New book planned on "goth/post punk"

Started by Ulrich, June 03, 2014, 14:11:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

http://unbound.co.uk/books/goth-the-true-story-of-post-punk
This book will look at punk's historic roots in art, literature and architecture and its modern foundation in the music of the Doors, Iggy, Bowie and glam. The book will examine how different people interpreted and developed punk, from Southern Death Cult's fascination with native Americans to the Cure's dark psychedelic take on their initial pop punk, from Nick Cave's feral and untamed poetry to Siouxsie's iconic look and jagged melodies, from Adam Ant's pre-fame songs of taboo to Bauhaus's small town genius, from the Damned's flirtation with vampires to Joy Division's journey into the heart of a very personal darkness.

Bands covered will include: Adam and the Ants, Alien Sex Fiend, Bauhaus, The Birthday Party, Blood and Roses, Brigandage, Cocteau Twins, Crass, The Cure, The Damned, The Danse Society, Dead Can Dance, Depeche Mode, The Doors, Einstürzende Neubauten, Flesh for Lulu, Gary Numan, Jesus and Mary Chain, Joy Division, Killing Joke, The Lords of the New Church, Lydia Lunch, The Mission, New Model Army, Play Dead, Screaming Lord Sutch, Sex Gang Children, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Sisters of Mercy, Skinny Puppy, Southern Death Cult, Iggy and The Stooges, Test Dept, Theatre of Hate, This Mortal Coil, Throbbing Gristle, UK Decay, The Velvet Underground, Virgin Prunes and Xmal Deutschland.

The Author
John Robb was a founder member of the legendary post-punk band the Membranes. They recorded their first single in 1980 and went on to release six albums. His parallel career as a writer began at the music weekly Sounds and continues to this day. He has written a number of music books including the highly acclaimed Punk: an oral history (with foreign editions published in U.S. and Italy). He currently runs the music website Louder than War and tours the world with his bands Goldblade and the Membranes.
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

dsanchez

Found a video of the author talking about this, it seems the book has yet to be released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTcNBavhpqY#
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Has this book ever seen the light of day? (Well I met the author last year, but didn't remember this topic...)

Anyway, I didn't know where else to put it, here is an article about "goth" with 2 nice photos of RS/Cure.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/articles/0f43371d-fb37-4a7b-ba23-70c2610070d1

PearlThompsonsBloodflower

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imo The Cure ain't goth at all but to each it's own I guess.

Ulrich

Quote from: PearlThompsonsBloodflowers on May 23, 2018, 22:55:12
Imo The Cure ain't goth at all but to each it's own I guess.

Yeah, I can't help but agree... The Cure made some dark/sad/melancholy records, but typical "gothic rock" to my ears is more like "Sisters of Bauhaus", Fields of the Nephilim etc.