What these Cure words mean to me...

Started by melly, January 22, 2008, 06:23:03

Previous topic - Next topic

melly

A "conversation" was being had by  members in the "Homesick" thread, and they were discussing what those particular lyrics meant to them and how they relate to their own lives...reading the "lines" thread, it's pretty obvious many can relate so many different lyrics to themselves..soooo..I was thinking, if there are particular lines, music, in the Cures repatoire that really "touch" you, for whatever reason, share them here, in this thread...I know this has been tried before, but, I find it really interesting to see how different people interpret maybe even the same lines...so, fire away!!...don't be shy, and include as many as you like...
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

tigermilk

hey, i'm from south australia too!! small world... haha

There are so many lines from Cure songs that just give me chills.

Pictures of You is important to me because I would listen to it all the time and just break down because I was in a long distance relationship a few years ago and all I had was my pictures. "I almost believe that they're real"

Before Three - When my girlfriend would visit we would always go to the beach and everything was perfect. So when Robert speaks of being under the summer sun and all the emotions it conjures up it always takes me back to those moments. Also, "hold me like this for a hundred, thousand, million days" from The Edge of The Deep Green Sea... both wonderful songs!

The Bloodflowers album also has many lines that I can relate with and that mean a lot to me. "The last day of summer never felt so cold", "held your hands to my shining eyes".... so many great lines that love.

Disintegration... i love "the strangest twist upon your lips" and all of Plainsong.

The Cure have never failed, they're music and words mean so much to me, from the best song to the not so great song (of which there aren't many), it all means so much... "so much more than everything"- pictures of you

Carnage Visor

The Figurehead means alot to me, as it makes me think about the side of me I have troubles with - my appearance. He makes alot of allusions to facial features and worthlessness and to me it always speaks to that one aspect of my life.

10:15 Saturday Night contains the lyrics of being home alone with nothing to do, waiting for someone to call you. I have this experience alot, and I find myself very lonely on the weekend, waiting for someone to approach me instead of taking the initiative myself.

Why Can't I Be You? The whole thing really, I feel like I'm not worth someone else's time and effort, I feel envious of others and wish I could be them...so this one really relates to me, regaurdless of what Smith was trying to say originally.

Again, without the lyrics of every song layed out in front of my eyes, I can only paraphrase and reference the songs themselves as opposed to the lyrics which speak to me.

lordsquidy13

Mint Car- "The Sun Is Up, I'm So Happy I Could Scream..." "I Really Don't Think It Gets Any Better Than This" "Birds Sing, We Swing"

When I'm in a bad mood or depressed, this song always brings me up.

"And It'll Always Be Like This, Forever and ever and ever...."

It stops me from worrying about the future and just have fun with the present.

Hero

The Drowning Man - "The loneliness grows and slowly fills her frozen body" , I often feel quite lonely, isolated inside my head, its hard to explain but also the line - "Still seeing worlds that never were" means alot. Also i really like the gormenghast books.

Fear of Ghosts - Again the feeling of being alone and not really caring, hopelessness and wanting things that won't come back...friendships and things like that.

Chain of Flowers - I love this song, it reminds me of a really happy time, in particular, a little church on a hilltop in Switzerland overlooking Lake Geneva and being really exited.

Other Voices - The feeling of self doubt, being different from everyone else. It makes me think about my little world and my "distorted view of reality" - (according to doctors :?). I question myself alot, im not quite schizophrenic! But sometimes imagine voices, movement... it could be ghosts...

lordsquidy13

Primary- "The further we go, and older we grow the more we know the less we show"

To me, it means when you're an adult, you'll be occupied with many things and your personality won't shine as much if you're so overly occupied. I think it means to just relax and have a good time when you can so people can get to know the real you.

To me, it also means to just have fun and make the best memories possible in the present, because everyone will seperate after high school. The more you try hard to fit in is how far you go. Growing old is just with the age and maturing. Knowing more is learning by expeiriences. This all goes into the future, but then, you also lose the ability to show your true colors.

iwannashagsimon

COLD: "Ice in my eyes and eyes like ice don't move". Sorrow and loneliness.  Looking on a cold world that doesn't accept you.

melly

this is really good! keep it up!  very interesting...:smth023

Quote from: tigermilk on January 22, 2008, 08:51:51

hey! always good to see another "croweater"!!  howdy doody!!  :-D
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

sues777

Why Can't I Be Me?  -  "I try so hard to be just for you, careful what I want to know and what I do, make my second nature all you ever see, you're sure it's the only way to be...".  To me it's all about the compromises we make to fit in with others, whether it be with partners, friends or in our professional lives.  I've struggled a lot over past months with the concept of "work face vs real face".  I'm quite a different person at work.  My work requires me to be very controlled and unemotional, whereas in reality I can be very emotional.  Being controlled and professional is very tiring at times....but as long as I can be the "real" me around my family and friends, then it's ok.

Disintegration  -  "But I never said I would stay to the end...".  This line reminds me of something my now ex husband said to me years ago (many years before we broke up).  "When we both us knew how the ending would be..."  The pain and panic(?) in Robert's vocals really overwhelm me, remind me of the pain and panic I felt when I realised it was over.  But I find it comforting in a strange way - hey, I'm not the first person to go through it and I won't be the last....

Quote from: melly on January 28, 2008, 06:54:14
this is really good! keep it up!  very interesting...:smth023

Quote from: tigermilk on January 22, 2008, 08:51:51

hey! always good to see another "croweater"!!  howdy doody!!  :-D
I was born and raised in Adelaide!!  It's still "home"..
The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know the less we show

revolt

"It doesn't matter if we all die".

It basically summarises my view of humanity...  :-D

revolt

Drifting up the stairs
I see the steps behind me
Disappearing
Can you help me?

(from 'Three Imaginary Boys')

These words have nothing to do with my life, so I'm not sure if the following comment belongs in this thread, but anyway, here it goes...

My idea is that this imagery - stairs with steps disappearing - possibly comes from a dream Robert had. But even if it's not the case, i think it kind of provides a powerful intuition of what achieving SUCCESS means. A premonition from Robert? The image of "climbing stairs" can clearly be associated to the idea of "achieving success". In this context the "steps disappearing" would stand for the fact that when you get really famous/successful you lose much of your roots. You forget where you come from, lose touch with people that used to mean much to you, your whole life changes. And there's really no way of going back, of climbing down the stairs back to your point of departure. In this sense the stairs do disappear. You can of course at some point in time lose your success, lose your money and your fame, but then we cannot say that you have CLIMBED DOWN the stairs of sucess. What we say is that you FELL from your pedestal...

This idea could also be linked to the lyrics of "Fear of Ghosts":

The further I get
From the things that I care about
The less I care about
How much further away I get...

KingOfSomeIsland

Closedown is a song that resonates with me quite a bit, Its isolation and sorrow but it still manages to be hopeful, I used to listen to it when I was single and my friends would ignore me to go on dates and I couldnt find anyone... (dont worry I did eventually  ;))

Open reminds me of all the times I would go to places I diddnt want to go with people I diddnt care about and who diddnt care about me simply for the purpose of being able to go somewhere with someone and be able to fit in and be part of something. Except it diddnt work, I always felt like:
and all the people i meet
and all the words that i know
makes me sick to the heart
oh i feel so tired...
and the way the rain comes down hard...
that's how i feel inside...

OnniHopeDream

Disintegration
Now that i know that i'm breaking to pieces
I'll Pull out my heart and i'll feed it to anyone
Crying for sympathy
crocodile cry for the love of the crowd and the three cheers from everyone

To me I always felt like it was being in such a crazy and desolate place in your mind with racing thoughts driving you into madness. Like if the world was watching you make every mistake. Well that's how I felt personally when I listened to this one day (it wasn't a good day for me XD)
And every day that I let slide Is one more day I never try To break the world To make my fate And with every day that I let go It's one day less I never know If it's always Always too late...

Lisa.Lovecat

There are SO many, but ok, here we go  :-D

A Forest - It's always the same. I'm running towards nothing, again and again and again - Reminds me of situations when you feel kinda trapped, like moving on and on, but nothing really changes.

Cut here - "In a minute, sometime soon, maybe next time, make it June, until later... doesn't always come." - A guy I was in love with, a bet, a promise which doesn't always come.

Jumping someone else's train - I love it! It's just my opinion and Robert is so damn right with his words  :-D

Want - For me, it's a very sad song which reminds me of melancholic times,  which were beautiful in a strange way. This song means a lot to me, because it really, really touches me.

Pictures of you - Makes me think of someone special I couldn't have. All I had were pictures and dreams, I almost believed they were real ;)

These were just a few, there are tons of songs which mean a lot to me...
I could kill you without trying, that's accuracy :-D

dsanchez

Cut here
It's so hard to think
"It ends sometime
And this could be the last
I should really hear you sing again
And I should really watch you dance"
Because it's hard to think
"I'll never get another chance
To hold you... to hold you... "

My mother always told me "Look at me good, cause maybe you won't see me anymore". Maybe she's too dramatic, but it's true. Specially when you make a long trip, and you don't know for sure if you will see again the people you love. Your family. Your friends. Your girlfriend. Your wife. Life can change in a second.

Robert says that it's It's so hard to think "It ends sometime And this could be the last..."  but actually we should think that way always. Only thinking that way we will live each moment with total intensity. That's how we have to live life, with passion.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo