Signatures and images inside posts

Started by dsanchez, January 25, 2008, 16:54:56

Previous topic - Next topic

iwannashagsimon

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 26, 2008, 09:21:44
Quote from: iwannashagsimon on January 26, 2008, 08:28:27
Yeah, but my avi's got many Simons in it. :smth023

do you mean you can't use it as an avatar because the file is too big and it's rejected?

No, I mean as in my avatar has 3 Simon's in it.  I call it my avi for short. :-D

iwannashagsimon

Quote from: rubcure on January 26, 2008, 08:41:33

P.S. iwannashagsimon You are really in love of Simon.  :D

Love?  Ah.....lust more likely. ;)

scatcat

@iwannashagsimon... PLEASE don't change it!! Now that I can see animations, I am entranced and love it even more.. call it lust if u may  ..  :oops: :smth049
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

japanesebaby

Quote from: iwannashagsimon on January 26, 2008, 14:32:43
Quote from: japanesebaby on January 26, 2008, 09:21:44
Quote from: iwannashagsimon on January 26, 2008, 08:28:27
Yeah, but my avi's got many Simons in it. :smth023

do you mean you can't use it as an avatar because the file is too big and it's rejected?

No, I mean as in my avatar has 3 Simon's in it.  I call it my avi for short. :-D

ok... but then i don't see what the problem with using your signature animation as your avatar might be? :?:
just try it the way david suggested...?

and seriously guys: hey i also admit i'm very attached to my avatar too, i've had it for the longest time here. i don't feel like changing it. but lately i've even considered removing the animation from it because i do know some people with slow connections find moving images really annoying because it does seriously slow down loading the pages. so i'd have no problem taking mine down if it helped someone to view the site better. so i don't think i or david or anyone wants to be a bunch of "let's forbid this or that!" sort of smartass here or anything, but we just do think our purpose is to offer interesting forum/interesting reading to all our users, that's where the priorities are. and at least i know that if i had to be on a really slow connection, i'd certainly find it really annoying if i had to wait every single page to load for a longer time JUST because of some repeated images like avatars, signatures etc.. if i had to wait because of something in the true message content, then it's different. but these things really don't add anything to the forum/message content.

so i'd just ask everyone to consider this viewpoint too, before getting overly emotional over something here.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

japanesebaby

just trying to find some solutions for everyone here...:

one solution for people very fond of posting pics: why not open up a curefans blog for it?  :smth023
i think that is a a good way to enhance your profile here, to focus on your particular interests (because after all, there's nothing wrong with that for sure :)).
then post a link to your blog as your signature, add a hint there whenever you've done updates!

then nobody had to feel being limited/confined here on the forum but at the same time we could keep the forum more readable and free from lots of unnecessary and repeated images. 
how about that?  :D

besides, i think it would be cool if more people would start using the blog option anyway - we could really develop this and create more community-like atmosphere in the blog section too.
check it out!

http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,3304.0.html
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

dsanchez

I'm with Marika in all what she wrote.

I found an interesting opinion from a non-cure related about signatures, to take in consideration. I highlight the things which I agree with ;)

"Don't you guys think the signatures are getting out of hand? Everyone and their mother, dog, and cat has one. When you scroll through a thread, sometimes the signatures take up more lines/space on the screen than the actual messages. And then there are those annoying signatures with pictures and big ugly banners. I'm on a 1280x1024 screen and they're huge. At 1440x1050 it's not so bad.

And the signatures are all lame. No offense to anyone specifically as I don't really pay much attention to them or who has them....But, who gives a rat's arse what iPod you have and what song you're playing and what your PC is and what your Mac is and what OS you're running and what CPU is and how much memory you have and how big your hard drive is and what kind of monitor you have and what your middle name is and where you were born and what you do for a living and what school you go to and what case you have your ipod in and what headphones you use and what color your case is and what other accessories you have and what games you play and how many songs you have and how many days that is and how long you can play all your great songs until you reach the end."
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

scatcat

"Just turn them off in the prefs. Be annoyed no more."

a quote from the link you posted David. .. If it is the way, then do it.

Quote from: dsanchez on January 26, 2008, 15:47:25

"Don't you guys think the signatures are getting out of hand? Everyone and their mother, dog, and cat has one. When you scroll through a thread, sometimes the signatures take up more lines/space on the screen than the actual messages. And then there are those annoying signatures with pictures and big ugly banners. I'm on a 1280x1024 screen and they're huge. At 1440x1050 it's not so bad.

And the signatures are all lame. No offense to anyone specifically as I don't really pay much attention to them or who has them....But, who gives a rat's arse what iPod you have and what song you're playing and what your PC is and what your Mac is and what OS you're running and what CPU is and how much memory you have and how big your hard drive is and what kind of monitor you have and what your middle name is and where you were born and what you do for a living and what school you go to and what case you have your ipod in and what headphones you use and what color your case is and what other accessories you have and what games you play and how many songs you have and how many days that is and how long you can play all your great songs until you reach the end."

the rest I find a bit offensive, I'm not sure if this is your attitude ? or a quote from the same source?

"rat's arse" ??

I do not aplogise for the fact that I find this updated content of this split subject a bit worrying.

I agree with marika that maybe it would be more useful to utilise the " blog" option available, but for some, advertising oneself is just not an option.

I speak here only in my own experience, that a blog about myself is the last thing I could do, not only for the skills required, but also, a breach of confidentiality as well as privacy.

I agree on the point that the bigger the banner, or picture uploaded to the forum creates delays. Fortunately I have a broadband connection, but still find this site down often.

I cannot understand what is the intention of this topic?  :smth100

Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

scatcat

Quote from: dsanchez on January 26, 2008, 15:47:25

sometimes the signatures take up more lines/space on the screen than the actual messages. And then there are those annoying signatures with pictures and big ugly banners.

David, apologies..  I finally read your post through again.. sorry... I am not really concentrating. I see the fact that you have underlined the post that you feel aligned with. I am sorry if I misinterpreted this.. ( I find it extremely hard to read long posts without the words blurring!!  :smth023)
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

crowbi_wan

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 26, 2008, 14:56:03
i think it would be cool if more people would start using the blog option anyway - we could really develop this and create more community-like atmosphere in the blog section too.
check it out!

http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,3304.0.html

:smth023

I've been meaning to get my blog up and running.  Not trying to copy you or anything, but something similar to what you and lacrima mosa are doing is what I have in mind.  Posting about shows you've seen is pretty interesting and also a great way to hear about bands that maybe you never knew of.  Of course now I'm not seeing much as I don't want to get burnt out before The Cure's tour  :roll:  Though I guess this should open up some free time to blog.  Yeah, blog baby blog  :-D 

iwannashagsimon

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 26, 2008, 14:42:21

ok... but then i don't see what the problem with using your signature animation as your avatar might be? :?:

There's no problem.  I just don't want to.

scatcat

In regards to the "blog" section of the Curefans forum, it is difficult to find, unless using the 'search' option.
Maybe this 'blog' function ( which really hasn't been updated by those who currently have blogs), could be easier and more visible from the heading options, E.G. where we can find the Gallery, Calendar, Map etc.. ?
just a thought.
It may just streamline acces to this option, and increase interest?
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Steve

Good point Lara
I am, however, of the opinion that the signatures do get a little OTT at times.
I think that the posts should do the talking really.
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

scatcat

:smth023  I do agree on this . some can take up more space than what the content of the post does. OTT .

so are you gonna shrink yours down to 2 lines, ? hmmm :smth020

Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Carnage Visor

Well thanks...I work really hard on my banners. Great to know they're "Ugly" and "crap"...

Everyone has their own way of expressing themselves. You could have gotten your point across a bit better without insulting people's taste. I liked my Kate Bush banner, thank you, and I think it expressed alot of what I am...a gentle person.

I understand that it can be a neusance to have the photos cloggign up bandwidth, but to trash talk us about it, is just unfair.

I had no idea it was angering anyone. If you guys had told me earlier, I would have taken it off and replaced it with a boring quote or something.

I never like causing controversy...

robiola

Quote from: Carnage Visor on January 26, 2008, 19:26:36
Well thanks...I work really hard on my banners. Great to know they're "Ugly" and "crap"...

Oh, come on now, david was quoting someone else's opinion on signatures from another forum, if I understood correctly. Nobody was referring specifically to your banner as "ugly" and "crap". Don't get mad. :smth062 :smth039