the dark knight (batman II)

Started by japanesebaby, August 06, 2008, 21:42:40

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

has anybody been to this already?:

http://thedarkknight.warnerbros.com/

i went to see that yesterday.
imo heath ledger is great, as expected. we will miss his talent, for sure.
christian bale never lets you down, i've always been a big fan of his. :smth023
i think he is very good as bruce wayne but the moment he's in the bat suit, he slightly suffers from the same thing than all the other batmans before him and becomes a bit stiff. i don't blame it on him (and he surely does a lot better job than other guys before him),  but i think the character just is very difficult to project on the screen. i think there was some joke in the movie about batman's suit and how he wanted a new one because he might "want to be able to turn his head". that's exactly how batman always turn out on the screen, for me: like he was a big ken-barbie in a rubber suit. :P
but in the end i think bale handles it really well, probably because he makes such a great work with portraying mr wayne(?): wayne is not just the "boring, commonplace" face of the character so that you'd just wait for him to get off the screen so that batman can appear, but he's an interesting character such as he is.

ok ok, enough of the analysis. i really liked the film a lot. nolan has done great job once again and manages to keep the whole thing running for about 2 hours 45 minutes.
the cast is pretty stellar, not just the leads already mentioned but to have michael caine, gary oldman, morgan freeman... now that's one hell of a cast indeed. :smth023
worth checking out.  :smth023
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Janko

How much CGI of Heath is there?

Is it visible?!
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

japanesebaby

Quote from: Janko on August 06, 2008, 22:26:35
How much CGI of Heath is there?

Is it visible?!

was there CGI used to fill in something for him? i've thought it was all in the can and  the film was already in post-production by the time of ledger's death(?)

i certainly saw nothing that would have looked like a "CGI joker".

it was 'the imaginarium of dr. parnassus' by terry gilliam that was left incomplete. gilliam suspneded the project but it looks like they found a way to finish the film with johnny depp, jude law and colin farrel filling in for him (i don't know anything about the script/story line but it sounds to me like the story allows several actors to play that one part, without even trying to make everyone look the same):

http://www.usmagazine.com/johnny_depp_among_stars_to_replace_heath_ledger_in_film

according to IMDB the film should be in post-production now.

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 06, 2008, 21:42:40

"Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe."

:-D

japanesebaby

Quote from: revolt on August 07, 2008, 17:01:55

"Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe."

phil's ok but i kind of prefer huey:

"You like Huey Lewis and the News?"
"They're OK."
"Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83,I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humour.
"Hey Halberstram."
"Yes, Allen?"
"Why are there copies of the Style section all over the place, d-do you have a dog? A little chow or something?"
"No, Allen."
"Is that a rain coat?"
"Yes it is! In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself. [raises axe above head] Hey Paul!"
[he bashes Allen in the head with the axe, and blood splatters over him]
"TRY GETTING A RESERVATION AT DORSIA NOW YOU f*cking STUPID BASTARD! YOU, f*cking BASTARD! "

Steve

I read that book some years before the film & it is still a million times better than the film (IMHO)

Back OT
Best batfilm of the lot.
Ledger's joker is so much more believable than Nicholson.
No perfect make up, but a ghastly painted face with the straggly hair.
The pencil trick was a bit of a shock.
He was a completely convincing psychotic villain.
Remember how in the Star Wars films, everything was made to look used & a bit battered, rather than shiny & new & gleaming?
Well, that's more or less how this joker has be constructed.
It is brutal & it is dark & if anyone has read the hype.
Believe it!
Go see it. You'll kick yourself if you miss it.
8)
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

~*CherryRed*~

Quote from: revolt on August 07, 2008, 17:01:55

Hahahahahahahaha :smth044 EXCELLENT!
"prone to flights of whimsy"

~*CherryRed*~

Can anyone tell me WHY they... the powers that be, decided to re-do the Batman films anyway??????

japanesebaby

Quote from: ~*CherryRed*~ on August 30, 2008, 14:31:27
Can anyone tell me WHY they... the powers that be, decided to re-do the Batman films anyway??????

hmm, simply because someone needed a bit more this perhaps? :lol:

anyway, i do like the chris nolan's versions a lot more than tim burton ones. i just couldn't help it that to me burton's gotham city (including it's habitants) looked and felt like it was made out of cardboard, it just didn't work somehow. nolan's films are the first ones that are succeeding, imo (let's not even mention 'batman and robin' etc. :roll:)
it's a challenge to make a super hero film in a more or less realistic style. it seems to be easier to recede into a full fantasy land (like burton did)...  but i think the realistic ones are the ones that work best, when they happen to work (of course when they don't work, they are really dreadful -anyway).
btw i think the best super hero film ever is m. night shyamalan's 'unbreakable' - which isn't actually a super hero film is the same sense than all the other ones - but that's exactly why it's so good. it's the only true one. 

~*CherryRed*~

Hmm, I liked the Burton versions... But then I am a sucker for his stuff. I guess I agree with your point of view however Jap.baby... I actually haven't seen the 'newer' ones as I really didn't feel the need to revisit Batman, as it had been done before. But maybe I should hire them out one day and take a look so I can compare also! Unbreakable was a good flick wasn't it! What a concept hey - surprised it hadn't been thought of before that. Mr Shyamalan has done a few GREAT films has he not!

japanesebaby

Quote from: ~*CherryRed*~ on August 31, 2008, 03:38:37
Hmm, I liked the Burton versions... But then I am a sucker for his stuff. I guess I agree with your point of view however Jap.baby... I actually haven't seen the 'newer' ones as I really didn't feel the need to revisit Batman, as it had been done before. But maybe I should hire them out one day and take a look so I can compare also! Unbreakable was a good flick wasn't it! What a concept hey - surprised it hadn't been thought of before that. Mr Shyamalan has done a few GREAT films has he not!

for fairness sake, i do like tim burton too. i just think he wasn't at his best with his batman movies. personally i'd say his best film is 'ed wood' which is actually one of the more realistic ones.
looking forward for the upcoming CGI version of alice in wonderland by the way.

Unbreakable was a good flick wasn't it! What a concept hey - surprised it hadn't been thought of before that.

exactly! i think that's where he really excels sometimes, making you think "oh this is marvellous now how come noone ever thought of this before?". he makes it seem so easy, finding these new ways to look at all the old  - which means he's really good at what he does!
i know i'm veering of a bit here now as this isn't supposed to be mr. shyamalan's thread, anyway: i think 'signs' is also a great example of that, finding a fresh and realistic way to make a movie about alien invasion. 
people always talk about the "compulsory" surprise endings in his movies as if that was his only talent. i think his greatest talent is in finding those new ways to tell the old stories.

~*CherryRed*~

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 31, 2008, 14:21:07

for fairness sake, i do like tim burton too. i just think he wasn't at his best with his batman movies.

Well, Japanesebaby, here we go disagreeing again...  ;) I really think Burton's Batman movies work just fine. It's a cartoon character, it's only natural that his approach has something of cartoonish... I think he is usually great at creating the right atmosphere for his movies and in here we find no exception. So, maybe not Tim Burton's two very best movies (actually, 'Nightmare Before Christmas' is my personal favourite of his), but very fine, nonetheless.

Actually, come to think of it, Tim Burton would probably be just the right man to film a new Cure video... But the band would have to come with some really good music for it, or it would be a waste of talent.

PS: I haven't checked Nolan's films, though. Truth be said, I generally don't like films based on cartoon characters...

nausearockpig

not sure if anyone here reads batman comics but the Joker has white skin due to chemical bleaching. NOT MAKE-UP

~*CherryRed*~

Well yeah, if my memory serves me well, in the Burton film the Joker gets dumped into a vat doesn't he? And thus you get his 'awful' smile and a white/bleached face that he covers with make-up. It has been years since I've watched my video of it... Hmm, maybe I might have to go and dust it off for another watch! (hehehe) If in the newer film the Joker just applies make-up to seem freaky, that does sound a tad odd and against the comic?!? And I wrong or am I wrong???