Main Menu

Started by Steve, October 11, 2007, 08:50:26

Previous topic - Next topic

scatcat

by definition: smite: Strike, hit, chastise,have sudden effect on, strike or seize or infect or possess with disease or desire or emotion. Come forcibly or abruptly. Blow, strike attempt.

this is the English definition and personal meaning of the word "smite" . It is as clear as this.... :shock:
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Steve

@j
You already got an applause from me, so you'll need to wait another 10 hours  ;)

But, I see the point & it's a really nice touch actually.
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

j

Thanks Steve.  In reference to the smite definition, I think that the terminology applaud and smite are default "words" used by the forum software.  I could be wrong about that, though.  Maybe we could change it to "shove it up your ass" or "go f yourself" :-D :lol:

CureCrusader

Quote from: j on October 11, 2007, 12:43:10
Thanks Steve.  In reference to the smite definition, I think that the terminology applaud and smite are default "words" used by the forum software.  I could be wrong about that, though.  Maybe we could change it to "shove it up your ass" or "go f yourself" :-D :lol:

I agree!! Smite is way toooooooooooooo harsh!! (please don't "shove it up my ass" or tell me to " go f myself"()
Who am I? Who are you? Is this world what we percieve it to be? Do we even exist?

gioez

I think this feature is just a light "joke", a little nice idea. Why someone is offended by this? Isn't a school report card and I suppose nobody will be successful student or failed.  ;)
[move][b][glow=red,6,28]100 Years[/glow][/b][/move]

japanesebaby

Quote from: j on October 11, 2007, 12:24:54
This is a feature that is used on many forums.  The idea behind it is to reward good, meaningful posts, and "punish" meaningless or ill-spirited posts.

For example:

1.  I post a link to a show I've uploaded....click on applaud for me.  Brent Graham posts those links all over the interet, click smite for him.

2.  A member posts asking a question in the technical forum regarding seeding torrents.  Another member answers the question and helps the person out.  The original poster should click applaud.  If another member types a smart ass remark, click smite.

It is a way to NOT have this site sink to the depths of the other Cure related forums out there.  It is not a mechanism to hook up your friends; rather it is the mechanism that is needed to keep this forum up to the standards that we have all come to expect and desire.

thanks jeff for putting it up so much more clearly than i ever could have.  :smth023

as we're not on AOL live chat here but on a forum that has set some standards for what comes to the content/informativeness, then i think we can try and learnt to use this feature in a sophisticated way, like jeff suggested.

(and about default words: i think they can be changed to something else if we see it fit.)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

CureCrusader

If this karma thing don't work out maybe it could get deleted???   :!:
Who am I? Who are you? Is this world what we percieve it to be? Do we even exist?

japanesebaby

Quote from: CureCrusader on October 11, 2007, 13:02:56
If this karma thing don't work out maybe it could get deleted???   :!:

naturally. it's just a test at the moment, so let us see if it works.

and whereas we should try to use the feature wisely, i also think it shouldn't affect people too much, really. i mean look, i can see i mentioned a metaphor about AOL live chat a few inutes ago and some people probably found this annoying and so i'm already down a few nothces.  ;) but hey so what? because i didn't say that to annoy anyone in particular, i was just speaking what was in my mind. so i mean, people should not be too afraid to say something just because they feared they might be getting bad karma from someone - or try to compete in getting good karma either.
we're not rating people here. and if we're rating something, then we're rating the content of the posts. not the people themselves. but one doesn't have to see it as if we were directly rating anything at all.

all i'm saying is that it might become a problem if people don't speak their mind because they fear someone will disagree and smite then. because in my opinion, healthy debates belong to forums, they keep the conversation up. but i do mean healthy debates. we are a large community so there will always be people who will disagree with you about something. so i'd suggest that people shouldn't get so upset so easily.
so let's just take it easy and see how we will do here. let's just not be aggressive towards each other but wait and see things out a bit first.
:smth001
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

ROGUE

Well it is annonomous, so who knows what will actually motivate people ?

and why not just be helpful for the sake of it ?
Do we need motivation to be helpful for the sake of a 'karma' ?
We grow to know people and learn from experience, this is a bit strange? And being annonomous could be nasty, and invalid to the meaning of good and bad(+ or -) that was posted above.

People will be judged on this number you realise  :smth011

Noone will ever know why anyone has voted or not,

doesnt make sense, at all.

and doesnt seem welcoming, or free to express ourselfs- Some will fear the minus.

Iam still striving for it, Really- means nothing,

The whole idea is offensive to me.
still just my opinion.  Thank you

edit~ no aggression intended, have sent many msg's - so Jb i like you- But in the idea of debates i agree- That is why iam expressing my feelings.
thanx again

Steve

Quote from: gioez on October 11, 2007, 12:48:50
I think this feature is just a light "joke", a little nice idea. Why someone is offended by this? Isn't a school report card and I suppose nobody will be successful student or failed.  ;)

Like I said earlier gioez many people, many opinions, one passion in common.
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

ROGUE

Well at school you know the teacher and reason for remarks,

not just invalid + & -  on a page.

cheers,  interesting comment, still feel the same

(shove it up my bum if you want,  :lol: )

gioez

Quote from: ROGUE on October 11, 2007, 13:22:06
Well at school you know the teacher and reason for remarks,

not just invalid + & -  on a page.

cheers,  interesting comment, still feel the same

(shove it up my xxx if you want,  :lol: )

If you read well, I said "Isn't a school report"... it's just a frivolous feature.
[move][b][glow=red,6,28]100 Years[/glow][/b][/move]

dsanchez

Quote from: ROGUE on October 11, 2007, 11:32:19
I just dont like it, maybe other people will, but it takes away alot of equality, and purity, with this rating or de-rating system-

Rogue, this feature is in beta testing, it means, if people in curefans.com find it useful and a good way to recognize other's members work in this forum, then we will keep this feature. If most of you think it sucks, we will disable the feature.

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

crowbi_wan

David, I like the feature.  It's a way of seeing who is a helpful member around the forum.  Looking at someones total number of posts doesn't equate to a valuable member.  But let's remember this isn't a popularity contest.  And please no trolls  :evil: (Trolls = someone that just goes around handing out smite for the hell of it).

j

Brian-

Funny how like minds think.  I was just typing the text below when I was notified that there was a post added while I was typing!  Here's what I was doing when you posted:

**************************************************************************************

I was just thinking and realized that it really isn't much more different than listing the amount of posts that you have made.  However, you may have 1000 posts, and of that, 750 of them are simple "Thank you" posts.  Is that meaningful?  Sometimes.  Is it meaningful 750 times?  No.

By adding this feature, you are sort of being held accountable.  Will it stop the simple thank you posts?  No.  Should those stop?  Maybe (this is a personal issue amongst some people).  Should someone get a smite on them for posting a thank you?  Absolutely not.

What I am trying to say is that your karma rating should theoretically be more indicative of your involvement in the discussions on this site.  I may have 700+ posts, but who's to say that those 700 posts were meaningful and helpful?  But, if I had a karma rating of 700, then I would be pretty happy.