Simple Minds - 1980.03.23 Amsterdam, Melkweg [FM] *excellent quality*

Started by japanesebaby, October 10, 2008, 09:26:59

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

amazing quality for such an early minds show :shock:
plus it's a complete show, not the truncated version found on bootleg.

the set list is mostly songs from the first two albums, including an (bit odd) encore set with velvet underground/david bowie/iggy pop covers.

QuoteSimple Minds - Melkweg Amsterdam March 23 1980 FM recording

The complete FM recording from the March 23 1980 show at the Melkweg in Amsterdam.
7 tracks are used for the "Life in a day" bootleg but here's the real thing.

1. Capital City
2. Here Comes The Fool
3. Calling Your Name
4. Life In A Day
5. Premonition
6. Citizen and Factory
7. Changeling
8. Pleasantly Disturbed
9. White Light/White Heat
10. Pablo Picasso
11. Sister Midnight/Room

75 minutes

Jim Kerr - Vocals
Charles Burchell - guitar
Derek Forbes - Bass
Brian McGee - Drums
Michael McNeil - Keyboards

CDR> EAC secure mode> Flac level 8> You

part 1

part 2

part 3

originally shared on dime by Borland - many thanks to him :D
you can still grab this show from dime too if preferred:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=187801

please don't convert to lossy formats unless for your own personal ipod etc.
thanks.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 10, 2008, 09:26:59

The complete FM recording from the March 23 1980 show at the Melkweg in Amsterdam.
7 tracks are used for the "Life in a day" bootleg but here's the real thing.

1. Capital City
2. Here Comes The Fool
3. Calling Your Name
4. Life In A Day
5. Premonition
6. Citizen and Factory
7. Changeling
8. Pleasantly Disturbed
10. Pablo Picasso
11. Sister Midnight/Room

It's a bit weird that they started with "Capital City". It doesn't have that "opener quality", I think... Maybe they hadn't yet developed that kind of "set building"? It reminds me now that U2 did have the same kind of shortcoming for quite a while... Back in 1983 they happenes to open their shows with "Surrender", which is not only one of the weakest songs on "War" but also has absolutely no characteristics of an opener (the only situation when it would make sense as an opener would be if the crowd was in such a riot mood that the band would need anything to calm them down - now, that song would surely cool them  :-D). Well, actually even as far as 1987, before "When the Streets Have No Name" became a staple, U2 managed to open their shows with stuff like "Trip Through Your Wires", again, no real "opener" either.

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 10, 2008, 09:26:59

I forgot to say that this one is among my favourite Velvet Underground songs ever. A classic.

By the way, how good were Simple Minds with covers at that time? Their cover versions album "Neon Lights" is supposed to be a real deception, from what I've read...

japanesebaby

well perhaps i haven't heard enough examples but i'd say they weren't much of a cover band - a bit similarly to u2 and the cure, imo. jim kerr trying to sing in a "rocky" sort of way is just somehow... weird. his own style is so different... i'm glad he sticked to that.
the encore here is a curiosity though, therefore worth a listen. of the three cover songs i like 'pablo picasso' most, 'white light/white heat' the least.

"neon lights" - well i wonder why they even made that one. just one of those many many unnecessary cover albums out there.
are there any really good "covers only" albums out there at all?
(i mean albums where only one band is covering other artists, not some sort of tribute compilations)

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 17, 2008, 13:19:37

(i mean albums where only one band is covering other artists, not some sort of tribute compilations)

I thought abou this for awhile and here's what I came up with...

"Play Kurt Well" is a very good 1991 Young Gods album exclusively with covers of Kurt Weill songs. They are quite radical at it: they more or less keep the structure of the song, they respect the lyrics (to the point that they sing the songs in their original languages - German included), but the sonic treatment is radicacly different... And more often than not they just keep the suggestion of the main melody, not the melody itself (which means that probably most Kurt Weill songs hate these versions).

"World Gone Wrong" (1993) is a surprsingly good Bob Dylan album that marked the return to his folk roots. It's all acoustic (some great guitar playing in there) and the songs are rather obscure folk or blues tunes.

"Kicking Against the Pricks" (1996) is not as great as other Nick Cave albums of the era and is a bit uneven both in style and in quality of the versions (or maybe it's just some of the original songs that are a bit corny and the Bad Seeds are unable to to give them a radical twist), but all in all, is a recommendable album with a few really good covers ("Hey Joe", "I'm gonn akill the woman", "All tommorrow's parties"...).

Then there's also "Through The Looking Glass" by Siouxsie & The Banshees, but this one I have to admit is uneven. Some of it is really good ("This Wheel's on Fire, "The Passenger", "Strange Fruit"...) but about half the album is more or less just average.

In addition, Cat Power is supposed to have a really good covers album ("The Covers Record", including versions of the Stones, Lou Reed, Bob Dylan and more), but I have never checked it...

DroidAKov

The Cat Power album is pretty decent as is Christopher O'Rileys instrumental Radiohead covers album.

Other than that only the Blues Brothers soundtrack comes to mind....

japanesebaby

Quote from: revolt on October 20, 2008, 11:55:55
Quote from: japanesebaby on October 17, 2008, 13:19:37

I thought abou this for awhile and here's what I came up with...

"Play Kurt Well" is a very good 1991 Young Gods album exclusively with covers of Kurt Weill songs. They are quite radical at it: they more or less keep the structure of the song, they respect the lyrics (to the point that they sing the songs in their original languages - German included), but the sonic treatment is radicacly different... And more often than not they just keep the suggestion of the main melody, not the melody itself (which means that probably most Kurt Weill songs hate these versions).

"World Gone Wrong" (1993) is a surprsingly good Bob Dylan album that marked the return to his folk roots. It's all acoustic (some great guitar playing in there) and the songs are rather obscure folk or blues tunes.

"Kicking Against the Pricks" (1996) is not as great as other Nick Cave albums of the era and is a bit uneven both in style and in quality of the versions (or maybe it's just some of the original songs that are a bit corny and the Bad Seeds are unable to to give them a radical twist), but all in all, is a recommendable album with a few really good covers ("Hey Joe", "I'm gonn akill the woman", "All tommorrow's parties"...).

Then there's also "Through The Looking Glass" by Siouxsie & The Banshees, but this one I have to admit is uneven. Some of it is really good ("This Wheel's on Fire, "The Passenger", "Strange Fruit"...) but about half the album is more or less just average.

In addition, Cat Power is supposed to have a really good covers album ("The Covers Record", including versions of the Stones, Lou Reed, Bob Dylan and more), but I have never checked it...

oops i must be dumb.  :oops: