Charlotte Sometimes, by Penelope Farmer

Started by scatcat, November 12, 2007, 18:50:10

Previous topic - Next topic

scatcat

Just wanted to know if anyone has read the book 'Charlotte Sometimes', by Penelope Farmer. This book was the inspiration for The Cure's song Charlotte Sometimes.

This is probably in my top three songs by The Cure.

The book is essentially for younger readers, but explores the life of a young mentally disturbed girl.

For those wanting to know more.. it is available through Amazon, and around the world.. if you can find it.. or in second-hand bookstores.

I would love to hear other's reviews on this topic!
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

robiola

Thanks for the tip, I'll look for it. Charlotte Sometimes is also one of my favorites...
I remember someone telling me years ago that the song was about a child of Robert's who had died just a few weeks after she was born... Wonder where they came up with that??

sues777

I read 'Charlotte Sometimes' a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.  You're right Scatcat, it is for younger readers, but I still loved it and found it a great escape from boring train rides to and from work.

From memory, it's about a young girl who spends her first night at boarding school and wakes up the next morning as someone else and transported back to World War II.  It then covers her trying to get back to modern times and her own life.  It's a lovely fantasy.  (Gee, Robiola I'd never heard that theory about the song before...wow)

I absolutely adore the song too (was actually listening to the version on Paris this morning) and think it captures the spirit of the book perfectly - beautiful and dreamy.  I also think The Empty World, from The Top, contains references to the book as well (I seem to remember the line, "stiff as toys and tall as men" was a quote from the book?)

And having said that, I'm off to find my copy of the book to see if I've remembered it all correctly!  :smth001
The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know the less we show

Hero

I think charlotte sometimes must be my favorite cure song but its too hard to choose!
I read this book many many many years ago (well maybe not that long ago im only 17!) but i read it in primary school in about year 5 i think.
But i really enjoyed it - its about charlotte who goes to boarding school and each night swaps between her own life and that of Clare who lived a long time before, i can't exactly remember how long now, and they write letters to each other and eventually charlotte gets stuck in the past which is about the time of world war 1 and then she has to get back.
Its quite good but i like the song better even though i read the book first.
I should read it again but im already reading about 5 books at the moment!

scatcat

Quote from: robiola on November 12, 2007, 20:02:22
I remember someone telling me years ago that the song was about a child of Robert's who had died just a few weeks after she was born... Wonder where they came up with that??

this rumour ? About a baby thatRobert and Mary had, died ..  surfaced again after the release of 'A boy I never Knew' was played in Mexico.. I would like to get to the truth.. scatcat the ultraslueth!! . will seek out information!  :smth023

But many interviews point to 'Charlotte Sometimes' book as being the inspiration for the song... hence the (some might say appalling video) in an apparent mental assylum.

If I uncover anymore facts, I will post here..  ;)

~edit~.. Mary was working as a  kind of social worker, at the time, with mentally 'disturbed' patients, and intellectually challenged children.
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

robiola

Quote from: scatcat on November 13, 2007, 13:45:53

But many interviews point to 'Charlotte Sometimes' book as being the inspiration for the song... hence the (some might say appalling video) in an apparent mental assylum.

If I uncover anymore facts, I will post here..  ;)
I for one would certainly say it was appalling... Yech. But I'm not doubting that your explanation is the right one, the "dead baby" rumor always sounded a bit fishy to me...

Lady

Quote from: robiola on November 12, 2007, 20:02:22
Thanks for the tip, I'll look for it. Charlotte Sometimes is also one of my favorites...
Oh God, it's terrible!!! :(    I've never heard about this...I hope they're just rumors...

The plot of the book is very interesting, I'd like to read it! :smth001
Anyway I think the video of this song (one of my favourites, as for you) is inspirated to the novel...
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

LuvURobert

Hello everyone.  I just found this interesting link.  It's Penelope Farmer's blog of when she met Robert Smith.

http://grannyp.blogspot.com/2007/06/cured-climaxed.html

Take care.  :smth001
"And I shiver and shake
When I think of how you make me hate"

robiola

Quote from: LuvURobert on November 13, 2007, 18:32:51
Hello everyone.  I just found this interesting link.  It's Penelope Farmer's blog of when she met Robert Smith.

Well, that takes care of the speculation, doesn't it... Thank you!
And Lady, I hope you mean the song is one of your favorites and not the video, because as Scatcat was saying, the video is terminally bad... At least I think so!

Lady

Quote from: robiola on November 13, 2007, 18:49:55
Well, that takes care of the speculation, doesn't it... Thank you!
And Lady, I hope you mean the song is one of your favorites and not the video, because as Scatcat was saying, the video is terminally bad... At least I think so!
Of course, I was talking about the SONG...but I don't completely agree with you and scatcat about the video...I like it, I've always appreciated every cure's videos, 'cos I find them very original! ;)
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

LuvURobert

QuoteWell, that takes care of the speculation, doesn't it... Thank you!

You're welcome!  ;)

p.s. I also love the song, hate the video.
"And I shiver and shake
When I think of how you make me hate"

robiola

Quote from: Lady on November 13, 2007, 18:55:15
Of course, I was talking about the SONG...but I don't completely agree with you and scatcat about the video...I like it, I've always appreciated every cure's videos, 'cos I find them very original! ;)

I like most of The Cure's videos, but I was so looking forward to seeing this one precisely because I love the song so much, and the first time I did see it (years and years ago) I remember being really disappointed. Just one tiny disappointment against all the wonderful things The Cure have made me feel -- I can take it. :-D

scatcat

Quote from: LuvURobert on November 13, 2007, 18:32:51

thanks LuvU..!! excellent research.  :smth023  VERY interesting I may say. :rocker
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

CureCrusader

I read 'Charlotte Sometimes'.
It is not a book I would normally choose to read.
But from the start it was intriguing, not to mention that one of my earliest recollections of the Cure 'brainwashing' from adults came from this idea from a book.
I could not put the book down, until i had completely finished.

It is a great read. Not heavy, not literary challenging, just a story about a girl, in an institute, lost in time.

I totally recommend it.
For all ages.

:smth023
Who am I? Who are you? Is this world what we percieve it to be? Do we even exist?

CureCrusader

Quote from: mirai sometimes on March 05, 2008, 17:10:31
having read the book gives you a much great appreciation for the song.  even though it is a book for children, it still has a charm to captivate adults.

penelope's blog entry is amazing. 

I totally agree!
Even though i am 13 years old, my interest is way above children's books.. I mean harry potter is just a bore  :roll:

I am into Homer, Dumas, Tolkien (all his books), and I am currently reading Gorillas In The Mist, by Dian Fossey. ( the movie was inspirational. )  :smth023
Who am I? Who are you? Is this world what we percieve it to be? Do we even exist?