Gspace - A new way to trade

Started by crowbi_wan, October 14, 2007, 04:13:13

Previous topic - Next topic

crowbi_wan

I'm sure many of us have done some trading via FTP, right?  Unfortunately, not everyone has a server.  There's a new Firefox add-on called "Gspace" I've been using lately that works just like FTP.  Gspace works only when using Firefox.  All you need to do is download and install the plug-in  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1593  After doing so, your gmail account will now have 2.8 GB of space for you to store files.  What you can do then is give the person you are trading with you account info.  They sign in and download the files.  It's that easy.  I really like trading this way as going to the post office is too time consuming and shipping becomes costly.  Another nice thing about Gspace (besides the huge space they give you) is you can upload/download a bit at a time.  I seem to recall some having trouble with megaupload in that the program would get stuck or just quit running.  You should have no issue with this when using Gspace.  Give it a try guys.  It's really quite easy.  Hopefully, I'll have some free time coming up for trading and will be looking to do things without filling out envelopes and custom forms. 

j

I assume that you need a gmail account for this as well?  It's free, so it is no big deal.

crowbi_wan

yeah, you'll need a gmail account, which is free. 

Are Mac users able to browse with Firefox?  I wasn't sure if it's Windows only.  Hopefully Gspace is something all users wil be able to use.

Bloodflower

I'm on a Mac and use Firefox, but I'm not sure if add-ons have universal inter-OS functionality. I think I might've read that some of them don't (though the ones that I use, I only use because they worked on my old PC).

Forgive me, but what does FTP stand for?
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

crowbi_wan

japanesebaby

Quote from: Bloodflower on October 14, 2007, 06:56:14
I'm on a Mac and use Firefox, but I'm not sure if add-ons have universal inter-OS functionality. I think I might've read that some of them don't (though the ones that I use, I only use because they worked on my old PC).

yep. the same problem. :? i'm usually not a complete dummy with computer things but i don't know how to make my computer recognize a file with something called .xpi extension and i don't get the installation instruction on that site either. judging from which i think it looks like some pc-only stuff to me

i hope people won't start relying on these too much and maybe even insist on someone using such a pc-only directed service or something since it makes things difficult for people running on other OS (mac or linux).
just like people sharing/sending you pc-only zip/split applications like Gsplit: it's nice to have downloaded something only to notice that one can't open the files anyway.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine