Main Menu

Started by Steve, October 11, 2007, 08:50:26

Previous topic - Next topic

j

Well said, Brian and Marika!

silversand

I'm not so long a member here, but i think the karma thing is a good idea.
Hope i did understand it right.
You can click applaud when you find a post helpful and smite when you don't, is that right?
Or is it also when you e.g. ask something about the cure and someone answer that question?
Sorry, for these stupid questions  :oops:.

And i don't think that would arouse a club.
Once again it's a good idea  :)

By the way the word smite sounds in German brutal :)

Carnage Visor

I don't like it. I don't like it one bit. The last thing a depressed teen needs is to be rated on a website. I came here as an escape from all that, but now it's here too! Aaaagh!

I just want to be liked! I'm a nice guy! This karma thing is pressuring! :(

Please don't smite me. Ooh,,,I really don't like this. :oops:

japanesebaby

Quote from: Carnage Visor on October 11, 2007, 23:20:02
is to be rated on a website.

i'm not sure why people are so afraid of "being rated". we're not rating people here, that should go without saying.
it's a community thing, not a thing connected to your personality: it's a way or crediting those people who contribute to the community.
i'd like to believe people here have respect to each other so i find it hard to imagine that people would somehow just jump on misusing this feature instantly for some weird evil purposes or whatever. why should they? pretty much everyone here knows everyone else - at least among people who post commonly.
we're not rating people.

take it easy CV.  :smth001
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

dsanchez

Quote from: Carnage Visor on October 11, 2007, 23:20:02
This karma thing is pressuring! :(

Hey Carnage. This is not the school, take it easy :smth001

There's not rating, there's not a "better member" or a "better person". As Marika stated, the karma thing is just to give the credit to the persons who collaborate more in the forum. For instance, if you share a Cure show, instead getting a "thank you", you get an "applause". That's the same thing.

Take it easy man, come on, this is just a simple forum, not a place where you will be punished.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

iwannashagsimon

I am now curious as to what I did to get the -1 rating...

Really makes a person feel welcomed.

crowbi_wan

Again guys, this is not some popularity contest or some sort of attempt to make anyone feel bad, though I can see how it could be misconstrued as such.  Think of it like this, you make an intelligent post or provide information another member is seeking, the other member should reward you with good karma.  If you mock the person, expect bad karma.  Of course this is just one example of when to applaud/smite a member.  This is all really just a way to thank members w/o all of those thank you posts (Or, maybe a way to get people to say more than just "thanks").  Guys, give it some time.  If you are an active member that provides value to Curefans you'll see those karma points rise.  Those hanging around doing nothing but wasting the time of the people who really enjoy this site and what it is meant for might not.  And even if you do get some negative points, is it the end of the world?  People are always going to disagree about things.  Get over it, move on with your life and stop worrying what others think about you.  As long as you feel good about yourself and believe in what you say there's really nothing more you can do.

melly

Firstly, let me say, I think this is the BEST cure fan site I have come across...as I have said elsewhere. I am not an expert on The Cure like so many others. I cannot reel off songs and concerts like so many others here.I haven't been to scores of concerts..only one, in Adelaide, South Australia. And that blew me away I might add!! I do have a "link" with Robert however. Do I feel "threatened" on this site? Not at all. That's why I come here. I totally understand what this karma thing is all about; but I see that too many are not happy about it, feeling they need to "perform" somehow. I really think that no matter how many times it is explained, it will not be accepted by some. It has been taken personally and misunderstood. And when that happens, resentment can take over. Please don't let that happen here. Perhaps the wizards who created and run this site may have to delete the karma rating? Please...keep it peaceful and a good place to come to... Thanx...melly
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

iwannashagsimon

Quote from: crowbi_wan on October 12, 2007, 02:46:14
If you mock the person, expect bad karma. 

I never mocked anyone.  I'd just like to know what I did to get the smite.  It's not easy being someplace where you know someone doesn't like you.  I'd just like to know why and what I can do to correct it.

If you are an active member that provides value to Curefans you'll see those karma points rise.  Those hanging around doing nothing but wasting the time of the people who really enjoy this site and what it is meant for might not.

And I'm sorry I'm not full of Cure information to post 24/7.  I'm a very shy person. Plus I've only been here a few months so I'm still trying to feel my way around. Perhaps after I've been here for a while and gotten more comfortable and gotten to know everyone here better, then I will post more and stop "wasting time". So, I aplogize now if you think I am just wasting everyone's time.  If I am, tell me and I will gladly leave.

(Interesting. My -1 is gone....)

crowbi_wan

Quote from: iwannashagsimon on October 12, 2007, 05:31:11
If you mock the person, expect bad karma. 

I never mocked anyone.  I'd just like to know what I did to get the smite.  It's not easy being someplace where you know someone doesn't like you.  I'd just like to know why and what I can do to correct it.

If you are an active member that provides value to Curefans you'll see those karma points rise.  Those hanging around doing nothing but wasting the time of the people who really enjoy this site and what it is meant for might not.

And I'm sorry I'm not full of Cure information to post 24/7.  I'm a very shy person. Plus I've only been here a few months so I'm still trying to feel my way around. Perhaps after I've been here for a while and gotten more comfortable and gotten to know everyone here better, then I will post more and stop "wasting time". So, I aplogize now if you think I am just wasting everyone's time.  If I am, tell me and I will gladly leave.

(Interesting. My -1 is gone....)

No need to be shy here, nobody knows who you are.  Ah, the beauty of the world wide web.  Speak your mind.  My "wasting time" comment wasn't directed towards you.  As a matter of fact I applaud you for becoming a regular member here. I recoginize your nick from MFC and am always happy to see people branching out from that place  :smth023       

gioez

I confirm: take it easy folks!
Karma isn't a "liking-meter".
All people there are different (with merits and faults), but we form nice community with great passion in common.  :smth023 :smth020
[move][b][glow=red,6,28]100 Years[/glow][/b][/move]

japanesebaby

Quote from: gioez on October 12, 2007, 09:43:16
I confirm: take it easy folks!
Karma isn't a "liking-meter".

exactly.

i've said this elsewhere in this forum but i'll say it here again: so many of us have bad experiences on some other forums/cure sites. curefans.com was originally created to offer an alternative, a place where none of all that shit goes on (for instance all the crap that comes and goes with the official site).
so you don't have to worry about people's motivations here. let's not bring this mindset in this place because we don't need it.
so there's really nothing there for you to apologize for, iwannashagsimon.
just relax all, let us trust each other and together keep creating the good spirit here, as we have done in the past.
after all, it's all of us who make this place together and it's all of us who take care of this place and it's special atmosphere.   :rocker

:smth001

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

slit-the-cats-like-cheese

I don't care my karma, look like i have it bad way but hehe it not mean to me nothing. :-D
I just read my news and forum but I not care some karma points which i have. for me is fun only.

But i think is ok thing for forum
I often see some other site in web who use it too and it work ok.

thanks.

Cure Freak

This karma points thing doesn't bother me. I think it's a nice gesture for  saying thank you.

dsanchez

Quote from: slit-the-cats-like-cheese on October 12, 2007, 11:52:56
I don't care my karma, look like i have it bad way but hehe it not mean to me nothing. :-D

Same thoughts here!
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo