Trilogy - on MP3?

Started by Radiohead, May 19, 2007, 11:13:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiohead

Im new here - Hi!

I love the Cure's trilogy DVD but was wondering if anybody has managed to convert it into MP3 files for use on audio players. If anyone's taken the time  and effort to do this already, I'd pay for a rip. Otherwise I will try and do it with my own copy.

Cheers for the help people  :smth023

Matti

I suppose You're running Windows? I wrote a how-to for ripping DVD audio tracks, but it's in German, but if You can wait a few days, I might translate it.
and we close our eyes to sleep
to dream a boy and girl
who dream the world is nothing but a dream

japanesebaby

why not just use something to rip the dvd on your HD first - sorry to say just "something" but i'm running on mac OS X and i use mactheripper or yadeX. you're probably running on windows and i really don't know what software windows users have there. but i assume there are some similar freeware available. anyway, rip it on your HD (choose something like "rip main feature only" to avoid all the intro/menu audios etc.). then use something like an  mpeg editor to demux the audio from the video and save it as a single file. this one works for both mac & pc: http://www.squared5.com/
you can also just go and skip the ripping to HD procedure and demux it straight away if you have an mpeg editor that will let you rip directly from commercial dvds. not all of them do i suppose. 
and yes, you lose the original chaptering/track marks this way but i'd say it's quite simple to add those with some audio editor.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Matti

Well, basically you'll need three things - a DVD ripper (Smartripper), a converter (Super) and an audio editor (Audacity) - supposing you're running on Windows. What you have to do (or rather, what I use to do) is

- rip the sound to ac3 files (chapter by chapter, keeps you from loosing the original trackmarks)
- convert those files to wav
- resample them to 44.1 kHz

...and all of this takes a lot of time and disk space, but sometimes it's worht it. I wish there was a software that can do all this in just one go though...
to dream a boy and girl

japanesebaby

Quote from: Matti on May 22, 2007, 16:36:41
- rip the sound to ac3 files (chapter by chapter, keeps you from loosing the original trackmarks)
- convert those files to wav
- resample them to 44.1 kHz

ac3 > wav? but trilogy has lossless audio...? 
i guess i forgot to mention the resampling part...

and yes, ripping track by track is of course an easy option too and a way to keep the original chaptering, yet i personally find it pretty tedious and timeconsuming to do that way. i'd simply rip it all as a single track and then throw in the chapters myself. maybe it's a personal choice but for me that works a lot faster and i wouldn't care if the chapters weren't exactly in the same places as the originals if and when the files were only for my own casual listening.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

bluewater

For windows try dvd decrypter
http://www.mrbass.org/dvdrip/
select file splitting by chapter and demux to wav. Then you can use any mp3- encoding
software to encode to mp3.

There's no need to downmix the files to 44.1khz. Mp3 supports
48khz sampling rate.
Life's too short to listen to lossy music

Matti

Quote from: bluewater on May 26, 2007, 11:55:36
There's no need to downmix the files to 44.1khz. Mp3 supports 48khz sampling rate.

Thanks for the info. I was referring to ripping DVDs to standard audio CDs.
to dream a boy and girl