2013.04.17 Lima - Estadio Nacional (Peru)

Started by dsanchez, January 26, 2013, 13:19:22

Previous topic - Next topic

jakso

oh David, I am so touched...If I imagine that I could be there...it had to be a great gig.
did you record the show?

and nice conversation with Bob :)

dsanchez

An audio sample from "Push". Listen to the fan craziness :P

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

pedrin17

Q buen audio!!!... casi reconocí mi voz gritando desafinadamente jajaja

A STRANGE BOY

Quote from: dsanchez on April 19, 2013, 20:16:50
An audio sample from "Push". Listen to the fan craziness :P

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/88603653"></iframe>

Queremos el audio completo por favor David, cuelgalo lo más pronto please !!  saludos

Alienígena Suburbano

Excelente el audio. Es que fue sencillamente la noche mas hermosa e inolvidable.

Gantzfeld

Yo estaba en tribuna...nadie cantaba, solo yo ):

Jojo denovan

Hey David this is brilliant I love how everyone is just loving it

Sussex

Quote from: dsanchez on April 19, 2013, 07:17:51
I have seen The Cure 9 times and seeing them in my hometown was like my second first time (as contradictory as this might sound). The band felt really comfortable on stage and the crowd was absolutely mad. I was very close to the stage, at about 15 metters. 

It was very emotional because I enjoyed the concert with my school friends from the Salesiano school (also because I went to the venue with some people I met here through curefans.com).

I discovered The Cure with some of my friends from Salesiano back in 1993, so we had to wait like two decades to see them in Lima! Every song was sung by the crowd like you have no idea. Most of us knew the show was going to end with "Killing An Arab", so we did an infernal pogo at the end. It was absolutely madness.

I am going to write and post more (photo, my long review, etc.) info next week, as the Internet connection I have right now sucks.

And by the way. Today I went to the Hotel where the band was staying to see if I could see Bob. And guess what, I met him! He came out and signed autographes for about 50 fans there! Shortly after he went to the airport to take his flight to Bogota. I had a small talk with him:

Bob: (signing my concert ticket)
dsanchez: I was at Euro Summer tour last year :)
Bob: were you?
dsanchez: Yes!
Bob: (smiles)
dsanchez: Can you play Piggy In The Mirror next time?
Bob: that's a strange request (WTF face)
dsanchez: well, if you can
Bob: If I can?
Bob: Of course I can!

:)

And he signed my concert ticket (see photo attached the moment when he is signing it :)

So happy for u David! Major envy here..: )

almost a breakdown for me reading this.

Piggy in the mirror! way to go bro.
"Thick As Shit"

dsanchez

Sussex, nice to see you around! how you doing, pal? Are you going to see the band in South Korea? I am considering that, if I find a cheap flight from Europe (which might be difficult).

I am currently in a hotel in Madrid and tomorrow I catch a flight to Prague. Really curious about tonight's show in Mexico!

And I have PLENTY of information on The Cure's show in Lima. Will share that later! :)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Photos: Bob and his las contact with the fans in Peru. He signed autographs to lots of people!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.286471678153795.1073741839.260389040762059
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Trust...

Fantastic David, so happy for you and all the other fans :-)
Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

dsanchez

Some more pics added to the gallery: fans before the concert, and some pics of Bob signing autographs

http://curefans.com/gallery/index.php/live/2013/The-Cure-Latin-American-Tour/Lima

if you want to upload pictures to the gallery click Login and then use this data access. you may upload multiple files at once:

user: curefan
password: curefan

:smth023
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Nice video from Aministia Internacional and The Cure's show in Lima:

The Cure - ¡Mi Cuerpo, Mis Derechos!
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Sussex

Quote from: dsanchez on April 21, 2013, 21:29:11
Sussex, nice to see you around! how you doing, pal? Are you going to see the band in South Korea? I am considering that, if I find a cheap flight from Europe (which might be difficult).

I am currently in a hotel in Madrid and tomorrow I catch a flight to Prague. Really curious about tonight's show in Mexico!

And I have PLENTY of information on The Cure's show in Lima. Will share that later! :)

Im good mate. A little busy with my job at current. So glad that I can still follow the band update here. Miss them so much. South Korea, it's in my thought though..will check upon finishing all the work. Been there in the festival website, but its all in Korean. Pretty sad.

Cant wait for the PLENTY info. Say that they are having a tour closer to us in Asia. It will rock my year!

U take care. I'm listening to the Peru set list now. hehe.

"Thick As Shit"

dsanchez

Happiness only real when shared
by dsanchez

Puta madre! is an expression that has different meanings in the Spanish language. One of the meanings would be "I can't believe it". It's then no surprise why this expression was repeated again and again during The Cure's gig in Lima. When the band hit the stage, or when they played "Push" or "Open" that's what the audience felt: Puta madre! – (I can't believe they're playing finally in my town!).

The Cure is quite famous in South America, and so is in Peru. After Depeche Mode played Lima during their Tour of The Universe, The Cure was the only big band missing.

There were too many rumors in the last decade, but when Robert said last year that the band was touring South America in April, I guess most Peruvians thought "it's now or never"

Living in Europe, I had the chance to see the band eight times before Lima's show. Of course, I will never forget Hamburg's 2002 show –my first Cure show- neither the outstanding 'Reflections' in London 2011. But The Cure's in Lima was just too special, and was for me like a second first time (if that ever exists). Seeing the band in your town, with the people you discovered their music with (I went to the gig with some of my friends from the Salesiano school, the place where I discovered this music), is priceless.

It's hard to describe in a few words the whole experience of seeing The Cure. It all started the day before when we met Tim Pope at the gathering we organized. Never in my life I thought I could shake hands with the creator of The Cure's best concert video ever – In Orange. And the next day, I went early in the morning (around 08h30) to meet some people from Curefans.com and other friends to organize us at the queue, because Peruvians are mad: some people had tents outside the venue since several days before the concert date! (in Europe you just need to arrive a few hours before the show to get a good place). At almost 18h00 (after waiting like 10 hours in a very sunny day) the doors finally opened. The waiting was worth it, because we got to be very close to the stage.

Shortly after our entrance, the first support band, Kinder, appeared on stage and they did a great job. Their music, a combination of Mogwai and Dif Juz was approved by the crowd, except for an annoying guy who was screaming all the time "Dolores Delirio", the local band he wanted to see on stage. 19h30 was the turn for Resplandor (a famous shoegaze band in Peru), and to our surprise, the frontman, Antonio Zelada, didn't appear. His place was taken by a beautiful girl who sung and played the bass guitar. Antonio was in the right side of the stage taking pictures instead. Their show was good, too, but not as good as Kinder's performance, in my opinion.

The Cure was supposed to hit the stage at 20h30. Instead, they appeared at 20h50. It seems the organizers were waiting for more people to come in. The stadium looked packed (see photo below) and it seems there were nearly 40,000 out of a 42,000 venue capacity; one of the highest attendances of the LatAm2013 Tour (and, to give you an idea, two times more people than the highest attendance of the 2008's 4Tour in Europe. That was Paris Bercy with just a 20,000 attendance).

When the notes of "Tape" started to roll and the lights were turned off, I could feel the collective hysteria
. More Puta madre!, more screamings, more claps, more tears. Unlike some countries in Europe, it's totally normal for South American fans to sing along with the band (and anyway, if you're seeing The Cure for first time in your life, I can hardly imagine that one would just look static and stare at them).

And the concert opened with "Open" and the screams multiplied. People hugging each other, crying, screaming, dancing, singing. They couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe it. I looked around: yes, that's my city's stadium, and that's my favourite band and those are my friends. What else could I need? And the line of Jesus and Mary Chain's Head On came to my mind: And the way I feel tonight, I could die and wouldn't mind.

I won't comment too much on the setlist which is well known and very similar to the one used in the last European Summer tour. Instead, I could say which songs drove more people mad: those would be "Push", "Pictures of you", "A Forest", "Play For Today" and of course the pop (popular) songs which I don't need to mention. Do I?

A special mention to Robert's effort for trying a Peruvian's zampoña at the beginning of "Bananafishbones". He also dedicated "A Forest" to Gary Biddles (who died recently) a one time a onetime roadie for The Cure who sang in Fools Dance and Presence in the '80s and '90.
Before the final encore, Jason did an impromptu (something unusual on Cure shows), followed by the smiles of the band.

The two final songs of the night were celebrated with total euphoria. People did a pogo during "10:15 Saturday Night" and specially during "Killing An Arab", I guess everyone knew at this point that that was the last of the show and so everybody danced, screamed and did pogo like a crazy, like if it was the end of the world.

That night was one of the highlights of my life. There was The Cure, and there were my long time friends and some very fine people I met. As I learned when I watched "Into The Wild", happiness is only real when shared. I think what I lived, is a vivid example of this. Thank you, The Cure, Thank you, my friends.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo