Favourite bands besides The Cure

Started by rdruiz8, July 18, 2005, 21:59:26

Previous topic - Next topic

PetShopBoy

Quote from: Ulrich on January 19, 2018, 10:18:27
Why? Your taste isn't above everyone else's, or is it?  :?

My taste is so superior to everybody else in the known galaxy that even questioning me is blasphemy.

Wee 'lil joke.

What I was originally trying to say without the tongue in cheek goofiness, is that there are 3 kinds of folks who heard the recent Slowdive album...

1. Folks who loved it
2. Folks who were like meh whatev
3. Folks who were like errr umm nope

...and if you were ALREADY in Group #1 (hooray for Group #1)...
...and you were weird enough to have a yearly ranking of albums (congrats on not being that weird lol)...
...then is there anybody who is like oh yeah I loved that Slowdive album but yeah it was like only #4 for me last year...
...because there were somehow 3 mysterious albums that were more Disintegration-Shoegaze-Awesome...
...and I was all, no way, cmon, really?

The larger point is that I have embarrassingly narrow taste.

Hope that made more sense.

Ulrich

Quote from: PetShopBoy on January 19, 2018, 15:17:23
My taste is so superior to everybody else in the known galaxy that even questioning me is blasphemy.

Okay, boss!  :-D

Quote from: PetShopBoy on January 19, 2018, 15:17:23
The larger point is that I have embarrassingly narrow taste.

Hope that made more sense.

Yep. You can work on it.  ;)

Oh and by the way, I looked at the list I'd posted here, you can forget that one. (I think I'd already edited it once or twice.) It's sometimes really hard to tell who are my faves. Some days I might prefer the shoegazing/melancholy sound, other days I might prefer punk/rock, others I might prefer blues or singer/songwriter, others maybe classical... aaaah, I might go crazy putting all that into a coherent list...  :smth100
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

dsanchez

Currently listening this Icelandic band.... found it while browsing for Vienna concerts. Very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb2fwBjXTRk
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

PetShopBoy

Quote from: dsanchez on January 19, 2018, 09:31:28
Wow! Impressing! Welcome to curefans.com!

Thanks.

Ok, so here we are...

31 bands remain.

Tied for 25th are the 7 bands which were mentioned 8 times each in this thread:

Kate Bush
Led Zeppelin
My Bloody Valentine
Placebo
The Beatles
The Doors
The Jesus & Mary Chain

My favorite there is MBV, but JAMC are great too.

I have never heard of The Beatles. Or Placebo. Half-joke. :)

PetShopBoy

Tied for 23rd are the 2 artists which were mentioned 9 times each in this thread:

Bjork
Nirvana

I love Bjork too (though some of it freaks me out) - and yet have somehow never heard much from Nirvana (other than that one acoustic disc), but I was so immersed in synth-pop, shoegaze, britpop, and all the rest that I pretty much just pretended the whole grunge thing simply didn't happen. Hence the whole self-deprecating narrow taste bit.

Tied for 19th are the 4 artists which were mentioned 10 times each in this thread:

Cranes
Morrissey
Muse
The Clash

Seriously, I don't think I have ever heard Cranes, so that will be a cool project. And even though I don't really like punk, of course The Clash are fun.

I am totally in the tank for The Smiths (setting aside all the silly rivalry with The Cure from back in the day)... they hardly ever made a bad song to my ear... but Morrissey's solo stuff slowed down quickly for me... and has been dicey ever since... lots of good songs... but so much to skip... I have a rule for my Smiths/Morrissey playlist, which is that there can't be more Morrissey songs than Smiths songs... so every new meh album comes out and I tinker.

I love Muse so much, I actually went to a concert recently. I don't get out much. So that was a big deal.
:smth006

dsanchez

Do I need to choose a band(s) here? An easy choice here: MBV and JAMCH

Anyway #np

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Om4meS-SyI
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

PetShopBoy

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

PetShopBoy

Tied for 17th are the 2 bands with 12 votes each...

The Mission
U2

I love U2 too even though that is uncool. Still, the one time I saw them was mid-90s from the Pop album, worst concert I ever attended. But then again, I don't get out much.

I really need to listen to The Mission - obviously I have been missing out on something special!

:smth024

Tied for 14th are the 3 bands with 13 votes each...

Mogwai
Pixies
Smashing Pumpkins

Mogwai is wonderful - though I would enjoy more experimentation from them and fewer soundtracks - but hey their classic stuff is delightful.

I am curious if any of the those Pumpkins fans like the latter stuff, as opposed to the classic albums.

Well, looks like we are basically ready for the Top 10-ish Results!...

popcorn

PetShopBoy

I will present the final winners here as a simple list, and step aside, as I hereby relinquish my highjacking of this thread.

1) Joy Division (33 votes)
2) Siouxsie & The Banshees (29 votes)
3) Depeche Mode (27 votes)
4) New Order (22 votes)
t5) Pink Floyd (19 votes)
t5) The Smiths (19 votes)
t7) Bauhaus (18 votes)
t7) Interpol (18 votes)
t7) Radiohead (18 votes)
t10) Cocteau Twins (14 votes)
t10) David Bowie (14 votes)
t10) Echo & The Bunnymen (14 votes)
t10) Sisters Of Mercy (14 votes)

These final results speak for themselves - gems all.
Cheers.

dsanchez

Thanks for a fine work! I have to say, I am not too surprised about the results although I would have loved if SLowdive made it the top 10 :)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

PetShopBoy

Thanks.

Yeah, I would recommend more folks to revisit Slowdive, The Chameleons, Sigur Ros, and, of course, the Pet Shop Boys... but one step at a time, right? hehe

PS - the recent Ride comeback album is also solid, though the best track is on an EP.