Signatures and images inside posts

Started by dsanchez, January 25, 2008, 16:54:56

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 24, 2008, 21:17:48
it might be good to remember that including lots of pics (especially large pics) in your message body can considerably slow down the uploading of that whole page. and for people viewing the site with slower connection than you this might become troublesome. so it often might be better to use attachment option for any larger images/for several images.

Yes. Including pics in the messages itself is not recommended, as it would turn our site into a kind of myspace community.

-For including relevant pictures you have the attach option
-For including non-relevant pictures, you may post a link to the picture
-For including pictures of you, or The Cure gigs you're planning to go, the gallery is the best option.

The above recommendations are not Curefans.com official rules, but it's my opinion about how things should be. Just my opinion :roll:

I take the oppportunity to encourage the people having huge images on their signatures to remove them (this is my personal opinion). The site should be as fast and "clean" as possible. A one or 2 text-line of signature is advisable.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Carnage Visor

Oh, oops...I think we all do that at the moment.

At least in the "create a band" thread...most often.  :)

Steve

Sorry David.
I feel a bit guilty now... :oops:
I just used the insert image icon & bingo it worked.
For those I slowed down the site for, I apologise... :cry:
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

rubcure

A small one like mine is okay? :?:

Sorry I didn't know  :oops:
[center][size=10pt][font=arial][color=black]"...and the way the rain comes down hard is how i feel inside..."[/color][/font][/size][/center]

dsanchez

Quote from: Steve on January 25, 2008, 19:28:58
For those I slowed down the site for, I apologise... :cry:

Do not worry, actually if the image is hosted in another server, it does not affect the site bandwith. Personally I just complain if there's an excesive use of images in posts, or if the user's signatures have a HUUUUGE image :roll:
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Quote from: rubcure on January 25, 2008, 20:55:19
A small one like mine is okay? :?:

If you ask for my opinion, the "...and the way the rain comes down hard is how i feel inside..." would be nice enough in your signature :D
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Carnage Visor

Okay, I am sorry about the giant signature thing...I had no idea it would make things not work right...very sorry.

I will shrink it in size, will that make it better?  :?

japanesebaby

well, i'd be all pro "text-only" signatures, like david suggested above.
and just because it makes the forum a lot cleaner and sharper looking and a lot less like a mine field of advertisement or something.
it's a lot easier to read the forum when there's no extra decorations here and there. after all, everyone has an avatar anyway so there's a possibility to choose a pic of your choice anyway. and want more pics?: posting a text link to your myspace might really be a good idea.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

dsanchez

Quote from: Carnage Visor on January 25, 2008, 22:33:06
I will shrink it in size, will that make it better?  :?

"A freshly squashed fly, You mean nothing..." text alone, and without image, would be just perfect.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

iwannashagsimon

Sorry to sound rude, but I'm not getting rid of my siggy pic for no one.  It has special meaning to me. :-D

dsanchez

Quote from: iwannashagsimon on January 26, 2008, 01:17:27
Sorry to sound rude, but I'm not getting rid of my siggy pic for no one.  It has special meaning to me. :-D

But your signature has the exact dimensions for an avatar. Wouldn't be better for your avatar instead? :D
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

iwannashagsimon

Yeah, but my avi's got many Simons in it. And lots of Simons are fine by me. :smth023

rubcure

Now I've changed my signature (no more images) :-D just a little move
:smth100 do you know how could I make it a little slower?

P.S. iwannashagsimon You are really in love of Simon.  :D
[center][size=10pt][font=arial][color=black]"...and the way the rain comes down hard is how i feel inside..."[/color][/font][/size][/center]

japanesebaby

Quote from: iwannashagsimon on January 26, 2008, 08:28:27
Yeah, but my avi's got many Simons in it. :smth023

do you mean you can't use it as an avatar because the file is too big and it's rejected? in that case i don't know what you mean because for instance my animated avatar is a larger file than your simon animation. so if my avatar doesn't have too many roberts then i don't think the problem could be that your animation has too many simons.
besides: my avatar has 33 frames and it's 204 KBs in size - works ok. your simon animation only has 24 frames and it 132 KBs in total size. :?:
the only difference is that my avatar's 100 x 76 pixels, your simon is 149 x 133. if 149 is the source of the problem, then just resize every frame in your animation something slightly smaller and try again. anyway it should work as an avatar, i see no reason why it shouldn't.
just try it!

(2000th post  :smth095)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

CureCrusader

Quote from: iwannashagsimon on January 26, 2008, 01:17:27

i like the siggy pic iwannashagsimon!!  :P

just wondering should I need to change my signature cos it has more than 2 lines?  :?
Who am I? Who are you? Is this world what we percieve it to be? Do we even exist?