The Cure in J. Lydon and P. Hook books

Started by cheyler, May 10, 2015, 17:59:42

Previous topic - Next topic

cheyler

Just finished Lydon's newest book.  Halfway through, there's a short bit about The Cure.  I'm going to paraphrase since I don't want to take a piece of someone else's published work and just plop it down word for word.  Doesn't strike me as a good idea.

Lydon says he remembers that in 1989 The Cure came over on the QE2 to start the American leg of the Prayer Tour, and there was a rumor that the band played on the boat on the way over.  He doesn't know how much truth there was in it, but he thought it was a great idea.  (I wanted to clarify that first sentence.  Lydon remembers The Cure came over on the QE2, not the when or the why or the what for, I filled that stuff in as reference points.)

I'm guessing that since I've never heard that rumor once in the 26 years since, and the fact that Roger flew over and wasn't on the boat, it probably didn't take place.

Lydon goes on to say he's never met RS or anyone else in the band, and they are complete strangers to him, which he's happy about in an odd sort of way.  He says that every time he's met people whose music he likes, he's never liked them.  Sounds like Rotten likes/has liked some of The Cure's work.  Why the hell not.

Peter Hook (Joy Division) wrote a very interesting book, finished that a couple days ago.  He mentions that JD opened for The Cure a couple times in late 1978, neither turned out to be the Hope & Anchor gig in December, after which Ian had his first fit on the drive back up north.  He claims The Cure never even acknowledged his/their presence at either gig.  Maybe.  BUT, I'd put it down to JD not putting themselves forward in any conspicuous fashion, just being 'not there' as they tended to be when not on stage.  Doesn't really matter at this point anyway.

Good reads, I recommend either or both.

Ulrich

Quote from: cheyler on May 10, 2015, 17:59:42
Sounds like Rotten likes/has liked some of The Cure's work.

Possible. Robert also said (around 1981?) that the liked PiL.

Quote from: cheyler on May 10, 2015, 17:59:42Peter Hook (Joy Division) wrote a very interesting book, finished that a couple days ago. He mentions that JD opened for The Cure a couple times in late 1978

This suggests that it happened early 1979:
http://www.cure-concerts.de/concerts/1979-03-04.php

See also this article, in which Lol responds to claims by P.Hook in his book:
http://www.spin.com/2013/02/cure-lol-tolhurst-peter-hook-memoir-bollocks-sell-out/
Quote"...I understand Peter Hook has a new book out wherein he speaks about a certain 1979 gig that Joy Division supported the Cure at? Well I remember that particular gig too and my memory is somewhat different from Pete's. See we arranged a show at the Marquee club in London for every Sunday for a month (called it a month of Sundays I think) and picked every band that opened for us. Because we, LIKED them and wanted to help them out. Not for any reason other than that."
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

piggymirror

Quote from: cheyler on May 10, 2015, 17:59:42Lydon goes on to say he's never met RS or anyone else in the band, and they are complete strangers to him, which he's happy about in an odd sort of way.  He says that every time he's met people whose music he likes, he's never liked them.  Sounds like Rotten likes/has liked some of The Cure's work.  Why the hell not.

According to Robert Smith, and as already posted at the Banshees (feat.Robert Smith) thread, The Cure and PIL met coincidentally at a hotel during the Wish tour (both booked it for the same night).

And for what Robert said, Lydon wasn't exactly friendly to The Cure.
McGeoch was, but then again he was friends with Robert.

John Lydon's a bit of an oddball, it seems.

cheyler

Oddball in the extreme, always has been.  Very smart, very sensible as well.  Lydon may have been 'cold' in order to maintain the illusion as he mentioned earlier, not wanting to get to know them so he could keep his preconceived notions about them.  It's not like they were going to become great friends, but a quick 'hello' wouldn't have been out of place.  Their 'meeting' must have been in Europe because they weren't in the States at the same time.  PiL was in Seattle in late February on an MTV package tour with Blind Melon, 'Live' and Big Audio Dynamite.  The Cure were in Seattle on the 1st of July.

Ulrich

Quote from: piggymirror on August 16, 2016, 20:25:20
John Lydon's a bit of an oddball, it seems.

Well... I guess so.

From an interview with Glen Matlock:

QuoteWhatever happened to the new song you wrote for the Pistols, which you said sounded like Pink Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive?
It's still around, unfinished. Then Paul had a good idea for a tune but John said it sounded too much like the Sex Pistols. You can't win with some people, can you?
:lol:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/apr/11/glen-matlock-interview-sex-pistols-johnny-rotten?

cheyler

Thanks for the link, Ulrich.  Hadn't seen this one before.

piggymirror

Quote from: cheyler on May 10, 2015, 17:59:42
Just finished Lydon's newest book.  Halfway through, there's a short bit about The Cure.  I'm going to paraphrase since I don't want to take a piece of someone else's published work and just plop it down word for word.  Doesn't strike me as a good idea.

Lydon says he remembers that in 1989 The Cure came over on the QE2 to start the American leg of the Prayer Tour, and there was a rumor that the band played on the boat on the way over.  He doesn't know how much truth there was in it, but he thought it was a great idea.  (I wanted to clarify that first sentence.  Lydon remembers The Cure came over on the QE2, not the when or the why or the what for, I filled that stuff in as reference points.)

I'm guessing that since I've never heard that rumor once in the 26 years since, and the fact that Roger flew over and wasn't on the boat, it probably didn't take place.

Lydon goes on to say he's never met RS or anyone else in the band, and they are complete strangers to him, which he's happy about in an odd sort of way.  He says that every time he's met people whose music he likes, he's never liked them.  Sounds like Rotten likes/has liked some of The Cure's work.  Why the hell not.

Come to think of it, there may be a reason why Lydon sort of feared an encounter with Robert.

Robert is friends with Severin, and obviously played with the Banshees.
He might even have met Steve Jones and Paul Cook by the time of Join Hands/Kaleidoscope. This is a possibility.
Siouxsie or Severin might also have told him a thing or two about Lydon.
After all, they knew him (and also Sid Vicious).

Or maybe not, maybe Lydon is just extremely shy. This is likely too.

Ulrich

Quote from: piggymirror on September 28, 2017, 07:18:23
Or maybe not, maybe Lydon is just extremely shy. This is likely too.

As you said yourself above, I think he's just an "oddball".  :lol: