Sleep when I'm dead

Started by revolt, July 04, 2008, 10:55:28

Previous topic - Next topic

crowbi_wan

Behind Underneath the Stars, Sleep When I'm Dead is my favorite new track.  However, I'm sticking to my live versions.  That 13 Mix is awful  :smth011  A real shame as I was so looking forward to this one. 

nausearockpig

i'm reneging on any previous comments and am not really hyped about any of the so-far released tracks... I'm waiting for The Cure to stunn [LOL] me with songs like Open, From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea, The Kiss, Like Cockatoos, Bloodflowers and a slew of others.. I wonder if I will be disappointed..

mikeang

Hey, I'll be in Thessaloniki, Greece next week.  Does anyone know of any good CD stores?

firecrasher

Quote from: Bloodflower on July 14, 2008, 23:47:37
I get the feeling the two heads of the Cure monster -- Robert and the label -- don't communicate very well. Robert endorsing the videos being put up on YouTube is meaningless if the other head doesn't know not to bite.

It's back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqIU6agWD80
[i]so this is permanence... love's shattered pride...[/i]

Rec-Level

Well, certainly the fact of not putting songs like Adonais, A pink Dream, It Used To Be Me, This Morning or The big Hand in the albums is a way of making potential buyers love more the art of singles, like little shells with a fantastic pearl inside.
So far, none of these 3 b-sides have fulfilled people's expectations, as nauseareockpig points out, there hasn't been a song yet which leaves you there dribbling and trembling (I'm just remembering when I first bought the vinyl of High and listening to This Twilight Garden). We'll see how the album turns out...

By the way, the best thing of Sleep When I'm Dead is the beginning, they should have continued exploiting that part of the song.

nausearockpig

I still can't listen to the 2004 album and be awed by all of the songs or even half of them. It really saddens me that my favorite band no longer touches me in the way they used to. With their new releases anyway.

Let's hope this record blows us all away!

revolt

Quote from: Bloodflower on July 14, 2008, 23:08:19
Quote from: revolt on July 14, 2008, 15:32:33
Quote from: Rec-Level on July 14, 2008, 14:40:54
b sides aren't what they used to be, where is the this-morning type of song?

Well, I still haven't heard 'This Morning', but in general I think that the quality of B-sides is really going downhill with these new releases...

Hey, let's compare it with 'Wild Mood Swings', which is considered by many fans (not all, I know) as the worst Cure phase... The B-sides to the first single from that album ('The 13th') were:

- It Used to Be Me
- Adonais
- Ocean

All three are much better than any of the current B-sides, and in particular 'Adonais' and 'Ocean' are even of album-quality, I think. And even if the 'Mint car' single was overall weaker, there was still 'Waiting', a good sort-of-dreamy pop song that is clearly of B-side quality but which easily beats any of the new B-sides (the other 2 WMS singles didn't have proper songs as B-sides, only mixes/remixes, so I'll omit them).

This Morning was an exceptional and extraordinary circumstance -- it would be like if they decided to put Underneath the Stars as the b-side to The Perfect Boy. It's a song that, by rights, should have been on the album, but for whatever reason wasn't; there is a b-side 'feel' to songs like NY Trip, Why Can't I Be Me?, et cetera; it doesn't mean they're bad songs, per se, but This Morning was an album track that ended up on a single.

As for WMS b-sides -- again, it's a different situation; that was an album that should have been a double, had been planned as a double, but which ultimately ended up a single, without a follow-up album [which distinguishes it from the current situation]. Album tracks, like Adonais and It Used to be Me got dumped onto singles because there wasn't another album to build. Robert would seem to be serious about The Dark Christmas album, so he's not dumping album tracks on b-sides; he's saving them for the next album.

Well, I only mentioned WMS because it is supposedly The Cure's weakest era. I could easily have also mentioned KMKMKM, Disintegration or Wish. Most B-sides from those 3 albums are much better than any of these 2008 songs... Hell, even some of THOTD  B-sides are better -  'A Few Hours After This', 'The Exploding Boy', and 'New Day' are very far from masterpieces but they are all more interesting than the 2008 B-sides.

In short: there is really no excuse for the complete banality of what The Cure are offering us now. After compilations like The Cure's own 'Join the Dots' or the Banshees' 'Downside Up', which have done so much to rehabilitate the image of the B-side-as-art, this is really a letdown...

sues777

As for my distinguished colleagues and their problems with the new songs, I don't see it; I think they sound great. They certainly don't make me consider such outside thoughts as to not buy the new album in September. I'm as great a supporter of hyperbole as the next, but....

Maybe I should feel lucky? I'm able to love the new single.

I'm with you Bloodflower...maybe I should feel lucky too....
The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know the less we show

disintegration

Datemi un cielo per caderci dentro!
SOLO LA TERNANA!
http://www.ternanashirts.it/
LADY, la luce nel mio buio!

rodney

I actually really like Down Under.  Sound quality is a mess though, but that's for another thread......

Steve

Quote from: Bloodflower on July 14, 2008, 23:47:37
I get the feeling the two heads of the Cure monster -- Robert and the label -- don't communicate very well. Robert endorsing the videos being put up on YouTube is meaningless if the other head doesn't know not to bite.

It maybe because the single's not available everywhere yet, which would make more sense I guess.
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

Bloodflower

Quote from: revolt on July 15, 2008, 10:53:52
Quote from: revolt on July 14, 2008, 15:32:33
Quote from: Rec-Level on July 14, 2008, 14:40:54
b sides aren't what they used to be, where is the this-morning type of song?

Well, I still haven't heard 'This Morning', but in general I think that the quality of B-sides is really going downhill with these new releases...

Hey, let's compare it with 'Wild Mood Swings', which is considered by many fans (not all, I know) as the worst Cure phase... The B-sides to the first single from that album ('The 13th') were:

- It Used to Be Me
- Adonais
- Ocean

All three are much better than any of the current B-sides, and in particular 'Adonais' and 'Ocean' are even of album-quality, I think. And even if the 'Mint car' single was overall weaker, there was still 'Waiting', a good sort-of-dreamy pop song that is clearly of B-side quality but which easily beats any of the new B-sides (the other 2 WMS singles didn't have proper songs as B-sides, only mixes/remixes, so I'll omit them).

This Morning was an exceptional and extraordinary circumstance -- it would be like if they decided to put Underneath the Stars as the b-side to The Perfect Boy. It's a song that, by rights, should have been on the album, but for whatever reason wasn't; there is a b-side 'feel' to songs like NY Trip, Why Can't I Be Me?, et cetera; it doesn't mean they're bad songs, per se, but This Morning was an album track that ended up on a single.

As for WMS b-sides -- again, it's a different situation; that was an album that should have been a double, had been planned as a double, but which ultimately ended up a single, without a follow-up album [which distinguishes it from the current situation]. Album tracks, like Adonais and It Used to be Me got dumped onto singles because there wasn't another album to build. Robert would seem to be serious about The Dark Christmas album, so he's not dumping album tracks on b-sides; he's saving them for the next album.

Well, I only mentioned WMS because it is supposedly The Cure's weakest era. I could easily have also mentioned KMKMKM, Disintegration or Wish. Most B-sides from those 3 albums are much better than any of these 2008 songs... Hell, even some of THOTD  B-sides are better -  'A Few Hours After This', 'The Exploding Boy', and 'New Day' are very far from masterpieces but they are all more interesting than the 2008 B-sides.

In short: there is really no excuse for the complete banality of what The Cure are offering us now. After compilations like The Cure's own 'Join the Dots' or the Banshees' 'Downside Up', which have done so much to rehabilitate the image of the B-side-as-art, this is really a letdown...

I think we agree to disagree, then; the only HOTD b-sides I think are worth anything are The Exploding Boy & A Few Hours After This, which, granted, I think are a masterpieces.... And for those who want to complain about quality, how about Breathe? Beautiful song, or it would be, if it didn't sound so bad.
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

hertz32

Thanks for posting the link.  I was never really a fan of the live version and I wasnt too impressed with this.  I don't know, I will still get the album but I was hoping for the double. 

Janko

I'm getting really really sad about the new songs and the new album.
Come September, this will hurt so bad...

:smth011
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

Janko

The song and the band are getting slaughtered at YOUTUBE...

Absolute rock bottom!

:smth011
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason