The Cure-Sound

Started by Tristan Berlin, March 06, 2009, 07:42:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Tristan Berlin

Hi.

I have the following questions. How do curefans like the current sound of the band in comparison to the former years?
I'm often wondering about some effects they use and why they use them.
For example the song "End". I really don't like this strange distorsion sound Simon uses for the bass. Listening to the Show-Version were it sounds powerful and "warm" and nowadays it's a kind of industrial sound, sounding destroying and "cold". By the way I think the song is played too fast. Am I alone with this point of view?

The same for a dozen other songs. Once "Pictures Of You" sounded so clear and voluminous and today I almost can't hear Robert's guitar part. "Deep green Sea" is played too fast as well and even "A Forest" is not the higlight of a cure-show as it used to be.

Further I think that the sound changed by every tour, it means they sounded in a special way in 1984 and than they sounded different in 1985 and different again in the further years. But listening to them the last years there is almost no difference.

How do you think about that? Am I wrong?

japanesebaby

hello tristan  :)

i think there's been a lot of discussion about this here ever since the line-up chances, but because the conversation is fragmented in many threads, it's difficult to spot using search option. but no problem in bringing it into one thread here!

to quickly sum up those previous comments found here and there in the forum, i suppose the main issues for many people seem to be the missing keyboards:

When will the Cure get a keyboard player?

+the backing tracks have also caused dislike at times. for instance the new "sequencer enhanced" 'push' seems to be generally quite disliked:

Sequencer on Push

another song which i now remember causing love/hate feelings is 'the walk' (sorry i cannot find examples/references to it right now). personally i like the new version very much, imo it works very well and has brought new drive to the song really, but i do understand that it's not for everyone's liking.

Quote from: Tristan Berlin on March 06, 2009, 07:42:12
The same for a dozen other songs. Once "Pictures Of You" sounded so clear and voluminous and today I almost can't hear Robert's guitar part.

i agree about this. it used to have these wonderfully layered guitars, really glittering and beautiful sound. now it's all messy and "one-dimensional", compared to the old versions. ever since the schechters arrived that was lost. i blame the cure's lack of quitar nuances solely on those schechter guitars. and i don't seem to be alone with my dislike --> http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,5977.msg60782.html#msg60782

anyway, despite the criticsm, i still think that in general it's a good thing that the band has tried to move on and do some things differently, to develop their sound - even if they sometimes fail.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine