exhibitions, art, science, history, museums, nature - anything/everything...

Started by japanesebaby, March 29, 2009, 20:59:41

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

being a spin-off from the weather thread.
could be about your favorite places/some recent random visits - anything you like.

the local museum of natural history was closed for a pretty long time due to extensive renovation. it's been re-opened now with some new "big guys" added -
i went to see these monsters today:

giganotosaurus just about to eat that poor family...

that thing was bigger than t.rex! :shock:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36543214@N07/sets/72157616074146688/

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

alwaysprayingforRAIN

good idea!!!!
man that looks scary :shock:
i prefer the aquarium and the zoo with cute little furry animal and colorful fish. our zoo has an elephant baby and it's just precious.       http://www.koeln-lodge.de/img/fotoalbum/images/31-koelner-zoo-elefanten-ming-jung-cut.jpg
:D
Say hello on a day like today
Say it every time you move
The way that you look at me now
Makes me wish i was you

fiction

I try to go to a little island here in the south of Sweden once a year, preferably during the spring or autumn seasons. What we do there on Utklippan, as the name of the island is, is birdwatching and birdbanding. This is a perfect place for contemplation and spending time with good friends in the nature. We´re rather isolated during one or two weeks (I never stayed more than one week though) but there´s always plenty of good food and a few nice beers aswell.

Take a look at a skua flying by my treasure island.
again and again and again and again and again and...

fiction

I really wanted You to see the island aswell but didn´t manage to attatch two separate pictures in one post so here is another post with a picture of the island itself. Enjoy.

Trust...

Quote from: fiction on March 31, 2009, 20:14:31
I really wanted You to see the island aswell but didn´t manage to attatch two separate pictures in one post so here is another post with a picture of the island itself. Enjoy.

Wow I'm impressed  :shock: It's like a painting. So beautiful.
Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

japanesebaby

Quote from: fiction on March 31, 2009, 20:10:19
I try to go to a little island here in the south of Sweden once a year, preferably during the spring or autumn seasons. What we do there on Utklippan, as the name of the island is, is birdwatching and birdbanding. This is a perfect place for contemplation and spending time with good friends in the nature. We´re rather isolated during one or two weeks (I never stayed more than one week though) but there´s always plenty of good food and a few nice beers aswell.

that's looks like a dream location. thanks for posting the pics.

this reminds me of many years ago, i once spent a week on the island of jurmo (in outer åland islands. that was late in summer/early autumn, good birdwatching time too. ;)
the island is pretty remote and can only be reached by a ferry only a couple of times per week.
i've always wanted to go back there since that.

found some pics here:
http://www.rosita.fi/galleria/jurmo/index.htm

more pics: http://www.jurmo.com/albumi.html

(click the link "avaa albumi..." to view the photo folders)

Quote from: fiction on March 31, 2009, 20:10:19
Take a look at a skua flying by my treasure island.

a great pic! that's an arctic skua, isn't it?

fiction

Quote from: japanesebaby on April 01, 2009, 20:42:27
that's looks like a dream location. thanks for posting the pics.

Well, thanx for enjoying them.

this reminds me of many years ago, i once spent a week on the island of jurmo (in outer åland islands. that was late in summer/early autumn, good birdwatching time too. ;)
the island is pretty remote and can only be reached by a ferry only a couple of times per week.
i've always wanted to go back there since that.

found some pics here:
http://www.rosita.fi/galleria/jurmo/index.htm

more pics: http://www.jurmo.com/albumi.html

(click the link "avaa albumi..." to view the photo folders)

What great pictures. But then of course the archipelago of Åland is mysteriously beautiful. I´ve actually spent a week during an easter holiday there in search of king eiders (kyhmyhaahka). We didn´t spot any but we saw a lot of eiders (haahka), long tailed ducks (alli) and white tailed eagle (merikotka).

a great pic! that's an arctic skua, isn't it?

Right on target, Captain. It´s an arctic skua of the darker phase.

I´ll see to it and post some more pictures another time.

japanesebaby

that would be nice.
i'd really need to arrange some stay in the archipelago again. haven't been there for years. the spring would be the best time. i always feel like i'm just wasting it away...

otherwise i really like it that there's a large natural coservation area almost right in the heart of the city here, especially famous for the bird life:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanhankaupunginlahti

some interesting exotic friendships i've made there, like citrine wagtail and great egret.

fiction

Quote from: japanesebaby on April 02, 2009, 08:24:44
that would be nice.
i'd really need to arrange some stay in the archipelago again. haven't been there for years. the spring would be the best time. i always feel like i'm just wasting it away...

You do that. It´s so good for the mind to do some contemplating in nature.

Quote from: japanesebaby on April 02, 2009, 08:24:44
otherwise i really like it that there's a large natural coservation area almost right in the heart of the city here, especially famous for the bird life:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanhankaupunginlahti

some interesting exotic friendships i've made there, like citrine wagtail and great egret.

Again You bid us beautiful pictures and to me some fantastic heron memories from Mallorca and the swamp of S´albufera. That´s possibly the best birdpark I visit abroad. Check it out some time.

Here is a picture of a banded pallas´s warbler from Utklippan.

fiction

Hmm... I don´t seem to understand how to post more than one picture at the time in these mails. Well, I give You one more to look at. It´s a view at the lighthouse.

Okay, now I just saw the link to the right and if this works as I expect it to do the following images representing the lighthouse of Utklippan, a bluethroat, a rough legged buzzard (check out his look), and me with a firecrest. The latter one we did suspect died later on because all of the goldcrest (the related and more common specie) were very tired when they hit the island and many of them were prayed upon by sparrowhawks.

japanesebaby

great pics again!  :) (that's you in the last pic?)

in the list of favorite places, i like cemeteries. or, "collecting cemeteries" as you might also call it (ok that might sound a bit weird, easy to get it all wrong... but no, it's not that i like to hang around there at midnight dressed as a vampire or to push over tombstones or something. instead, read on...).

i had some nice appointments the other day on my usual cemetery walk in hietaniemi cemetery:
http://blog.curefans.com/japanesebaby/2009/04/09/an-appointment/

fiction

Quote from: japanesebaby on April 09, 2009, 11:55:01
great pics again!  :) (that's you in the last pic?)

in the list of favorite places, i like cemeteries. or, "collecting cemeteries" as you might also call it (ok that might sound a bit weird, easy to get it all wrong... but no, it's not that i like to hang around there at midnight dressed as a vampire or to push over tombstones or something. instead, read on...).

i had some nice appointments the other day on my usual cemetery walk in hietaniemi cemetery:
http://blog.curefans.com/japanesebaby/2009/04/09/an-appointment/

Yup, it´s me alright.

It´s a bit scary that story of Yours and the pictures of the squirrel. I´m just reading a book (that one of my students made such a great rapport of that I just had to read it myself), "The Magic House" by James Herbert. I´s a sweet story about two young lovers finding their dream house with a garden full of tame birds and squirrels. And just the squirrel is the start of all evil as he gets a bit close to the pair in love. Spooky. I just pictured the view very similar to Your picture.

japanesebaby

Quote from: fiction on April 09, 2009, 12:24:11And just the squirrel is the start of all evil as he gets a bit close to the pair in love. Spooky. I just pictured the view very similar to Your picture.

how could he be start of anything evil?  :D

anyway, funny how the associations can be so different. i have such a nice memory of that creature that it's hard to imagine anything else.
have to check out that book sometime.

Descent

Wow. Nice encounters. Here in Paris' Père Lachaise cemetery, the only thing you may bump into are the wild cats that live in there. I also find walks in such an environment very relaxing. You get to feel what's really important around you.

fiction

Quote from: japanesebaby on April 09, 2009, 12:31:58
how could he be start of anything evil?  :D

Well for starters, Your little friend is at a greveyard :roll:. No of course squirrels are nomally not the root to something evil. You have taken a very nice picture, almost a portrait of the individual.

Quote from: japanesebaby on April 09, 2009, 12:31:58
anyway, funny how the associations can be so different. i have such a nice memory of that creature that it's hard to imagine anything else.
have to check out that book sometime.

When it comes to that book I really don´t recommend it. The review was better than the actuall book imo. At least for as so far I have gotten thus far.