guitars [lost flowers spin-off]

Started by Matti, February 06, 2009, 11:01:04

Previous topic - Next topic

sullen

Quote from: lostflower4 on June 01, 2009, 18:06:42
Quote from: sullen on May 31, 2009, 05:00:02
10 g's
what a bargain
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Fender-Bass-VI-1961_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem35a1b0ffc7QQitemZ230345998279QQptZGuitarQQsalenotsupported

i wish i got one of these years ago when they were cheaper.

If you can't afford the whole guitar, why not just buy a pickguard?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110397270978

:eek:

Seriously though, I think the Custom Shop versions made in the past few years are just as good as the early '60s models (and probably in a lot better condition too). They can be had for under $2000 if you're lucky.

this sucks.
i had a 90s MIJ in good shape with upgraded pickups lined up to buy, but seller changed his mind, i honsetly don't blame him, i wouldn't sell it either.
really trying to avoid buying one sight unseen on ebay and so rare one comes on the market locally.

i'd spend 2k at this point, but all im seeing for the new ones is 3k.
they were like a bit over 2k in 07 but the initial bad reviews scared me off, and did not see any in stores, should've just grabbed one then.
should've got one in the 90s too!!

i have the jaguar vi now, it's nice, but all in all, it's not a vi.
the search continues!!!

lostflower4

Quote from: sullen on June 02, 2009, 15:08:18this sucks.
i had a 90s MIJ in good shape with upgraded pickups lined up to buy, but seller changed his mind, i honsetly don't blame him, i wouldn't sell it either.
really trying to avoid buying one sight unseen on ebay and so rare one comes on the market locally.

they were like a bit over 2k in 07 but the initial bad reviews scared me off, and did not see any in stores, should've just grabbed one then.

the search continues!!!

I've probably said this before, but I would avoid the Japanese version simply because the body is made of basswood, which has a completely different tonality than alder. Robert even said this after trying one of the MIJ models.

Basswood can be good for some guitars, but if you're after the ultimate Cure sound I think it's pretty important to keep this in mind.

I wouldn't be too hesitant to buy a Custom Shop version from a reputable seller on eBay, but then again maybe I'm just crazy.  :lol:

This must have been quite the steal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370183386336

I have a Winter 2006 price list that shows them going for $3600 new!

Funny how this used one (from a seller with zero feedback at the time) ended up selling for more:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250414903002

sullen

Quote from: lostflower4 on June 02, 2009, 17:57:17
Quote from: sullen on June 02, 2009, 15:08:18this sucks.

the search continues!!!

I've probably said this before, but I would avoid the Japanese version simply because the body is made of basswood, which has a completely different tonality than alder. Robert even said this after trying one of the MIJ models.

Basswood can be good for some guitars, but if you're after the ultimate Cure sound I think it's pretty important to keep this in mind.

I wouldn't be too hesitant to buy a Custom Shop version from a reputable seller on eBay, but then again maybe I'm just crazy.  :lol:

Funny how this used one (from a seller with zero feedback at the time) ended up selling for more:

That was a friggin steal!!!
I gotta start watching ebay more often.
musicians friend had them for like either 2200 or 2400 at first.
there was a few bad reviews, decided not to buy one,
got the jaguar vi instead at that point as those were still being sold and they were only 700.
now the reviews are good and the prices are all 3k.
im happy with the jag vi but still want a bass vi.
i gotta keep an eye out on ebay more often, just freaks me out buying gear, especially guitars, from just pictures.
under 2k for a like new minty vi cant go wrong tho!

crowbi_wan

Quote from: sullen on June 03, 2009, 00:05:21
just freaks me out buying gear, especially guitars, from just pictures.

Yep.  I bought an Black Epi Alley Kat a few years back.  Was told it was in perfect condition.  Pictures looked good.  After receiving it I noticed a chip in the body that had been filled in and painted.  :evil:  Not a huge deal since I only paid $300 for it and it sounds great (the NY mini is a sweet p/u).  Had that been on something like a Les Paul or Bass VI I would have gone ape shit.  And really, even if it looks alright, you still never know until you play the thing. 

sullen

Quote from: crowbi_wan on June 03, 2009, 03:28:01

Yep.  I bought an Black Epi Alley Kat a few years back.  Was told it was in perfect condition.  Pictures looked good.  After receiving it I noticed a chip in the body that had been filled in and painted.  :evil:  Not a huge deal since I only paid $300 for it and it sounds great (the NY mini is a sweet p/u).  Had that been on something like a Les Paul or Bass VI I would have gone ape shit.  And really, even if it looks alright, you still never know until you play the thing. 

That sucks, nice guitar though.
Things like that is exactly why I'm trying to avoid!!

How much would a repaint devalue a 60s model?

lostflower4

Quote from: sullen on June 03, 2009, 23:01:05
Quote from: crowbi_wan on June 03, 2009, 03:28:01

Yep.  I bought an Black Epi Alley Kat a few years back.  Was told it was in perfect condition.  Pictures looked good.  After receiving it I noticed a chip in the body that had been filled in and painted.  :evil:  Not a huge deal since I only paid $300 for it and it sounds great (the NY mini is a sweet p/u).  Had that been on something like a Les Paul or Bass VI I would have gone ape shit.  And really, even if it looks alright, you still never know until you play the thing.  

That sucks, nice guitar though.
Things like that is exactly why I'm trying to avoid!!

Yeah, valid points. I've only gotten one mail order guitar before, and it turned out to be a good one. So perhaps I'm a bit too optimistic.

Even brand new guitars can vary quite a bit in quality. I remember visiting some random guitar shop in Los Angeles many years ago, and they had an amber Peavey EVH Wolfgang. It wasn't really my favorite color, but it must have been the best-playing guitar I have ever played in my life (it virtually played itself, it was so nice). I had played other Wolfgangs before, but none were quite like this.

It's a shame I wasn't in the market to buy one at the time, because when I decided to get one a year or so later I couldn't find one nearly this good at any of the local shops. So I ended up having a guitar custom built instead. Not saying I really regret that, but that Wolfgang I found in LA was one in a million!

Quote from: sullen on June 03, 2009, 23:01:05How much would a repaint devalue a 60s model?

Quite a bit. I made reference to this in one of my earlier posts:

http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,5977.msg60654.html#msg60654

But I guess it doesn't matter if you don't plan on re-selling it.  ;)

And it may very well land you a good deal if you find one like this (again, see my previous post). One had just better make sure it's a good finishing job. Some people know what they're doing with this sort of thing, and some people don't! :!:

At any rate, I don't like the sunburst color on these guitars. It's a shame that 99% of them seem to have been made this way.   :?

I used to have a sunburst Jazzmaster, and I just never thought it looked very good...

lostflower4

Here's something you almost never see, a 1970s model:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220445587493

I'd say this is way overpriced. Yes, it's "rare" but the quality of Fender stuff really suffered when they were owned by CBS corporation.

Quote from: lostflower4 on June 02, 2009, 17:57:17I wouldn't be too hesitant to buy a Custom Shop version from a reputable seller on eBay, but then again maybe I'm just crazy.  :lol:

That was a friggin steal!!!
I gotta start watching ebay more often.
musicians friend had them for like either 2200 or 2400 at first.
there was a few bad reviews, decided not to buy one,
got the jaguar vi instead at that point as those were still being sold and they were only 700.
now the reviews are good and the prices are all 3k.
im happy with the jag vi but still want a bass vi.
i gotta keep an eye out on ebay more often, just freaks me out buying gear, especially guitars, from just pictures.
under 2k for a like new minty vi cant go wrong tho!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290329326104

Matti

I'm not sure whether this is still on topic, butsince this is also about sound I thought I'd post something I've found in an old Magazine I stumbled over recently (Guitar Player April 2000). It's an interview in which Robert states the following:

QuoteI also used a '60s Fender 6-string bass a lot. I bought one of the new ones when they started remaking them, but they're really midlle-y sounding. They weigh about half as much, so obviously they're not going to sund the same. [...]the original '60s models are really solid, heavy guitars. If I ever break mine, I don't know what I'm going to do. Give up, I suppose!* [...]

How do you get your signature 6-string bass sound?
It has always gone through the same three Boss pedals - a digital delay and a chorus, with a touch of noise gate to cut off the delay. And I always play through the same early-'80s Peavey Ultra head and 4x12 cabinet.** The 6-string bass sound is the one thing that has stayed the same since the Faith album in 1981. I've never changed the setup, because I always thought it sounded really good. It's like a cello for me - a really perfect sound.

On the Peavy, the middle is rolled off completely, the bass is half up, the treble is full up, and the presence is set at about half. This really reflects my character, but things are invariably set to 0, 5, or 10 on my amps. I never go for anything inbetween, because that's fussing about, and it never gets you anywhere.

*...or simply change the brand.
** As crowbi_wan suggested, that seems to be gone as well.
and we close our eyes to sleep
to dream a boy and girl
who dream the world is nothing but a dream

lostflower4

Ah, that's the article I was referencing earlier in this topic — about how the '90s Japanese re-issues had too much midrange because of the different wood used for the body. Basswood is much lighter than alder, and has a different tonal quality in general.

QuoteThe 6-string bass sound is the one thing that has stayed the same since the Faith album in 1981. I've never changed the setup, because I always thought it sounded really good. It's like a cello for me - a really perfect sound.

So I guess Robert woke up one day and decided he didn't like the sound of the cello anymore.  :(

sullen

this guy is a major douche but this bass sounds so good:
1963 Fender Bass VI

Matti

Quote from: sullen on May 07, 2010, 21:55:30
this guy is a major douche but this bass sounds so good

...and dare I say You're absoutely and undeniably right about both of your observations.
to dream a boy and girl

lostflower4

Quote from: Matti on May 10, 2010, 16:59:22
Quote from: sullen on May 07, 2010, 21:55:30
this guy is a major douche but this bass sounds so good

...and dare I say You're absoutely and undeniably right about both of your observations.

:lol:

But yeah, that's a sweet axe. Love the color especially (seafoam green). They say it was one of only two made that year. I think the other 99% were sunburst, with a handful of other colors.  :roll:

It does sound good in that video, but it just goes to show how unique The Cure are (were) in giving the instrument a distinct personality. Most people, even Peter Hook to a lesser extent, play it like a traditional bass with a more or less "normal" sound.

dsanchez

Not a Fender but a Music Man Stingray, the bass guitar used by Simon during the 1985-1987 and the nicest one he has ever used in my opinion.

The guy on the video, what an awesome play!

Improvisation in the Bass Music Man Sting Ray by Wagner
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

sullen

Custom shop is making them again!!!

Matti

Well, I think the Fender Custom Shop has been making them ever since, albeit only on order. I remember talking to a local guitar retailer seven or eight years ago (I had seen a VI in one of their catalogues) and they basically said to me "The Custom Shop will build you whatever you want, but be prepared for the shop's purchase price (not the retail price) to be at least 5000 €."

Btw, the douche's VI from sullen's clip is on sale for only 22,500 $...

Edit: for all of those interested in the "Fender VI and similar instruments" topic, I'd recommend the following links:

BassVI.org

Talkbass Forum on short-scale six-strings (take a little time, the thread has 100+ pages)
to dream a boy and girl