codecs to edit video?

Started by angel, June 22, 2008, 22:29:22

Previous topic - Next topic

angel

i can see all videos i download, but when i try to edit a video with "windows movie maker" or "boilsoft video_editor" ( what software do you use?) i can´t work because i haven´t "codecs", what codecs do i need?, have i to remove "xp codec pack 1.3.4" i have?, can you help me?... :(

with hope
...nothing would ever be the same again...

japanesebaby

that depends on the format of the video you are trying to edit.
what formats do you have?

also, what are you trying to do with the videos? how do you want to edit them? cut and paste some clips together or something else perhaps?
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

angel

thanks japanesebaby, i have avi, i wanted to paste two videos, i needed codecs, i´ve downloaded divx codecs and the software work fine now, what software do you use?...

with hope

japanesebaby

depending on what exactly i wanted to do, for any quick jobs i've used mostly this one:
http://www.squared5.com/

both pc and mac versions are available, freeware.
it's a very handy mpeg editor, also good with some other formats like .mov. personally i don't really use divx at all so i can't remember how well it works with divx. can't remember it ever asked me for any missing codecs though: it can always either do the job or not do the job, depending on the format. note that all formats cannot be similarly edited, whatever program/codecs you had.

anyway, it's lightweight, easy to use, and does a good job on those things it can handle.
you can paster files together by opening the first file in the window, copying that, opening the next file and hitting 'paste'.
just remember not to convert the formats if it's not necessary: just hit 'save' after you've done with the editing, not 'convert to...'.

for any more complicated jobs (like audio remastering, filtering etc.) one needs to have a more advanced application. i've mostly used iMovie (on mac) for things like that.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

angel

thanks japanesebaby... :)

with hope