Remixes that butcher the original song

Started by Andy, September 10, 2005, 12:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

nausearockpig

It's being re-released as a Remaster isn't it??

Bloodflower

That's the plan, last we heard. It's meant to see re-release alongside Disintegration, Entreat, Wish, Show, and Paris. I'm desperately awaiting them....

*Crosses fingers for double/triple CD versions of Entreat, Show, and Paris*
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

nausearockpig

hmmmm. i reckon you're clutching at straws there with Show Paris and Entreat. i heard it was Mixed Up, Disintegration, Wish & WMS as Bloodflowers was mastered at the remaster "level" if you know what i mean..

japanesebaby

Quote from: nausearockpig on August 06, 2008, 08:10:11
hmmmm. i reckon you're clutching at straws there with Show Paris and Entreat. i heard it was Mixed Up, Disintegration, Wish & WMS as Bloodflowers was mastered at the remaster "level" if you know what i mean..

http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,4244.msg41171.html#msg41171

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

revolt

'Mixed Up' was kind of a pioneering thing in that back in 1990 this sort of album was not usual at all!

Anyway, probably some songs are more "remixable" than others. A remix of "Faith" or "Plainsong" would possibly sound useless or horrible, but then it all depends on the genius of the remixer and the way he/she goes about it.

There are a few songs on mixed-up that at least sound good: 'Close to Me', 'A Forest', 'Caterpillar'... And the extended mixes (probably shouldn't be called remixes in the proper sense) of 'Lullaby' and 'Lovesong' are also well done, for instance. So, even if, overall, 'Mixed Up' doesn't reach the quality level of a normal CURE album, I think it is fair to say that it accomplishes its purposes in a more or less classy way.

Cure Freak

Quote from: nausearockpig on August 06, 2008, 00:59:02
Quote from: Cure Freak on August 06, 2008, 00:39:28
Quote from: meatfeeder on September 10, 2005, 15:00:55
Mixed Up was a terrible idea! ,The Cure just ain't a Remix kind of band their songs should just be left alone!
i agree
that's interesting. Mixed Up is the first release I heard from The Cure other than Never Enough. It's what prompted me to go back and listen to the originals and eventually fall in love with the music. It sounds a bit dated now but I loved it back then and I still listen to it on occasion now.

PS you'll hate the new EP that's due then ;-)
You said the word hate. As I said,in anoother thread, I don't hate any Cure song.
I'm  just disappointed in the way the songs were handled in Mixed Up. And I know this was more of an experimental thing and I'm all for bands trying new things with their songs. It just thaty I didn't think The Cure did a good job.
And as for the new LP. I'm disappointed in the songs that I have come out, as singles, so far.

nausearockpig

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 06, 2008, 11:18:07

hmmmm... tasty foot

nausearockpig

Quote from: revolt on August 06, 2008, 11:55:16
'Mixed Up' was kind of a pioneering thing in that back in 1990 this sort of album was not usual at all!

Anyway, probably some songs are more "remixable" than others. A remix of "Faith" or "Plainsong" would possibly sound useless or horrible, but then it all depends on the genius of the remixer and the way he/she goes about it.

There are a few songs on mixed-up that at least sound good: 'Close to Me', 'A Forest', 'Caterpillar'... And the extended mixes (probably shouldn't be called remixes in the proper sense) of 'Lullaby' and 'Lovesong' are also well done, for instance. So, even if, overall, 'Mixed Up' doesn't reach the quality level of a normal CURE album, I think it is fair to say that it accomplishes its purposes in a more or less classy way.
I agree..
I for one would like to see a Mixed Up II or shall we say "Mixed Down"... with other mixes.. hell make it a triple CD!!

japanesebaby

i agree with revolt too.
the 90's were so full of everyone making "easy" remix albums (if not officially released  then there were bootleg versions) that it's easy to forget how much of a pioneering thing 'mixed up' really was. i guess it was (and sometimes still is?) too much of a surprise to many that of all the bands out there it was the cure who showed the way there.

Quote from: nausearockpig on August 07, 2008, 00:54:48
Quote from: japanesebaby on August 06, 2008, 11:18:07

hmmmm... tasty foot

:?:

nausearockpig

was saying that i put my foot in my mouth when i said that those other records weren't being remastered...

japanesebaby

Quote from: nausearockpig on August 07, 2008, 09:13:20
was saying that i put my foot in my mouth when i said that those other records weren't being remastered...

i see. you know since i'm just a poor non-english speaker by birth so sometimes "my english is very small", like they say.  :)

(it tasted good?)

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 07, 2008, 09:27:34
Quote from: nausearockpig on August 07, 2008, 09:13:20

i see. you know since i'm just a poor non-english speaker by birth so sometimes "my english is very small", like they say.  :)

(it tasted good?)

Well, tasting feet seems to be a sort of Cure speciality or something like that. Remember "Why Can't I Be You?" ("I'll kiss you from your FEET to where your head begins")...  ;) :-D

nausearockpig

@ Japanesebaby: LOL
@ Revolt: Throw Your Foot

japanesebaby

Quote from: nausearockpig on August 07, 2008, 11:12:47
@ Revolt: Throw Your Foot

possibly related:

taste the taste in your mouth
taste the taste  on your tongue...

(screw)

and/or:

wake up in the dark
the aftertaste of... feet(?) in the back of your mouth

well ok i might remember some of the lyrics wrong...
:-P

nausearockpig

aftertaste of anger... i suppose feet can be angry!!