2023.06.11 Cuyahoga Falls, OH Blossom Music Center (USA)

Started by dsanchez, March 11, 2023, 20:30:08

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

https://www.cure-concerts.de/concerts/2023-06-11.php

Alone
Pictures Of You
Lovesong
And Nothing Is Forever
If Only Tonight We Could Sleep
Burn
Kyoto Song
A Night Like This
Push
At Night
Play For Today
A Forest
Shake Dog Shake
From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea
Endsong

I Can Never Say Goodbye
It Can Never Be The Same
Want
Plainsong
Disintegration

Lullaby
Six Different Ways
The Walk
Friday I'm In Love
Close To Me
Why Can't I Be You?
In Between Days
Just Like Heaven
Boys Don't Cry

I'm walking slowly and quickly, but always away...

Ulrich

https://anniezaleski.substack.com/p/everything-you-do-is-irresistible

QuoteLast night, I saw the Cure at Blossom Music Center, an outdoor amphitheater roughly 45 minutes outside of Cleveland. Weather reports leading up to the concert looked terrible, with chilly temperatures and torrential rain predicted for basically the entire show. Although it was completely appropriate for the Cure to be playing on a gloomy, rainy night, the conditions were far from ideal: After the Twilight Sad's phenomenal opening set, the power in the venue flickered out as lightning and a loud thunderclap brought on a severe weather delay. Incredibly, the show only started 30 minutes late—a testament to the dedicated crew who worked efficiently and quickly to make sure the band was ready to go.

For me, last night was all about the story Robert Smith and the rest of the Cure wanted to tell us. Unlike previous tours, the setlist from night to night only varies a little bit, with the occasional rarity thrown in between static sequences of tunes.

The Cure have long been a fantastic live band, but their sheer musicianship and chemistry are on another level right now. At the start of "And Nothing Is Forever," Smith even conducted the rest of the band as if he was guiding an orchestra—appropriate, since the aching tune deserves symphonic treatment. Perhaps even more important, Smith's voice remains remarkable: otherworldly and singular, with little of the grit or cracks many of his peers need to work around. Although he occasionally starts a song on a lower note than on record, this gesture doesn't fundamentally change the execution.

The subtle, smart details throughout the night also added depth, between a stunning light show and vibrant video detailing.  ...

Before the second encore, Smith cheerfully told the crowd that it was late and he'd understand if they wanted to leave. Some people took him up on that—but the vast majority stuck it out and stayed in their seats until the show ended at around 11:30pm with an ecstatic run of "In Between Days," "Just Like Heaven" and, of course, the perennial closer "Boys Don't Cry."
I'm walking slowly and quickly, but always away...

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo