High (Higher Mix)

Started by revolt, July 16, 2008, 13:40:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Padme

Quote from: lordsquidy13 on August 30, 2008, 03:18:52
High is the song that I grew most obsessed with by The Cure and remains to be my favorite, though End is coming close. I always wanted to hear the Higher Mix, and I finally did while browsing Youtube. It's very good, giving you a taste of many of their instruments. I love it.

The Higher Mix is cool but I think the original version is the best.  I love the artwork on the CD single of High.  Nice colors Porl!

sideshow

Quote from: Bloodflower on July 17, 2008, 03:30:31

The Strangelove Mix of Friday is amazing. I adore it. I have the annoying habit of recreating albums, and whenever I re-arrange Wish, it includes the Strangelove mix instead of the album mix of Friday.

thank god im not alone, i do the same thing, and wish really is the best  album to do this with; it has 5 great remixes, open fix , higher , friday im in strangelove,  unstuck from dots, and the US blue mix of letter to elise, plus imo the best grouping of good b-sides since japanese whispers, incl big hand play halo, twilight, scared
face like stone
eyes of ice
mouth so sweetly
telling lies

tothesky1988

Quote from: lostflower4 on July 17, 2008, 08:44:49
I think a lot of the Wish-era remixes were among the best they ever did. Sadly that was really the last time they ever made remixes in the traditional since.

Wild Mood Swings had a few, but most were just totally out there. Anyone remember the Gone single?  :shock:

After that, aside from Maybe Someday, the band pretty much gave up on remixes. What gives?  :?

(sorry, I can't really count the crappy "13mix" stuff)

Wish was the beginning of the end, they dropped a lot afterwards, and lost my interest a long the way. The remixes for the Wish tunes always have this bright air of genius around them, look at Show for the live sound, and compare it to what they sound like during Festival 05. It's just a shame that everything seems to have faltered after wish, which I still regard as the high point of their career.

mambojoe

And let's not forget the very beautiful Extended 12" Remix of Letter To Elise. Talk about dream-like!

tothesky1988

Quote from: mambojoe on March 01, 2011, 10:44:17
And let's not forget the very beautiful Extended 12" Remix of Letter To Elise. Talk about dream-like!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the uh "Blue Mix" you're talking about? If so I love how it was done.

mambojoe

No, no. I'm actually not a big fan of the Blue Mix. I found the sample used for the rhythm a little irritating. I believe it was sampled from a P.I.L. song titled "Round." The Extended 12" Mix is on a promo disc that was not released commercially. It extends the instrumental parts of the song, and uses a phaser to beautiful effect on Robert's voice right at the "...and I let the dream go..." part.
http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=76678

revolt_again

I like this mix so much that I thought it would be a good idea to bring up again this thread, in case anyone missed it before.

I am not sure if the youtube link posted here at the beginning of the thread is working anymore, in case it doesn't this one probably does (although I can't be positively sure either - can't access youtube anymore  :smth011):

High (Higher Mix):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBkY0xCLa0Q

By the way, this 'High' 12" single is together with the 'Lovesong' 12" single my very favourite Cure single to appear in that extended format.