All those Ddddddd and Aaaa???

Started by crowbi_wan, April 09, 2006, 02:37:43

Previous topic - Next topic

crowbi_wan

I've been trying to figure out the generation codes used by many traders.  Aud 0, Ddddd, Aaaaa and what not.  Let me see if I got it.  Say I get a show that was recorded on a cassette player and then copied to another tape, copied to a cd, copied to another cd, and then i got it in flac and made a cd out of it.  would this be Aadddd?  So confusing  :smt120 does flac equal one d and myconversion to audio cd (wav) equal another?  it's like a foreign language.  hmmmmm, maybe i should've posted this in that category.

japanesebaby

there are certainly differences in how different traders put some of these. i am not an expert in this but as someone (thanks! ;-) ) once kindly instructed me while i was trying to figure out this very same thing (and what i too felt was a tangle of some major crypticism sometimes  :wink: ), then only the "hard evidence" should count here. so only when the sound/files are frozen in some concrete form like cassette or cd, then you add a d or an a, according to whether it was analogue (cassette) or digital (dat, cd, md) format that you used. so flac doesn't add anything in there (and that's also why people trade in flac, since it doesn't add any d's to the lineage - as long as you just don't burn it to wav in between).
so master cs>cs>cd>cd would be Aadd and also stays so if you got it in flac at this point. if you burn these flac files to cd then you should remember to add one more d in there.
i hope this helps.

marika
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

crowbi_wan

thanks marika.  that helps out a ton.  i used to not save my flac files,but recently found out that was frowned upon.  now, it all makes sense.  i've been burning my flac as i get them so as to keep the d's to a minimum.  where i'm going to find a place to keep all of the extr discs, that's another problem.

japanesebaby

it's true that many people seem to throw away the flac files and consider them as if they were just some temporary storage format (like .zip or .rar!), but one should always keep especially those.  :!:

Quote from: crowbi_wanwhere i'm going to find a place to keep all of the extr discs, that's another problem.

just make sure you have an endless supply of blank dvds and also get an extra 300 GB hard drive to start with (and also be prepared to buy another one in about three months...)

8)

lostflower4

I agree with Marika. FLAC and WAV don't add D's as far as I'm concerned. So it's actually possible to download shows just as "D" provided they are properly transferred to digital and never burned to CD beforehand.

I also hold the idea that all FLAC files should be saved. It's actually much less prone to errors than CD-R's, which can get scratched and things like that. But if you scratch up a data disc too bad, your files won't even copy. That's actually some good error protection. :lol:

All my FLAC shows are backed up to DVD-R on a regular basis and then stored away in jewel cases in a safe place. If I would make a CD-R of something, that would actually be more of a temporary format (for the car or something). And then you can always make new ones from the original FLAC files if necessary.

japanesebaby

an addition about AU 0, AU 1 and so on. people generally mean to show the overall number of the "bad" generations, which are analogue generations. so AU 0 is the purest version of an analogue recording since it would be something that begins with Ad...(=only one analogue copy, which is the master here). whereas AU 1 would be Aad.. (master cs(0)>cs(1)>after that digital generations).
the same goes with DAT or MD, so DAT 1 would be something that starts with Dad... etc (dat>cs>after that digital generations)

but i've understood that some people seem to use the same thing to show the number of generations in certain format, and then DAT 1 would mean something like a DAT master(0)>DAT clone(1)>etc.
so it can be quite confusing sometimes, really...  :roll:

marika