keyboards or tapes??

Started by ernest newman, February 21, 2008, 17:53:35

Previous topic - Next topic

carycameron

Quote from: scatcat on February 23, 2008, 07:28:53
@melly.. don't worry, Osos not a fan..  :shock:

yes, sounds like was a fan long time ago not anymore.
but then why come on here then ....doesn't make sense to me

Oso Blanco

I'm sorry, I hadn't noticed that this forum had become so religious that only people who won't oppose the mighty Robert Smith are allowed to write their opinion.

While living in your little church and praising the Bob, have you ever noticed that there is a world outside your window?
Time is the fire in which we burn ...

scatcat

Quote from: Oso Blanco on February 23, 2008, 11:01:35
I'm sorry, I hadn't noticed that this forum had become so religious that only people who won't oppose the mighty Robert Smith are allowed to write their opinion.

While living in your little church and praising the Bob, have you ever noticed that there is a world outside your window?

thank you soo much for smiting us !!  :evil:
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

[labyrinth]

hey guys, easy  :-D
here everyone is free to express his own opinion.

surely, there is no point to criticize The Cure all that, yes, we could argue about the thing of no keyboards, about Jason , about the postponed tour in USA... etc.

but really, not with "closed mind" .
i mean, as someone said before , they've been playing for 30 Years... there is no band in the world which still play with this passion and for all that time (3 hours !!!!! find me another band playing for all that time after 30 years) and this is how they are now. stop.
there is no use to say "the old cure were better" , it's just a question of opinion.

and about the tapes or the "hiding" member : there is NO band in the world that doesn't use this kind of stuff.
the trouble is when the major part of instruments is not played but "recorded" ...that's the problem,
when you have only some "sounds" and things like those... well, where is the problem?

Secrets

Oso does have a point.

The latter performances had become quite clinical by the Trilogy-era.  Not to mention Roger's statements about the Acoustic sessions being pre-recorded and mimed too (I'm not concerned either way on that particular performance).

The joy of seeing a live band, for me, is to see how a song is interpreted in a live context, rather than replicated slavishly to the recorded versions.

That said, the band have recently had Porl transposing many keyboard parts to guitar. Now this certainly hasn't been to everyone's liking, and at times of questionable success, but it certainly seems to have energized the band in a live situation, and damn if I didn't half enjoy some of Porl's funky jazzy noodlings on some of the familiar pop pieces.  I found it quite refreshing and quite daring of the band.  It wasn't that long ago that peeps were complaining about Just Like Heaven being played all the time and sounding very tired and staid.

I did notice there are still some sequenced pieces floating around, but they did seem less obtrusive and prevelant than they had in recent years. May well they continue to slide from view as Rob's confidence with this lineup increases.

[labyrinth]

Quote from: Secrets on February 23, 2008, 14:58:26
The joy of seeing a live band, for me, is to see how a song is interpreted in a live context, rather than replicated slavishly to the recorded versions.

that's it!

Pooka

I'd take the Trilogy sets over anything 2005-2008.

scatcat

Quote from: [labyrinth] on February 23, 2008, 15:49:27

that's it!

Live is always the test... it beats most recordings, IMHO.
Doesn't matter if they have someone hidden under the stage, performing sequences!!  :smth023
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

[labyrinth]

Quote from: scatcat on February 23, 2008, 17:38:10
Live is always the test... it beats most recordings, IMHO.
Doesn't matter if they have someone hidden under the stage, performing sequences!!  :smth023

that's it, again!  :-D
i agree !

rodney

I am certainly not the kind of fan who thinks that Robert can do no wrong.  He has and will continue to make what I view to be questionable decisions.  However, this one, for all the world seems like something I should have real problems with, but I don't because mainly they're putting on a show.  A recorded backtrack, or a hidden player is all incidental to creating a mood and a performance.

Carnage Visor

A world outside...my...what? Outside my window? Come now, that's crazy talk!  :eek:
Everyone knows the universe ends right outside my window...

And it's not a little church, it's a cathedral! GOSH!  ;)

:-D

carycameron

Nobody saying you can't criticize R.S.   but when you are posting your opinion on a public forum  you can expect there's going to be responses from different points of view  whether its positive or negative.

carycameron

Oso does have a point.

The latter performances had become quite clinical by the Trilogy-era.  Not to mention Roger's statements about the Acoustic sessions being pre-recorded and mimed too (I'm not concerned either way on that particular performance).

Sure, there are many people would prefer not to hear added sounds
But to say that it "ruins" the concerts "completely" is a little extreme,  I wouldn't think fans agree with that point.

My opinion, it doesn't bother me  but I do wish  Roger was still in the band

Secrets

Quote from: Pooka on February 23, 2008, 17:03:15
I'd take the Trilogy sets over anything 2005-2008.

I'm didn't mean the sets specificially, but the way the music was played around that era by that lineup.

Quote from: carycameron on February 23, 2008, 20:23:12
But to say that it "ruins" the concerts "completely" is a little extreme,  I wouldn't think fans agree with that point.

I'm not sure whether that's directed at me or Oso.  I certainly said nothing of the sort in my post.  I said for me I'd prefer not to have any of the additional pre-recorded instrumentation (e.g. the guitar intro to Want). That's all I was agreeing with. And I'd certainly consider myself a fan. 
But it's like arguing whether vanilla is better than chocolate as it's all personal aesthetics.

I don't think the band are done and dusted.  I found last years concerts very good, and I'm quite confident that the new album will have some fantastic songs.

melly

you see, herein lies the problem... incase you hadn't noticed oso , people in this forum treat each other with respect and kindness. We don't always agree, hell, that would be boring, but the confrontational nature of your posts is what people will take umbrage to. Whilst your opinion of this tour, which by your own admission you haven't even BEEN to will not make any difference to the Cure, your self effacing and rude behaviour will leave a lasting impression on the people here. To come into a fan based forum and spit your abuse not only at the band, but the people in the forum, leaves a lot to be desired.
By all means, air your opinions, but please curtail the venomous way you do so.
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...