avi - mpeg

Started by crowbi_wan, March 01, 2006, 04:56:12

Previous topic - Next topic

crowbi_wan

i just converted an avi video to mpeg using fxmpeg writer.  the video turned out fantastic, but there was no f'ing sound!  :evil:  oh, and it only took 22 hours!!!  does anyone have any idea what i did wrong?  perhaps a different converter?  i hate this crap  :smt017

-brian

japanesebaby

i don't if this helps at all, since i'm a mac user and not exactly familiar with that program. but i've used what i consider to be the mac equivalent  to fxmpeg which is called ffmpeg, and actually used to have that same problem sometimes. then i noticed that there was an option in the audio preferences panel saying simply 'audio track' and offering choices from 0 to 9. 0 seemed to be the default for some reason and it had to be changed to 1 in order to get the sound. but sometimes i get the sound even if it's set to 0, sometimes i don't (sometimes i've simply forgotten to change that setting :oops:  but i've still got the audio track) so i've never really grasped it completely.  :smt017
(isn't there also this '5 sec test clip' option somewhere in the options panel in fxmpeg too? that reallysaves a lot of time when you don't have to sit around and wait for hours for something to be done and then notice that it all went completely wrong. because mpeg conversions can drive you mad, believe me, i know...  :wink: )

sorry if this doesn't help at all, like i said i might be talking about a slightly different program here.

marika
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

crowbi_wan

thanks for the help marika.  i decided to try a different program at the advice of cult_hero.  TMPGEnc 3.0 did the trick.  video and audio turned out great!   :D and best of all, it didn't take a day to xfer. ;-)

-brian

japanesebaby

glad you found a solution, probably a good choice that you made with TMPEGnc.
i don't actually use that ffmpeg either for anything else anymore than converting some short clips for daily purposes. it actually does that pretty handy. but i don't really trust it for anything more serious, like making some permanent mpeg conversions in order to put on a dvd. i remember reading a thread somewhere on some video forum (sorry, i just can't find it anymore) where someone pointed out that ffmpeg/fxmpeg isn't the best choice. he had some calculations concerning the file sizes made with a couple of programs and he was suspecting that this program actually seemed 'lose some data' somewhere in the process because it produced somewhat smaller files than it should have done. now this is all of course just a speculation and a hear-say. i never looked into it any more seriously so i really cannot tell. but since there are lots of other options available maybe one shouldn't stick with something that doesn't look  entirely promising.

marika

(i guess there're lots of options for compression programs for pc. for mac users - if there are any :wink:  - i'd suggest to get dvd studio pro, which comes with a professionally equipped compressor. i'm still only in the process of learning how to use it myself too, but so far it looks nothing but good.)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

cult_hero

Quote from: crowbi_wanthanks for the help marika.  i decided to try a different program at the advice of cult_hero.  TMPGEnc 3.0 did the trick.  video and audio turned out great!   :D and best of all, it didn't take a day to xfer. ;-)

-brian

:smt023