was inevitable someone in their inner circle would eventually write a memoir to counter a slew of tacky cut-and-paste biogs.

Former keyboardist, drummer and founding member Lol Tolhurst has penned Cured: A Tale of Two Imaginary Boys; one of the most honest and moving music books of recent years. It candidly chronicles The Cure’s emergence from the grey gloom of Crawley in West Sussex during the Thatcher years to blossom into one of the biggest bands in the world.

Tolhurst began writing the book after singer Robert Smith claimed he didn’t feel up to the task.

“A few years ago, I asked Robert if he was ever going to write a book about the band,” Tolhurst recalls. “Robert joked that he might do a 16-page comic, but he didn’t have enough for a book. He never objected to me writing it because, while I know where the bodies are buried, I’m not going to sully the reputation of the band for the benefit of my own ego. I hate it when some memoirs and autobiographies turn into score-settling exercises.

“I gave Robert the first copy of Cured... last year. If there was anything at all in it he didn’t like, I’d have heard from him the very next day.”

“After every single book event I do, I get at least one or two people coming up and telling me Cured... really helped them,” says Tolhurst. “This is incredibly flattering, obviously, but also very, very humbling. People need to be recognised. When I first became aware of my issues with alcohol, I just thought I was going mad. A music rehab facility in Detroit has made Cured... required reading, which totally blows my mind.
Read more at:
http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/surviving-the-cure-lol-tolhurst-on-life-in-the-original-goth-band-1.3150725

And another one:
https://www.hotpress.com/The-Cure/features/interviews/The-Cures-Lol-Tolhurst-bares-all-ahead-of-an-extensive-book-tour-in-Ireland/20384556.html

“My main reason was to explain my life to myself, but halfway through it, it appeared to me that the thing that makes any memoir or autobiography worth reading is that you feel the person and you feel the honesty, right? So that’s what I wanted to convey. So far, the reaction’s been very good and I feel very blessed with that.”

Are they in regular contact?

“Yes, absolutely,” he says. “The people that I grew up with like Mike Dempsey, Robert, Simon Gallup, Porl Thompson, those are my teenage friends. I stay in touch with them all the time. In fact Porl lives out here now, he’s about half-an-hour’s drive from me.”

Any other projects on the horizon?

“I’m going do more with Levinhurst (the band he formed with wife Cindy Levinson) this year,” he says. “The last two years the book has totally taken over my life. I haven’t been up to anything except that. Also, I’m thinking of doing my own radio show. If Steve Jones can do it so can I!” Lol also recently tweeted about another writing project, with the working title Cured Part 2.

“There will actually be two more books,” he smiles. “One is a sequel – I don’t want to give too much away. It’s a little different. The other one is a graphic novel that I’m going to do with Porl because he’s such a great artist. So there are two on the horizon but it won’t be for a while.”

Lol Tolhurst will visit the Roisin Dubh, Galway (July 16); Crane Lane, Cork (19); Dolan’s, Limerick (21); Boneyard Records, Omagh (22), Boyle Arts Festival (24) and Whelan’s, Dublin (25) as part of his Irish book tour.

Offline Ulrich

• Staff Member
  • Curefan Master
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2017, 14:34:45 »
https://www.buzz.ie/music/interview-ex-cure-man-lol-tolhurst-new-memoir-cured-246777
As for the modern life is rubbish theory, Tolhurst says older music listeners just get lazy: "I really dislike when people say there is no good music around anyone. If you think that you are not looking hard enough or you are maybe even to old to look.

"I am kinda lucky though I am also able to listen to stuff my son Gray tells me about. Recently I have been listening to Broadcast and Caribou.”

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/artsfilmtv/something-had-to-break-and-it-was-me-455029.html
Writing about the ill-fated decision to sue Smith and record label Fiction for a greater cut of royalties and co-ownership of the band’s name is one such moment of exposure. In hindsight, Tolhurst admits that pursuing the case, which dragged on for much of the 90s, was connected to his deep sense of hurt at having been expelled from the band.

“It was partially a relief, but there was a lot of sadness with it as well,” he says of leaving the band. “I felt expelled from my family.”

Offline dsanchez

• Administrator
  • Curefan Master
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2017, 20:57:23 »
This reminds me I need to buy the book... :roll:
2016.10.17 Hamburg
2016.10.18 Berlin
2016.10.22 Praha
2016.10.26 Wien
2016.10.29 Bologna
2016.11.10 Köln

Offline Ulrich

• Staff Member
  • Curefan Master
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2017, 08:44:57 »
This reminds me I need to buy the book... :roll:

Better late than never, huh?  ;)