Your Top Movies & Recommendations

Started by dsanchez, July 11, 2007, 00:34:22

Previous topic - Next topic

rjl

Quote from: LuvURobert on October 08, 2007, 06:29:13
7)  True Romance ~ Another Christian Slater movie!  Just love this one - reminds me of happy times when I was in my 20's and carefree.  A friend introduced me to it and I was hooked!!  LOL ~ Love Brad Pitt's role in this one! 

One of my favorites. Action, comedy, romance, over-the-top violence, Gary Oldman dies... It has everything.

I only mention Gary Oldman dying as a game that I sometimes play (since we're on the topic of film) when I'm bored somewhere, and I'm not near a computer, book or music, I run through all of the movies I've seen and try to figure out who's died more in the movies: Gary Oldman or Steve Buscemi...

Also makes for a great conversation while drinking with friends...

(I never write it down, or look anything up, as that ruins the fun of thinking/remembering/etc).

LuvURobert

:smth023 I'm glad someone else appreciates this one!! I do truly love it because it has a little bit of everything.  Now I really want to watch it again ~ haven't seen it in a while!!

Oh, and I love the game idea!  Gary Oldman and Steve Buscemi are probably pretty close in number of times they bite it in a movie!  LOL.  Do animations count?? Trying to remember if Buscemi's character, Randall, dies or not in Monsters, Inc.  I should ask my 4 yr old ~ he'd probably know!  :D
"And I shiver and shake
When I think of how you make me hate"

rjl

Steve Buscemi also dies in his TV appearances. The Sopranos and Homicide spring to mind... But yes, it's fun to either compare the two, death for death, or even better, to think of movies where they DON'T die.

(For Buscemi, it always gets me that he's the one who doesn't die in Reservoir Dogs, of all people. And I don't think that's a total coincidence, given what kind of mega film-nerd Quentin Tarantino is...)

I can't think of any other actor who comes close to either one of them.

If I were ever going to make a movie, I'd want Steve Buscemi in it as a cameo... Not in the movie itself, but rather to jump in during the credits (where they sometimes include footage), just to get shot in the head.

As a tribute to his many, many, many big-screen deaths.

Carnage Visor

Top 7? I am a movie fanatic! My life is devoted to movies and music!

Right now, 7 of my favorites (not my SEVEN FAVORITES, just 7 OF my favorites)
1. Halloween Series
2. The Goonies
3. Terminator
4. Nightmare On Elm Street
5. Better Off Dead
6. Lost Boys
7. Labyrinth

They alternate alot, sometimes I'll go on a binge and not watch a certain movie for a long time, and then I'll go back and watch it over and over again.

silversand

1. All Monty Python films
2. The sixth Sense
3. Trainspotting
4. Brazil
5. Night on Earth
6. Down by Law
7. Lost in Translation

These are at the moment but it will change, because i have more films i like very much :)

ROGUE

Quote from: Cure Freak on October 07, 2007, 23:09:00
Quote from: [labyrinth] on October 07, 2007, 20:24:27
Quote from: ROGUE on October 07, 2007, 18:44:35
Q.Tarrentino       

Quentin TARANTINO!

;)
Love both Kill Bill Movies.
Saw Grindhouse last month. It was good.  very rauchy.

ROGUe@ I love vampire movies also. Love Bram Stoker's Dracula. If you excluded the poor acting of Reeves and Ryder. It was a really goos movie. I especially, love the woman's dresses.

Yes i know, crappy acting but everything else i love, and the scenery- The blood-**** chicks, and wow the dresses.
Love that girl that dies, after being with 'Dracula', when she comes back to life, with a little girl in tow. And spews up a bucket (or 2) of blood.  :lol:

Reminds me I love 'Texas chain saw massacre' aswell, havent seen that one for awhile,
Love Saw, although haven't seen the following ones.
Lost in translation- seen that a few times- very adorable.
yes "lost boys" too.  :smth023

so many i know, but still for the moment 'The Blind Swordsman, ZATOICHI' - got dvd going to watch it, again, tonight, then i have a new list next time. but its a beautiful movie. :smth051

CureCrusader

Quote from: LuvURobert on October 08, 2007, 18:22:08
:smth023 I'm glad someone else appreciates this one!! I do truly love it because it has a little bit of everything.  Now I really want to watch it again ~ haven't seen it in a while!!

Oh, and I love the game idea!  Gary Oldman and Steve Buscemi are probably pretty close in number of times they bite it in a movie!  LOL.  Do animations count?? Trying to remember if Buscemi's character, Randall, dies or not in Monsters, Inc.  I should ask my 4 yr old ~ he'd probably know!  :D

I don't think Randall dies, he just gets sent through one of the doors to a caravan somwhere...

:rocker
Who am I? Who are you? Is this world what we percieve it to be? Do we even exist?

ROGUE

Quote from: CureCrusader on October 09, 2007, 08:00:24
Quote from: LuvURobert on October 08, 2007, 18:22:08

I don't think Randall dies, he just gets sent through one of the doors to a caravan somwhere...

KILL THE RANDALL  :lol:

LuvURobert

Oh, I think you're right!  Think we only see sillouettes of him being beaten with a club or something 'cuz they think he's a gator (or something like that)!!   :smth045
"And I shiver and shake

LuvURobert

KILL THE RANDALL  :lol:

Yes... Bad, bad, Randall!  He should be beaten severely and put in the naughty corner!  :smth075 :smth021 :smth036 :smth038
"And I shiver and shake

Carnage Visor

Sorry, I have to say I DO NOT like Quentin Tarantino. I haven't enjoyed any of his films, they're just pure nonsensical violence, IMO. And they're filthy!

No flaming, I don't need that. I just plain don't like his films. Not my style.

Now Tim Burton, he's got a very odd and quirky style, and I actually really like his films. Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, he's so diverse yet so recognisable in style...everything he does is like a piece of art to me, the exagerrated way of life portrayed in his films is mesmorizing. It's like how I view the world in my dreams, twisted, slightly off...

Sam Raimi, the masterful king of low budget, intentionally campy horror films...I love him too. Great comedic slapstick style, I can recognise a few similarities in directing style between Spiderman and Evil Dead...the way he uses the camera itself as a special effect, the way he exaggerates human emotions and action sequences...

I'm sorry, I am in love with the filmmaking process.

Anyway, sorry for being annoying.

LuvURobert

Hi, Carnage Visor.  No need to apologize for stating your opinion.  :D  I like Tarantino, but not everyone has to.  So that's all good!  Burton is definitely "quirky" in an eccentric kind of way and definitely gets a thumbs up :smth023 for his work!!  I had no idea how many movies he's done until I checked on the web!  Amazing!

And for Raimi - my brother introduced me to him a long time ago with the Evil Dead movies.  I love Army of Darkness with Bruce Campbell!  It totally cracks me up with the corny dialogue and slapstick humor... "give me some sugar, baby"!

"And I shiver and shake

AlluivialL

I don't think I will put them in order, simply because I don't have an absolute favorite movie.

American History X
Empire Of The Sun
Star Wars
Edward Scissorhands
Mars Attacks!
A Clockwork Orange
Munich
Fight Club
A.I.
Donnie Darko
Beatlejuice
The Labyrinth
The Crow
The Lost Boys

only 7 more than I was supposed to put..lol, sorry.
But I think I get a bit confused, am I seducing or being seduced?

~*CherryRed*~

Has anyone seen these?

Dragon Slayer
Watership Down
StarMan
LadyHawke

I think I may have already put my two pence worth into the mix about my fav.s! But I wondered if anyone else has a soft spot (like me) for these films?
"prone to flights of whimsy"

ROGUE

Ohh loved 'Watership Down"- had a dramatic effect on me as a youngster, with big wig  :smth023

Glad 'Supernatural' is back on t.v. - blood and misery comforts my own at the moment. and like the music like Blue Oyster Cult, AC/DC last episode. but usually older cooler music, although ac/dc's cool.

But at the moment a cant focus on a film., or think of any favourites today yet,