2008.03.18 Rotterdam - Ahoy (The Netherlands) *Sold out*

Started by Tof, September 27, 2007, 17:40:41

Previous topic - Next topic

u-a-b-f

Quote from: aap on March 20, 2008, 15:39:39
yeah! it is!

i've recorded the show, gonna post it soon in the download section. anyone knows if more people recorded it?
I know about at least 2 more recordings -> http://www.cure-concerts.de/concerts/2008-03-18.php sure there were several more tapers there. Feel free to provide details about your recording  ;)

aap

okay, recorded with a zoom h4, would rate it a/a+ very good recording! if i may say so! but do you maybe know how i can get those recordings? thanks!!

u-a-b-f

Quote from: aap on March 20, 2008, 22:56:07
okay, recorded with a zoom h4, would rate it a/a+ very good recording! if i may say so! but do you maybe know how i can get those recordings? thanks!!

what mic did you use?
don't know if the other recordings will be shared anywhere, sorry.

aap

yeah, i used the very very good mics from the zoom itself. i can send you one number.. i'm working on the whole gig to upload it.

ph

This was the third time I saw The Cure (after Perth 2000 and the Brussels trilogy show in 2002), but only the first time in my home country and even hometown.

I've bought most of their output in the mid/late 90s save for one or two, but I've kind of lost touch with them in recent years. Therefore I hadn't bought a ticket in the pre-sales and actually it was only a couple of days before the gig when I stumbled on some recent setlists that I suddenly felt the urge to be there. Despite of it being sold out it wasn't too much trouble to get a ticket for the standing area for the normal price. Was it nostalgia? Maybe, but whatever it was I'm really glad I went.

When I walked into Ahoy' for the first time in years I was a bit worried if they could still enthrall me like back in the days. On top of that I've pretty much only been to small gigs the last few years where there's usually barely 100 people attending, so I wasn't sure how I'd feel about venues the size of Ahoy' nowadays. I was standing pretty far to the right, 2nd or 3rd row and about 10 meters away from Simon, but with a good view and the sound was pretty good from where I was standing, as opposed to some comments I've heard/read from people complaining they could barely hear Robert's singing. In fact, it struck me how remarkably strong his voice was, maybe better than I've ever heard him during a live show. I really liked the all-guitar-4-piece-lineup too, even though some songs obviously had some sort of backing tape providing the keyboards.

I was very happy with the setlist! The only thing that could have made it better for me was if, when RS announced "we can either do 4 songs from Faith or 6 of our most upbeat happy pop songs", they would actually have gone for the Faith songs... or both.
For a moment I couldn't believe my luck and I thought back of witnessing an encore with All Cats Are Grey and Faith in Perth eight years ago. But alas, Robert claimed something along the lines of being outnumbered by Porl and Simon wanting to go for the pop ones. The 3rd encore with Faith merging into A Forest was more than excellent though... and unexpected.

In short, I doubt I'll be interested in a new album, just like I've never listened to the last one... but the next time they're playing in Holland again, damn right I'll buy a ticket on the first day.

ph

Mr. Pink Eyes

Really great great concert.
I have been a fan for almost 7 years now, and I tell you this was the best concert I ever went to.

Perfect sound, Robert was in shape, so where Porl Simon and Jason.

1 thing didn't made me happy though.

Great setlist, but no "Play for Today", and I was so in the mood for that song. I would have prefered it over faith, since it's a great stadium song. I even practiced

LeipeDruyl

Has anybody "found" some complete recordings of this show yet? I've been desperately searching for it, since the day after the show.....

Anybody? Aap??
I will kiss you, I will kiss you, I will kiss you forever on nights like this

I will kiss you, I will kiss you, and we shall be together.....

nevyn

LeipeDruyl

I heard that too, but they're like closed for 2 centuries now.... I've been trying to get in for weeks now, without any luck. Do they have invites there? And if so could somebody send me an invite?

Any other places where this gig might show up?

LeipeDruyl

I've got it by now.... Got it from some-one thru slsk.... Not sure if it's Aap's version??

Anyway, I'm pleased with it, and should anybody want it, contact me......